Security beeps while exiting a store.

This is a discussion on Security beeps while exiting a store. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was grocery shopping at Fred Meyer with my daughter and had my LC9 on my side IWB. The security gates alarmed when I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Security beeps while exiting a store.

Security beeps while exiting a store.

Yesterday I was grocery shopping at Fred Meyer with my daughter and had my LC9 on my side IWB. The security gates alarmed when I entered the store and when I exited.

I was questioned by a store employee when I left about what I purchased that could have set off the alarm--clothing or meat. (Steak? Really?!?) Anyway, I was getting kinda nervous that he was questioning me so much. Finally I gathered some confidence and told him all I bought was groceries and maybe it could have been my iPhone or keys that set it off. Could it have been my LC9 that set off the alarm? What should I do if I ever get the grand inquisition? Have you ever had to reveal that you had a concealed weapon to get them off your case? Offer to let them search your bags? I used to work at Target and 99.9% of the time, we just waved people through when the alarm beeped, knowing that it was likely false because they just walked from the check lanes to the door.

I got a bit uncomfortable there for a few minutes.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    If it was a security system checking for anti theft stuff, then your gun did not set it off. If guns set those off then every person walking through the store would have their belt buckles, or watches, pocket knives setting it off.

What most likely happend is the clerk did not disable the anti theft sticker on your juicy tenderloin, causing it to set off the alarm.

I would have just handed them the bag and asked them to disable all the tags, and go about my business.

After re-reading your post, you probably had a bag from a prior purchase in your pocket or a piece of trash that wasn't disabled with an anti theft sticker setting it off.

At my part time job we had a guy who always set off the alarm coming and going, i finally asked for his range bag, and asked if I could find what was setting it off. He had purchased 4 AR mags and the clerk didn't disable the secuirty stickers on any of them, they were hiding at the bottom of his bag. I know he purchased them because he had the receipt in side one of the plastic brownell bags. We threw away alls his trash, and it hasn't happend since.
    ironmike86 and nerdyvirgin like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

my daughter bought a purse that had a anti-theft sticker stuck inside one of the inside pockets. it took several times setting off alarms like that at retail places around town to find out what it was (you wouldn't find unless you were looking for it). a gun is just metal and plastic. shouldn't do anything to an anti-theft sensor.

those things also just go off sometimes for no reason. I never stop. never been chased down either.
    tcox4freedom and SIGguy229 like this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Wikipedia has a pretty good write up on the different tagging systems as wells as discussing the subject of "tag pollution". It could have been a non-deactivated tag from somewhere else or, depending on the type of system, any number of things that just resonated at the right frequency.

As far as handling the clerk, I think this subject has come up before and my recollection is that you are under no obligation to either a non LEO either detain or search you. Simply give them a polite response, answering no to any "may we search" type questions and keep going right on out the door.
    ArkhmAsylm and BenGoodLuck like this.

check your daughters pockets.

I always keep walking when I set those off. They have absolutely no right to search you. One time at Wal-Mart I had an employee follow me out into the parking lot and demand to see my receipt. I stood there in the parking lot for several minutes while he looked through everything. Finally I told him I have to go and had no more time for this. He became panicked and wouldn't let go of my receipt. Eventually I yanked it away from him and told him to call the cops if he felt I'd stolen something. I said I'd be happy to wait for the cops, but I was not going to wait any longer on him. I figure that puts them on the spot. Do they feel the situation is serious enough to call the cops and risk looking like a bunch of idiots? Or do they want to drop it.

It really amazes me to this day that those security stickers even work. I mean, they obviously must help or companies wouldn't spend the money on them. But you'd have to be a pretty dumb crook to steal something and not remove the security device first. Then again, most crooks are dumb, so I guess I answered my own question.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I had an un-disabled tag in a wallet. The wallet sat in my closet a long time before I needed to use it in place of one that wore out. For several days I was getting beeped going in and out of stores and the post office, didn't have a clue. Finally remembered the new wallet and inspected it closely, found the tag.

I keep that tag around. If someone really aggravates me some day, I'm gonna plant it on them just make their life a little less pleasant for a while!
    accessbob, nerdyvirgin and MleeC like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcake View Post
    Yesterday I was grocery shopping at Fred Meyer with my daughter and had my LC9 on my side IWB. The security gates alarmed when I entered the store and when I exited.~~ snip
    Since it sounded when you went in, I would not spend too much time worrying about it. I would say that you should have told that to the employee and then checked your shoes to see if either you or your daughter might have stepped on a security tag before entering, or possibly there is a tag on an article of clothing that may never have been removed or deactivated.. possibly even your purse if it is fairly new and higher end one. Had a problem with a Coach Bag my wife had purchased that had a thin black security tag inside against a seam where it would not have been felt by most people.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

VIP Member
    I kind of have mixed feelings about the anti-shoplifting alarms. On one hand if it deters shoplifting then the reduced thefts should keep consumer prices low (at least that's how it should work in theory). On the other hand, I'm not a shoplifter, I'm a respectful decent customer and I don't care for some alarm going off, or digital voice telling me to stop, the whole scenario, though innocent is somewhat accusatory that I might be a thief.
    nerdyvirgin, Hopyard and DaveH like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well, the security devices are somewhat of a deterrent although they are also an inconvenience to honest customers who have to have the devices removed or deactivated. Personally, I'm not sure they are worth all the trouble since professional thieves can go on the internet and purchase the equipment to deactivate them. I'm sure it probably stops some of the kids from stealing and people who steal simply because the opportunity presents itself.

I've seen people with pacemakers set off the sensors entering and leaving the store.

As far as store personnel stopping you, they have no authority to do that. They can ask to see receipts, but if you refuse, legally they have to let you walk. If they ever actually stop you for shoplifting, they have you on video stealing. Anything other than actual video of you stealing poses too much of a risk of a lawsuit, at least that's been the experience everywhere that I've worked.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Well, the security devices are somewhat of a deterrent although they are also an inconvenience to honest customers who have to have the devices removed or deactivated. Personally, I'm not sure they are worth all the trouble since professional thieves can go on the internet and purchase the equipment to deactivate them. I'm sure it probably stops some of the kids from stealing and people who steal simply because the opportunity presents itself.
    Back in the early 90's I worked in a few outlets of a music (record) store chain for about 4 years. Needless to say, theft was a real problem and they used the inventory control / anti-theft systems. I can say that in all my experiences over the four years, I never saw them catch or stop one thief, but I had seem them go off on the item that was just purchased on many occasions.

Why would you admit to a "security" guard at a grocery store that you were carrying? It would just create a hassle. Why would you consent to any search?

Just act cool and carry on with what you were doing. Don't be impolite, but don't go out of your way to please them.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Back in the early 90's I worked in a few outlets of a music (record) store chain for about 4 years. Needless to say, theft was a real problem and they used the inventory control / anti-theft systems. I can say that in all my experiences over the four years, I never saw them catch or stop one thief, but I had seem them go off on the item that was just purchased on many occasions.
    I have too. Our registers are supposed to deactivate the sensor as the item is scanned. Most of the time that works, but sometimes it doesn't, and you really have no way of knowing until the customer passes through the pylons. We just wave them through. Obviously, situations vary from one retailer to another and even from one employee to another.

I don't have any problem with people checking my receipt. If it escalated beyond that, I would simply ask "Do I need to contact my attorney, or am I free to go now?"
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Too Funny! the (EAS) Electronic article surveillance systems, their a real pain, their actually geared more towards employee theft The system can be anoining at times.

I don't stop either. I have a bag from a legit transaction. If they try to stop me they will get an earful and lose a customer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links