Add Red Lobster to the list - Page 5

Add Red Lobster to the list

This is a discussion on Add Red Lobster to the list within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With regards to a sign having the force of law..... Folks, we are exercising our rights to carry - and if a person on private ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Add Red Lobster to the list

With regards to a sign having the force of law.....

Folks, we are exercising our rights to carry - and if a person on private (or corporate) property chooses to post a sign - they are within their rights as property owners to do so. As I said in a different forum, respect opens doors - disrespect closes them. If we expect people to respect our rights, why is it ok for us to disrespect theirs? Its not.... Exercise your rights - but do so responsibly.

Oh well...they were too expensive anyways. ;)
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

My wife and I eat at RL yesterday here in Oklahoma. There was no firearms sign on the door. here in Oklahoma the signs do not carry the weight of the law. my carry was on my side the whole time I eat. :)

Quote Originally Posted by electriccowb View Post
    My wife and I eat at RL yesterday here in Oklahoma. There was no firearms sign on the door. here in Oklahoma the signs do not carry the weight of the law. my carry was on my side the whole time I eat. :)
    Well according to handgunlaw.us they do have the weight of law

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oklahoma.pdf

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    For future reference

Since you say that there was no "international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of guns", did the "badge" sign "contain language substantially similar to the following:
    AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE"? If not, then, in TN, the sign did not have any force.
    After reviewing Tennessee's rules and regulations it appears that any can use any signage to indicate that guns are forbidden as long as the signs are clearly posted near the entrances.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Red Lobster & Olive Garden (Same owners) went off my list when they refused to allow a US flag inside for a Veteran Group luncheon. The group had to make believe the flag was behind the podium. They said it had to do with a concern for anyone bringing in banners, etc... Last time I was there, I saw a birthday banner which I guess is OK...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I was taught in my ccw class that any posted sign expressing clearly that firearms are not allowed must be honored in Tn. Our city parks here have the circled gun with slash and that is strictly enforced
    The state exempts city parks from prohibition, but cities can opt out of the exemption.
    Reading Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-1309 together with Chapter 428 indicates that the legislature intended to allow handgun carry permit holders to carry their firearms into public parks except onto athletic fields and into other recreation areas at times when they are actually being used by schools.
    Some Nashville parks are postage-stamp size. So one has to be aware where they are stepping. Also, a significant amount of Nashville's violent crime happens in city parks. So one has to be aware, generally. Nashville and many other cities exercised their power of prohibition over carry in municipal parks as follows:
    (d) Notwithstanding subdivision (b)(1)(H), any municipality or county may prohibit, by resolution adopted by a majority vote of its legislative body, persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, from possessing the handgun while within or on a public park that is owned or operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. If a legislative body elects to prohibit the possession of handguns within a park, the prohibition shall apply to the entire park, notwithstanding subdivision (b)(1)(H). If the area is jointly owned or operated by municipalities or counties, then a resolution adopted by a majority vote of all affected legislative bodies, voting individually, is necessary for the municipalities or counties to prohibit persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 from possessing the handgun while within the park.
    After reviewing Tennessee's rules and regulations it appears that any can use any signage to indicate that guns are forbidden as long as the signs are clearly posted near the entrances.
    It's not about "rules and regulations". It's about the law. The law says that the signs have to be either
    "The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or.... it shall contain language substantially similar to the following: AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.
    To have force of law, a sign has to be a circle with a slash through a gun or have wording similar to that quoted. There are other specific requirements of the signs, "Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted". That's the black and white of it, Kimberpackn. And I like Red Lobster.
    Last edited by Pistology; May 1st, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I was taught in my ccw class that any posted sign expressing clearly that firearms are not allowed must be honored in Tn. Our city parks here have the circled gun with slash and that is strictly enforced
    Kimbepackn, read the Attorney General opinion here(specifically #2): http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...ivateBldgs.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am curious about how much discretion franchise owners have in this. It seems to vary location by location. Almost nothing here is posted... only Buffalo Wild Wings, a couple of local banks, and IBM. None of our local restaurants, chain restaurants, or stores are posted. I think most of them have decided not to post and just follow whatever state law is.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Red Lobster is overrated and overpriced when it comes to seafood in my opinion.
    The only thing that I really liked were the cheesy biscuts. Now I have another reason
    to avoid going to Red Lobster.
    DaveH likes this.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

I'm currently sitting at a table in Red Lobster across from McCain Mall in North Little Rock, Ar with a full size m1911-a1 .45 on my belt. There is no sign at this location.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

I say choose your battles. We may not like the law and their right to apply it but it is what it is. We operate within the law.The private business/property has for a long time had this option.Its not new, its not a threat to our 2A right to keep and bear arms. If you like their food,eat there. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.Ask them if they are willing to accept the liability for your safety if something goes south. Ask them what security they provide for you and your family. Tell them in no uncertain terms that if they deny you the opportunity to protect yourself you will hold them 100% liable. When they tell you they will call the police,ask them what their response time is,and how much damage could be done while their waiting. Ask the manager if he will personally come to your table and protect you and your family while you all wait for the police to arrive.Give them something to think about,maybe,just maybe they will reconsider their posistion.If they do,we win,if they don't,eat up.

Funny, just ate at Red Lobster this afternoon with the wife, and there was no sign...this is in Wichita, Kansas.

Only problem with that Steve, is , The BGs don't care a wit about your rules.What you have created is a more unsafe place for your customers. You make (force them) to become sheep with no defense if a BG decides he wants to go nuts. Tell your customers that you will personally protect each and every one of them until the calvery arrives.That you have denied them a fundamental human right to self preservation,and that you take full responsibility for their safety,in fact you guarantee it. You and people that think like you live in a fantasy world. Do you think the thugs,druggies,punks and scum bags don't plan anything. They know where to go where there will be no protection. Could be many resons for RL's posistion on firearms,but don't insult our intellegence by telling us its to make your customers safer.Please.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Must be a local thing, eat at the one here in Texas never seen a sign
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links