NM now honors only 5 states

This is a discussion on NM now honors only 5 states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States A sad day....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: NM now honors only 5 states

Thumbs down NM now honors only 5 states

2. Remove Ads

Other states have tried the same - until they realize how much of their tourism/hunting dollars will be spent in other states.
    GhostMaker and WHEC724 like this.

see what happens when liberals are in charge? what happened there? guns were a part of the culture there.
    I guess the santa fe koomba ya crowd has gotten too powerful
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 28th, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Olderndirt and JoJoGunn like this.

This is sad, but they still allow permitless OC.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The only one of the 5 states that even issues a non-resident CC permit looks to be ND, according to handgunlaw.us. One of the onerous steps required to get a ND non-res permit is you have to take their written test administered by someone in ND. On top of that, the ND permit is only good for 3 years.

The only thing left going for NM is that it is an open carry state. This would practically be the only way for most of us to carry their if we decided to visit.

Wow, it looks like I am still covered here from Nebraska. I wonder just what made Nebraska so special?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    My in laws are in NM.

Drat, now we can't visit them.
    TheShadow, Phaedrus and gtv like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Does anyone know definitively what is behind the sudden change in NM's reciprocity agreements? As I understand it, these are established by unelected persons, not voted on by their Legislature. New kid in town, shift in the political winds, or what???
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That bites, now if I go to AZ I guess i'll have to OC while heading thru NM,cause I'm not gonna drive 12 hours out of the way just to bypass NM.I'll just gas up before I leave Texas and make sure the only thing I stop for is to P
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Guess if we head back to Colorado at some point, we'll go via Kansas.

Yup, just come up through the panhandles and jump on 287. no kansas required :)

This is interesting. From the NM website.

New Mexico statute 29-19-12E requires that in order for a state to be recognized by NM, their provisions have to be “at least as stringent or substantially similar” to New Mexico. NMDPS has generally found six things that make a state substantially different from New Mexico, and therefore would disqualify that state from being recognized:

Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
    No fingerprint-based background check;
    Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
    Permits issued to resident aliens;
    No classroom (static) training required;
    No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

So, for TX, the only difference is the permit is issued by the state rather than locally, correct? It will be more interesting if the 'offended' states reject NM's permit.

Thanks Inhuman, never gone that way, but looks easy enough.
    Buckj likes this.

Well, will change my trip route now and go around New Mexico.... this really sucks. I'll go across Southern Colorado and drop down into Arizona. Wanted to visit several places along the way in NM, but won't spend a dime there now.

We meet every requirement they have, but ... a change in our law now allows "resident aliens" to have a permit.... so that's the reason they had to use to eliminate us. I'm betting that our AG will drop New Mexico off our recognized list as well, since our law requires "recriprocal agreements " with the other state.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Does anyone know definitively what is behind the sudden change in NM's reciprocity agreements? As I understand it, these are established by unelected persons, not voted on by their Legislature. New kid in town, shift in the political winds, or what???
    READ THE N.M. PRESS RELEASE !
    They wrote the changes INTO their own CCW LAW!!!

Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

If your Home State doesn't require even ONE of the Following - you will NOT be given reciprocity!!!
    ----------------
    New Mexico statute 29-19-12E requires that in order for a state to be recognized by NM, their provisions have to be “at least as stringent or substantially similar” to New Mexico. NMDPS has generally found six things that make a state substantially different from New Mexico, and therefore would disqualify that state from being recognized:

1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
    2. No fingerprint-based background check;
    3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
    4. Permits issued to resident aliens;
    5. No classroom (static) training required;
    6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

-----------

IE : my state (PA) doesn't require fingerprints OR LIVE FIRE
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm betting this comes back and "bites them" in the long run. If NM residents find their licenses won't be recognized as well in other states that require recripocal agreements (which many do), they won't be happy campers. Looks like NM needs to make some adjustments in their law and criteria.

It does make me wonder "why" they are doing this or what prompted it, because our state recripocal agreement with them occurred only a couple of months ago.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links