Purdue University visit tomorrow

This is a discussion on Purdue University visit tomorrow within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are visiting a grandchild at Purdue University tomorrow for the first time. We are both CHLs. Would someone give a short ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By smolck
  • 1 Post By Louis

Thread: Purdue University visit tomorrow

My wife and I are visiting a grandchild at Purdue University tomorrow for the first time. We are both CHLs. Would someone give a short summary of concealed carry regulations on campus and/or the streets around the campus? Thanks!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    When I visited there a few years ago, I remember it was against school policy to carry on campus property. You'll have to double-check the laws, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMonoDelMar View Post
    When I visited there a few years ago, I remember it was against school policy to carry on campus property. You'll have to double-check the laws, but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal.
    Thanks!

Yep, it's against school policy. Here's a link to the campus police website, which has a statement about it.

Purdue Policies

Following the link on that page and running a search for "weapon" on the site it takes you to gives you this list of weapon-related policies:

Purdue University Policies

The long and short of it seems to be that you can neither carry nor store a weapon on any property "owned, used, or occupied by Purdue University." I don't know how that applies to a weapon secured in your car in a university lot (is it on university property because it's in the lot, or not because it's in your car?), but it's pretty clear that you can't legally carry on your person while on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ampre View Post
    Yep, it's against school policy. Here's a link to the campus police website, which has a statement about it.

Purdue Policies

Following the link on that page and running a search for "weapon" on the site it takes you to gives you this list of weapon-related policies:

Purdue University Policies

The long and short of it seems to be that you can neither carry nor store a weapon on any property "owned, used, or occupied by Purdue University." I don't know how that applies to a weapon secured in your car in a university lot (is it on university property because it's in the lot, or not because it's in your car?), but it's pretty clear that you can't legally carry on your person while on campus.
    I'm gonna pick some nits here. State law does not seem to preclude CC on college campus. It's only stated in a university POLICY. Now that policy says visitors should know about it (or if they stated it more clearly, who the policy applies to.) Let me ask you, do you go looking through all the policy manuals of all the places you visit on an occasional basis? That could be a daunting, full time job. The university may not want visitors to carry, but I think the only way they could enforce such against a visitor is if A. the university grounds are posted, and B. they find that you are carrying and request you leave. According to the info at handgunlaw.us, signs don't carry force of law in IN.

Just my two cents.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Concealed means concealed. What others don't know can't hurt them. That is my stance on the matter.
    hike2fish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    I'm gonna pick some nits here. State law does not seem to preclude CC on college campus. It's only stated in a university POLICY. Now that policy says visitors should know about it (or if they stated it more clearly, who the policy applies to.) Let me ask you, do you go looking through all the policy manuals of all the places you visit on an occasional basis? That could be a daunting, full time job. The university may not want visitors to carry, but I think the only way they could enforce such against a visitor is if A. the university grounds are posted, and B. they find that you are carrying and request you leave. According to the info at handgunlaw.us, signs don't carry force of law in IN.

Just my two cents.
    Good point. From what I can find poking around on the internet for 5 minutes, it seems you're absolutely correct: this is a matter of university policy only, and is not clearly backed by state law.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampre View Post
    Good point. From what I can find poking around on the internet for 5 minutes, it seems you're absolutely correct: this is a matter of university policy only, and is not clearly backed by state law.
    That's what I took from it during my visit.

Thanks to all! We are back and our evil guns never once leaped out of their holsters and destroyed anybody. I think the act of eating makes the kid hungry. Again, thanks!
    hike2fish likes this.

Sorry guys, I'd have to disagree with everyone here. I live in Indiana and our state laws prohibit carrying on any school grounds, hospitals with psych wards, and buildings with a court room. I do believe you are legally allowed to carry in your vehicle anywhere in the state though. I remember reading that you can only carry on school grounds while dropping off or picking up a child/student from school. Once again, I do agree that if it is kept in your vehicle and stored securely, you will not have any issues, but you cannot carry while on school grounds in Indiana. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcarc View Post
    Sorry guys, I'd have to disagree with everyone here. I live in Indiana and our state laws prohibit carrying on any school grounds, hospitals with psych wards, and buildings with a court room. I do believe you are legally allowed to carry in your vehicle anywhere in the state though. I remember reading that you can only carry on school grounds while dropping off or picking up a child/student from school. Once again, I do agree that if it is kept in your vehicle and stored securely, you will not have any issues, but you cannot carry while on school grounds in Indiana. Hope this helps.
    This does not apply to college campus'. It is up to the college or university to decide whether or not they will allow CC.

Sponsored Links