CC on U.S. INDIGENOUS TRIBAL LANDS

This is a discussion on CC on U.S. INDIGENOUS TRIBAL LANDS within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being fairly new to CC and still learning the ropes, so to speak, I was a little surprised to learn from a fellow CC enthusiast ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: CC on U.S. INDIGENOUS TRIBAL LANDS

Being fairly new to CC and still learning the ropes, so to speak, I was a little surprised to learn from a fellow CC enthusiast that, at least in Eastern Oregon, the Tribes do not honor any CC on their lands. Had not even given this any thought until our conversation and considering I am surrounded by Reservations this sounds like it could be a bit of a concern when traveling as I travel on Tribal Lands all the time.

I am curious to learn from the forum readers if other Tribes across our nation honor any CC 's and if anyone has ever run into a CC situation that went south on Tribal lands.

So how about it guys and gals?

Handgunlaw.us has an extensive section on Tribal Law.

be careful, many sovereign native lands do not welcome guns on their lands, FOPA will protect you if you follow the FOPA guidelines

I would avoid reservations like the plague.
    gigamortis and NMB like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In a "discussion" requesting some information on this subject from the Tribal Council in No. Carolina, they put on a guy on the Council who said .... "we don't want any WHITE men on our lands with a gun, period" . I never told him what I was or not, but he assumed what he assumed.

He was rather "adamant" about it. He was also a real ass, even though I was courteous and respectful up to that point. When I asked about "only traveling thru " the reservation lands .... same attitude, etc. So, I finally "had to say it" ....... "then if I have this right, 'I' cannot have any gun at any time on tribal lands with a gun , even if it's only to travel thru there on the state owned highway, but my grandkids are OK to have a gun with them " . He was nasty about that.... " NO >>>> YOUR DAMN GRANDKIDS CAN'T HAVE A GUN ON THE RESERVATION EITHER " ....... so I asked .... "why not, they are part Choctaw, and enough Choctaw to be designated and recognized by the US Govt and have their ID cards from the Council in Oklahoma ? " .

He hung up. I called back.... I hate people who "assume too much" and are an ass about it as well. I demanded an answer .... and suggested I was taking this to the Council, if I got the wrong answer. The next person I got, explained that my grandkids were fine to have their guns with them. I told them I had changed my mind, and would not be spending any time or money in No. Carolina, and planned to change our plans.

Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona I have not seen problems about it. Now Montana, I'm betting that would be a whole different flavor. I know what No. Carolina's is now. So, it probably will depend upon who you are talking to and where they are. Also check the Hwy Patrol on the laws when on state highways and going "thru" reservation lands.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I would avoid reservations like the plague.
    Its not always that easy to know when you are on tribal lands in many areas. In Oklahoma there are no Reservations. However there is a lot of tribal land here. They have their own laws too. Here you might walk into a gas station and find yourself on tribal lands without knowing it.

Michael

Just checked Handgulaw and it confirmed what I have heard, but been unable to confirm for myself. Cherokee seems GTG on CC, and least for NC residents. Trying to get someone on the phone to answer a question is near impossible.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

In NM, generally, you are ok if you stay on the main roads through tribal areas and if the guns are kept IN the vehicle.

I sent handgunlaw.us a copy of the email I received from the Cherokee police chief regarding the honoring of NC permits. That is the one they have posted on the website. The problem I have is the wording of the response "at the present time", combined with the fact that Cherokee tribal law specifically forbids handguns, has no provision for honoring permits, and the fact that I have been unable to find anything in tribal council minutes referencing such. I'm not going to risk cc on their tribal lands/reservation based on my email response.

It seems that the tribal indians still have an axe to grind stemming from the time they brought bows and arrows to a gunfight!

Tribal lands have their own laws, and it's safest to assume their gun laws are about as forgiving as New York's and New Jersey's. Unless you know otherwise, keep the guns in the car. If you're on a state road passing through a reservation you're generally OK if you stop on the shoulder, but don't go off onto non-state roads and expect to find sympathetic tribal police if you're carrying, concealed or otherwise. Violations can result in loss of not just your guns, but your car as well - with NO recourse through the Federal courts.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    It seems that the tribal indians still have an axe to grind stemming from the time they brought bows and arrows to a gunfight!
    I believe it goes much deeper than that. If you knew anything about history, you would know what the US did to native Americans. Very bad attitude in my opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    DMan and Nathanimal like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    More like a home invasion/biological attack than a gunfight. That aside, I have spent much time on both the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations in South Dakota, and never experienced any problems whatsoever with either the tribal police or the tribal councils regarding concealed carry within their jurisdictions. Of course, South Dakota is not a must-inform state, so the topic has never come up with them.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    More like a home invasion/biological attack than a gunfight.
    What he said.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Because jokes about genocide are always in good taste.
    PatAz and SWIll like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links