Why the .380 won't protect you

This is a discussion on Why the .380 won't protect you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so once upon a time....perhaps around summer of 1977 i had to persuade 3 uts that i was not the individual they wanted to be ...

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Why the .380 won't protect you

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    so once upon a time....perhaps around summer of 1977 i had to persuade 3 uts
    that i was not the individual they wanted to be pushing to far in their quest for a "loan"

so finally one says he has a knife--the thin jacket pocket was almost too small for his hand to fit, let alone a blade,
    so i told him" thats nice, i have a gun" and produced a OMC ( now AMT ) and ponted it at his face....
    hes says " wxyz" he's got a 45"
    i was not about to correct them and it was like the 3 stooges bumbling each other to get out of the one door.

but it was only a 380. guess i was real lucky, eh?

after much thought i think the size of the hole is dependent on your perspective
    among the best point shooting i've owned. still have it but it bites harder as i gets older.
    Lone_Gunman and Ogre like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    so i told him" thats nice, i have a gun" and produced a OMC ( now AMT ) and ponted it at his face....
    Just curious about the specifics--how far were you from him? (I'm just wondering about potential retention issues when
    dealing with those folks and how best to deal with that concern.?) {correction, how you
    dealt with that concern if it arose at all?}
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Nice straw man.
    My position is the opposite of a straw man; the facts support that in real life scenarios, small caliber weapons are effective at ending aggression. That is not an opinion. That is what the evidence collected by law enforcement makes clear.

I was offering examples of scenarios that did not happen to illustrate the spurious nature of using conjecture to try to support an opinion. In other words, I was arguing againt taking a straw man approach.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    The rapper 50 cent was shot 9 times at close range by a 9mm caliber handgun. He was shot in the hand, hip, both legs, chest, and in his face. 50 cent is still alive and well today, he is in very good shape physically with little fat on his body. Carry 9mm, you die. I hope you carry atleast .357 sig or else whats the point?
    A guy that lives 2 blocks behind me shot a BG in his house in the chest 3 times with a .357 after the BG shot him in the shoulder. The BG was able to walk out of the house, walk 3 blocks to his car, and drive 20 miles to a hospital in a different town where he was arrested and went to trial for attemped murder.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

So if we are going to say that "x" caliber sucks because I found this story we can't forget the North Hollywood shootout.
    So 7.62x39 won't protect you, neither will .223 or .308. After all the bank robbers shot eighteen people and didn't kill a single one.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Still waiting to hear why the .380 won't protect me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Still waiting to hear why the .380 won't protect me.
    Apparently, because of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just curious about the specifics--how far were you from him? (I'm just wondering about potential retention issues when
    dealing with those folks and how best to deal with that concern.?) {correction, how you
    dealt with that concern if it arose at all?}
    i was coming down the spiral style stairs from the 3 family house and i knew they were in the entry way, SA was on and i caught slices of them between the stairs. when i got to the last landing i double steped so if they were counting my steps/stairs ( they were) they popped out from under the stairs too soon as i turned the corner--bad for them as it put me 6 steps above them and 15' away.

actually we spoke a little and i decided they should all leave and let others know that im not a bad person nor one to be messed with again.

ends happy as years later one of them approached me on the street--asked if i recoginized him--i did and he topld me
    that was the 1st and last time he ever tried anything like that. and--the kicker--hes graduating HS and going on scholership to a local college.

suprise, suprise, suprise

think that would fly today?

as for retention in general....its why i started taking kung-fu in 1974. Master Yu and i worked with the gun together and he learnt me much. stood me well over the years but never where posession of a gun was an issue.
    my having a 642 in my coat/vest pocket wrapped by my hand has made conversation with 'odd' people go much easier; at least from my POV. when you stay calm and focused as an alpha, even a group loses its focus. trick is not just what you say, but how its put across.
    have to say better luck be with you than not too.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I live in a small town in the Central Valley area of California. I'm pretty much right between Stockton and Sacramento. As I sit here typing this I'm sitting on my front porch enjoying the awesome CA weather (89 degrees with a nice breeze) with my LCP in my front pocket. .380 for me is a compromise. I own a Glock 26, and do carry it on occasion, if I'm going to Stockton or Sacto after dark, but frankly it's not that comfortable, and I found myself not carrying it as often as I should. I bought an LCP for one reason and one reason alone, I wanted to carry as much as I legally could, and my perceived threat level is low enough, and the G26 enough of a brick to carry, that I wasn't carrying all the time.

The chances of a cracked out gang banger rolling up on my house right now are pretty much slim to none. The chances of some vagrant with a sharpened screwdriver trying to rob me the next time I'm at the gas station are slightly higher, but still minimal. For me the .380 LCP is a weapon that I will carry, it's small and light. It's a weapon that holds 6+1 rounds of the minimum caliber I personally feel comfortable carrying. Right now I'm loaded with Fiocchi FMJ, but I will be getting some gold dots as soon as I get paid again. What you carry is a very personal decision, and I'm not going to disparage any persons choice. A .22 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
    I bought an LCP for one reason and one reason alone, I wanted to carry as much as I legally could, and my perceived threat level is low enough, and the G26 enough of a brick to carry, that I wasn't carrying all the time.
    <snip>
    A .22 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home.
    Precisely the reason I got mine. As my first CCW, I knew I'd be too self-conscious to carry anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    50 Cent was only shot 3 times according to the police report. A little embellishing going on there. Bad guys aren't always known for carrying quality defensive ammo, though occasionally you will find one with a couple "hallow tips" mixed in with the cheap FMJ in their mags...
    Bg's carry CLIPS!

OK, here's my .380. P238, OWB belt carry, cocked and locked. Ammo is Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hardcast. 7+1. This is a +P type ammo; it penetrates 32" of gelatin. Blows a hole clean through any bad guy, bones, fat, heavy coat and all. The flat tip "crushes" tissue; the classic round nose FMJ tends to slip through tissue without doing much damage. The main consideration is possible overpenetration in crowded urban areas.

I dry-practice frequently, and can draw and put 2 shots in a sheet of paper at 8 feet in under a second. If I'm wearing a tropical shirt, under 1.5 seconds. Note: most gunmakers recommend carrying this ammo only for SD, and practicing with regular ammo, to prevent excessive wear. Anybody want to stand over there and let me pop a few at you, be my guest.
    gun2.jpg
    gun1.jpg

Rule #1. Cardio
    rmxer85 likes this.

Three .380's to the chest and that slob's pushing daisies. If you don't want his fat to stop the bullets don't shoot him in the fat.

I wouldn't be that concerned if I had a .380 and he had a knife in his hand. Now if he had a fork in the other hand, I'd run like hell.
    Ogre and DPro.40 like this.

Links