Why the .380 won't protect you - Page 3

Why the .380 won't protect you

This is a discussion on Why the .380 won't protect you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico Attachment 58585 You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, ...

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Why the .380 won't protect you

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Attachment 58585

You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You have a few seconds to react.
    You pull your .380 and his fat stops them. You die.
    Pure and utter nonsense.

Modern .380 loadings routinely penetrate 9 -11 inches or more. Also, five .380 rounds to the face is going to stop even the fattest Sumo wrestler.

Is it the best round for the job? That's debatable and I still won't carry one as my primary weapon. I do however routinely carry an LCP as a second back-up gun.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    As long as the fat guy isn't wearing a hoo, oh, er uuhm, ---- an old fashioned sweatshirt with integral head covering, we are safe.
    paullie and TN_Mike like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Attachment 58585

You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You have a few seconds to react.
    You pull your .380 and his fat stops them. You die.
    With well thought out reasoning as the OP's how could it be wrong?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    So, you pull out your .88 Magnum, only to find out that it wasn't fat, it was two level IV plates taped together. They stop your .88 Magnum. You die. Thus "proving" that the .88 Magnum won't protect you.

Is this SERIOUSLY a topic here?
    Anymore... Yes it is.

you shoot a fat man with a knife, you better have a good reason to give the cops for not running. Some states require you to flee when possible, if you go up in front of a jury and they think you could have outrun him, say goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It could be said...

You pull your .22 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .25 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your ..38 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .357 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .40 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .44 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .45 and his fat stops them. You die

because every one of them has failed to stop at one time or another.
    You forgot the 9mm!

Everyone knows a 9mm will just bounce off all that blubber, come back at the shooter, and kill him instead!

It's a fact.
    ParaSig, TN_Mike, Moops and 1 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacob316 View Post
    you shoot a fat man with a knife, you better have a good reason to give the cops for not running. Some states require you to flee when possible, if you go up in front of a jury and they think you could have outrun him, say goodbye.
    SC has no duty to retreat. But, even still, I would rather try to get away than shoot someone. My only problem is that I can't run.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

If we have a few seconds, it is all over. My P-238 has seven rounds and I can be on target in less than two seconds with laser marking the zipper holes from waist level. As always situation awareness is the key. BTW: It is kind of a bad question and depends entirely on the situation.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

My friends next door neighbors dogs former owner read on the Internet somewhere that a guy got shot twice with a 380 and he didn't die. Don't trust them!!!!

Sarcasm now off: :)

I can't remember the exact distance but I believe it's 17ft, that if someone is within 17ft and pulls a knife and starts charging you there is almost no way you will be able to pull your gun and shot before they have hit you with the knife. A cop was telling me about this and it is part of their training. He told me they tried and tried and no one could get a shot off before the fake knife hit them.

Just trying to stir up some thought :) Carry a .380 if you want, but I'll stick to something that actually passes FBI protocol.

Has anybody done this same type of testing for the 9mm's? I have a 9mm I carry, am wondering about ammo performance . .

I like TN outdoors 9. He does a good job. But some guy using questionable gel (Sim-test is NOT ballistic gelatin) that he recycles between each use is hardly reliable results. Do you know why the big companies use ballistic gelatin? It is identical density to pig muscle, which is about 99% the density of human muscle.

You guys can carry whatever you want. I'll stick to something that actually meets and exceeds FBI requirements. Plus do you REALLY and honestly think that a 90gr .380 moving at, maybe 1000 fps, has what it takes to smash through a sternum, rib, or skull bone to hit something vital? I think the .380 is a fantasy for CCW; people want to believe it's able to protect them and it's small so they carry it. Tell me one military force in the world that issues .380 as their main sidearm.

I like TN outdoors 9. He does a good job. But some guy using questionable gel (Sim-test is NOT ballistic gelatin) that he recycles between each use is hardly reliable results.
    you know he does make sure it is calibrated within ballistic gel tolerances by doing the same thing the FBI does.(shooting it with a bb at 600fps and measuring how far it penetrates) in his later videos he tells us how far the bb penetrates. so it is pretty close to real ballistic gel.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Plus do you REALLY and honestly think that a 90gr .380 moving at, maybe 1000 fps, has what it takes to smash through a sternum, rib, or skull bone to hit something vital?
    DocTacDad has a series of videos shooting through a hog's skull covered with 4 layers of denim into water jugs. The speer gold dot 90gr has pretty impressive results for a 380.
    Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube
    John123, tacman605 and stancehold like this.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links