Why the .380 won't protect you

This is a discussion on Why the .380 won't protect you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; fa.jpeg You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You ...

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: Why the .380 won't protect you

fa.jpeg

You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You have a few seconds to react.
    You pull your .380 and his fat stops them. You die.

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You have a few seconds to react. You pull your .380 and his fat stops them. You die.
    Other side of coin....... fat does not stop them perp dies. There are many factors that enter into a "shoot". Things depend on type of ammo, where the rounds hit the person, etc., etc. I am sure there are accounts of larger size weapons that had the same outcome you state.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

First, if a guy that fat pulls a knife, I'm pretty confident I can outrun him.

More seriously - .380 FMJ gets 16-17 inches in gel. Placement is going to be the issue, not the caliber.
    JD, Chevyguy85, Jsimon and 25 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    If you are being attacked by a knife wielder you likely don't have a few seconds to react.
    Practice for the scenario, off the x, disarm, fast deployment, are as likely if not more so to determine
    the outcome as your caliber. Remember, this will be up close. A knife wielder can't harm you much
    from a distance unless he throws it. At belly distance, chest and head shots are what might save you; and then again
    you might get stabbed by a dead man.
    Gunrunner61 and rdpG19 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

From as close as you'd be to the BG I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be the one walking home after.
    Fisher10, Gunrunner61 and ArmyMan like this.
    PFC (Prepared For Chaos) Live by it, or die when it happens. I'm ready, are you?
    "I have not yet begun to fight" - John Paul Jones 1747*1792- United States Naval Academy 1845-1995

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    In the few seconds I have to react...if I'm alone, I'm runnin'. I'm pretty sure that I can outrun someone this size.

If I'm wiith my SO, I'm getting in between him and my SO, then I'm aiming/shooting, whatever I'm carrying at the time, at his melon sized head.
    Gunrunner61, mano3 and rdpG19 like this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Has Jenny Craig released a new ballistics test's results?

Sweet! So at my size I only need to worry if someone pulls a 50 bmg. on me. Why bother carrying?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear.357 View Post
    From as close as you'd be to the BG I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be the one walking home after.
    Uh, the real problem is that maybe neither of you will be walking home. If you haven't trained to react and deal with a knife
    attack, you and your attacker might well both end up dead on the side walk, two feet from each other. If you are really lucky
    you'll be huggin.
    kmagnuss and claude clay like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    So, you pull out your .88 Magnum, only to find out that it wasn't fat, it was two level IV plates taped together. They stop your .88 Magnum. You die. Thus "proving" that the .88 Magnum won't protect you.

Is this SERIOUSLY a topic here?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

There's a reason the undertaker carries a 10mm.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    fa.jpeg

You're walking home after work. It's dark. A man of this size suprises you, jumps you from an alley, and pulls a knife. You have a few seconds to react.
    I was thinking it was because most people can pass a kidney stone with more energy behind it.

Seriously, though, would you want to test that theory? If you're worried about a .380 penetrating, carry FMJs- that will do the trick. I won't carry FMJs; chance of too much penetration, and I don't want to hit the innocent behind him.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    You pull your .380 and his fat stops them. You die
    It could be said...

You pull your .22 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .25 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your ..38 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .357 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .40 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .44 and his fat stops them. You die
    You pull your .45 and his fat stops them. You die

because every one of them has failed to stop at one time or another.
    Fisher10, kmagnuss, Buckj and 7 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Try doing some research on ballistics, and putting together a more intelligently constructed post, if you want to appear credible. Otherwise, you don't seem to know what you're talking about.
    Fisher10, TN_Mike, BkCo1 and 6 others like this.

VIP Member
    But does he seem to appear to seem to appear how he seems? Or does he only seem that way? :)
    IsaiahM33 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Links