New Mexico Drops Numerous States From Handgunlaw.us

This is a discussion on New Mexico Drops Numerous States From Handgunlaw.us within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New Mexico has dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honored. New Mexico ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Mexico Drops Numerous States From Handgunlaw.us

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

New Mexico has dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honored.

New Mexico will now only honor 5 states which are Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota & Oklahoma.

Of the states they dropped.
    Colorado, Delaware, Louisiana, Ohio and West Virginia will drop New Mexico for sure as these states require Signed Agreements or the other state must honor them before they will honor that state.

Arkansas and Texas will most likely drop New Mexico but I am not 100% positive on that but 99% sure they will from what both states have done in the past.

Kansas will continue to honor New Mexico as they list states they will honor based on a states law being similar to theirs without the other state honoring them.

Michigan & Tennessee honor all other states and will continue to honor New Mexico.

William Hubbard is the new man in charge of the NMPDS Concealed Carry Unit. He is the one making these decisions. From what I understand he is the one who is appointed by law to make the decisions. This major change by one person is most likely making huge waves in New Mexico. We will never learn just how big of waves but I believe there is a tsunami brewing.

Every state that boarders New Mexico except for Oklahoma which only has the Tip of its Panhandle touching New Mexico are now not welcome in New Mexico if they carry a firearm. All those citizens were welcome in the not to distant past. Also Colorado and most likely Texas will drop New Mexico and then citizens of New Mexico will not be welcome in those states if they want to carry their defensive firearm. That will cause a lot of calls, emails and letters to start flowing to politicians and an election is coming up. Those Politicians donít want any waves right now that they donít need. So it will be very interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. I am hoping for the best. I also what to say I donít know anymore about the Whyís of this any more than you do.

I am updating all the States pages at Handgunlaw.us to reflect this change in who New Mexico Honors and who will honor them. It is a lot of work and hoping to get it all up late this evening. I have just returned from a weekend away. The Create a Map Application is the tough job. To make a state blue showing it honors another state is simple. To change it to show it doesnít honor it any longer requires Steve to completely rebuild a new map for each state. That change will not happen for awhile and I will put that info on the Notice Page for the Create a Map Application.

FYI

NMDPS Concealed Carry Unit
    6301 Indian School Rd NE Ste. 310
    Albuquerque, NM 87110
    (505) 841-8053

NM Concealed Carry | New Mexico Department of Public Safety
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like we have another Fox in the hen house.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Florida was dropped as well which if I remember right means we will drop them since we have a reciprocity policy too.

Perhaps they hope to lower the crime rate?

I am sure it wouldn't be political.

Had hoped to visit there sometime. I feel much better since, even though I will be unarmed, the state will be safe because everybody else is unarmed as well.

I'll drink with the guys in Arizona instead.

Thank you Gary slider I live here in NM and wasn't aware of any of this. I will be sending out appropriate emails.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    There's always OC.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gixx1070 View Post
    Thank you Gary slider I live here in NM and wasn't aware of any of this. I will be sending out appropriate emails.
    How about providing the appropriate email addresses so we out-of-staters can let the right folks know we won't be visiting NM.

From the DPS site:

the 6 reasons that disqualify reciprocity

1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state
    2. No fingerprint-based background check
    3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age
    4. Permits issued to resident aliens
    5. No classroom (static) training required
    6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required

So, it appears that to be able to carry in New Mexico other State's permit requirements must meet New Mexico's requirements. Anything that is less than, or sub-standard than, does not meet the New mexico state laws regarding reciprosity.

From one standpoint, I think everyone coming to New Mexico who wants to CC here should meet the same standards as we, the residents, must meet to get our licenses. None of what we have to go through to get a CC license is all that difficult to accomplish, why not have others coming from other states have those same standards of license qualifications? Seems so basic to me, I am suprised those things are not the bare minimums.

We really do need a National Standard of tests to meet/for CC licensure to end all this crap/bs don't we? We have standardized commercial drivers licenses and standardized private drivers licenses, why not CCW licenses? I know that right now there is a reciprosity bill in Congress, seems it is all but dead at this time, we ALL need to put pressure on our DC reps to get it done. Maybe all 50 States need to get together and find a way to equalize their requirements so we can move past this garbage? And we ALL need to start calling, e-mailing, faxing, and writing our state reps/gov's office, and the DPS to complain, this is rediculous. Maybe we need our state reps to write a temporary moratorium bill on this reciprosity stuff, and give it a little more time to get itself worked out? That moratorium bill stuff has been done many times when something like this hits a brick wall, works well. But to just finish an audit and then cancel reciprosity the way that this has been done is only serving one adgenda, a political one, and it certainly does not reflect fairness to all gun owners/CCW license owners whatsoever. Someone needs to slap the DPS about this one. I did e-mail the governor, I am expecting I will get a reply from one of her aides, but at least I took action . . now time for the rest of the gunners to do the same as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    How about providing the appropriate email addresses so we out-of-staters can let the right folks know we won't be visiting NM.

You can e-mail the Governors Office via the State website, and, you can e-mail DPS via the site provided above. I will see if I can find a direct e-mail, but those are the same e-mail addy's we New Mexicans have available to us, so don't feel slighted, we are all in the same boat. I do not have a list of the state reps, but there has to be a list out there, when I find it I will post the addy to it so everyone can be pro-active in rattling their cages also. We neeed them to do a temporary moratorium bill to buy time and reverse what taken place, that should be a suggestion by us ALL when we contact them.

While Mr. Hubbard may be the new man in charge, I doubt anyone would have expected him to take an action as dramatic as this without considering it's ramifications and also taking the time to see if compliances could have not been met first . . he might be WAY over his head in this one, and yes, a tsunami may very well be in the cards, but I think it will be pre-ceeded by a mag 10 citizen/gun owner/ccw permitee outcry.

AND, think of it this way, or Gov, the Honorable Ms. Martinez is a CCW Permit holder also . . now she can't carry anywhere or much of anywhere either . . bet her feather will be ruffled a tad bit too . . . . . LOL !!!

I will make sure that the local media in Albq get word about this also, may help to heat it up a bit more . .

Quote Originally Posted by XDMuser45acp View Post
    From the DPS site:
    From one standpoint, I think everyone coming to New Mexico who wants to CC here should meet the same standards as we, the residents, must meet to get our licenses. None of what we have to go through to get a CC license is all that difficult to accomplish, why not have others coming from other states have those same standards of license qualifications? Seems so basic to me, I am suprised those things are not the bare minimums.
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I think you are completely misguided in this line of reasoning. I could not disagree with you more strongly. You have completely bought into their logic- hook, line and sinker.
    multistage and BkCo1 like this.

This is terrible news....!

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I think you are completely misguided in this line of reasoning. I could not disagree with you more strongly. You have completely bought into their logic- hook, line and sinker.
    Quote Originally Posted by XDMuser45acp View Post
    From the DPS site:
    Nh
    the 6 reasons that disqualify reciprocity

1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state
    2. No fingerprint-based background check
    3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age
    4. Permits issued to resident aliens
    5. No classroom (static) training required
    6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required

So, it appears that to be able to carry in New Mexico other State's permit requirements must meet New Mexico's requirements. Anything that is less than, or sub-standard than, does not meet the New mexico state laws regarding reciprosity.

We really do need a National Standard of tests to meet/for CC licensure to end all this crap/bs don't we? We have standardized commercial drivers licenses and standardized private drivers licenses, why not CCW licenses? I know that right now there is a reciprosity bill in Congress, seems it is all but dead at this time, we ALL need to put pressure on our DC reps to get it done. Maybe all 50 States need to get together and find a way to equalize their requirements so we can move past this garbage? And we ALL need to start calling, e-mailing, faxing, and writing our state reps/gov's office, and the DPS to complain, this is rediculous. Maybe we need our state reps to write a temporary moratorium bill on this reciprosity stuff, and give it a little more time to get itself worked out? That moratorium bill stuff has been done many times when something like this hits a brick wall, works well. But to just finish an audit and then cancel reciprosity the way that this has been done is only serving one adgenda, a political one, and it certainly does not reflect fairness to all gun owners/CCW license owners whatsoever. Someone needs to slap the DPS about this one. I did e-mail the governor, I am expecting I will get a reply from one of her aides, but at least I took action . . now time for the rest of the gunners to do the same as I see it.
    Now that's a heck of a line of thought. Yours is better than ours, and ours isn't good enough for you. Each state makes it's own laws, and permit prereqs are no different. A federal guideline? Unlikely, and terrifying. Last I heard, New York, New Jersey, and Illinois were states. I wonder what their input for a standard would be. I do not blame you of course, but you will soon get the opportunity to sample your own medicine, as your NM permit will be valid in the state of issue and no other.
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Kansas will continue to honor New Mexico as they list states they will honor based on a states law being similar to theirs without the other state honoring them.
    Wouldn't make any bets on that one, last point I looked at it, Kansas requires a "recriprocal agreement" with the other state.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Yep... a trip I was planning thru New Mexico and Arizona, (history nut) , now won't include New Mexico. Instead will go across southern Colo and down into Arizona from that direction. I don't need to contribute to their state economy, hotel taxes, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links