Complain to the New Mexico DPS/Governer's office?

This is a discussion on Complain to the New Mexico DPS/Governer's office? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel as if the only way to combat the recent reciprocity changes is to voice your displeasure with the changes by explaining the following: ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Outer_Heaven
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By Skippys
  • 1 Post By XDMuser45acp

Thread: Complain to the New Mexico DPS/Governer's office?

Complain to the New Mexico DPS/Governer's office?

I feel as if the only way to combat the recent reciprocity changes is to voice your displeasure with the changes by explaining the following:

Why you will not be visiting any tourist attractions that bring in money for New Mexico
    Why you will not be Hunting or obtaining a Hunting License in New Mexico
    Why you will not be Fishing or obtaining a Fishing License in New Mexico
    Why you will not be obtaining ANY of these permits for use in New Mexico.
    Why you won't be traveling through or paying tolls in New Mexico

At the end of the day, we need to hit them where it hurts, and it seems that where it hurts is where the money is. What I propose is that once a day we call or contact the New Mexico DPS and New Mexico Governors office and let them know why we're upset.

New Mexico DPS: (505) 827-9000
    New Mexico Govnr Office: (505) 476-2200

You can also send your opinion Here

If better means to contact these offices are found please post.

Lets try our hand at exercising our first amendment right, thanks folks.
    barstoolguru likes this.

2. Remove Ads

we need to voice our option and let them know this is not right
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

Here's what I sent to the Guv earlier today:

Dear Governor,

My name is --------. I live in --------, Kansas, and frequently travel through and vacation in the lovely state of New Mexico.

I have recently learned that one William Hubbard of the NMPDS Concealed Carry Unit has voided New Mexico's reciprocity with the state of Kansas, while Kansas continues to honor the law-abiding citizens of your state who carry a New Mexico concealed weapons permit.

I consider it a travesty that as a law-abiding Kansas permit holder I am not afforded the right in New Mexico to defend myself while traveling and camping in your state. Therefore I will not spend another nickel in New Mexico until this decision by a single individual is overturned.

Considering your state experienced 142 murders, 958 forcible rapes and 9,412 aggravated assaults in 2010 [most recent verifiable numbers], I do not think anyone could guarantee New Mexico's law enforcement can protect me or my family during a vacation in the land of enchantment.

I cannot imagine your constituents, particularly those whose livelihood depends on out-of-state visitors in the shooting sports, are pleased with this decision.

Please overturn this decision.

Respectfully,

xxxxxxxxxx

Here are some other worthwhile places to let your voice be heard:
    New Mexico DPS - NMSP.PIO@state.nm.us Phone: 505-841-8053
    Governor's office (form letter on above link) 505-476-2200
    Attorney General's office 505-827-6000 (Santa Fe Office is referring calls to the New Mexico State Police..
    New Mexico Dept of Tourism - SantaFe.VIC@state.nm.us Phone: 505-827-7400
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I complained a couple of days ago and asked for a response back but am not holding my breath for it.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The UPDATE to this situation is this, and you can find the update on the NRA's legislation page at this time, it came out today.

The list of states mentioned on the DPS site was a list that came out of an audit to look at other states CCW licensing laws, it revealed that there were differences in other states laws, and those differences had to be looked at regarding reciprosity. NO where did it say anywhere on the DPS page that reciprosity was immediately cancelled. So, as of right now, reciprosity still exists, or at least that's what the NRA-ILA update says.

WE will SEE how all this is handled, and I bet it's handled very quickly. New Mexico has not had Concealed Carry Licenses for very many years. The licensing came about during the Richardson administration - which by the way was a democrat controlled administration.

on edit: and BTW, THANKS to ALL of those here that e-mailed/called the NM agencies/governor . . You ALL surely have made a difference in helping with this mess and giving that much needed push to draw attention to the whole gamut of problems that go beyond a few basics of law . . the State got quite a hammering from the residents as well, there IS power in numbers . . and money always will talk loudly.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

NM added back the states it dropped. What the heck is going on out there?

Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

In cases like this as we wait final outcome, of course I understand the aggravation and disgust that comes with these decisions, but it seems to happen all the time. I live in Nevada and recently in the last few years they canceled many reciprocity agreements with other states. One option for someone like the above in Kansas can always get a a Virginia or Florida permit for OOS residents. Of course it is a hassle and a financial decision but if it is necessary it is an option. My NV permit is not valid in NM but my Fla and Va are. In fact my NV permit isn't valid in most states but I am covered quite well by the other two. Still not excusing their actions but there are options. And as always open carry is allowed for those who are ok with that.

As far as hitting them whe it hurts...in the wallet, and complaining to the Governor and what not, sometimes I don't think give a rats butt. You would think they would care. UT in order for that to work a major major boycott would really have to hit them hard and I don't think honestly there would be enough people behind it. Otherwise Nevada wouldn't have gotten away with what it did. We can make that case for any state... California and NY probably get more tourists than anywhere else in the rest of the country and they don't seem to care...

Quote Originally Posted by XDMuser45acp View Post
    The UPDATE to this situation is this, and you can find the update on the NRA's legislation page at this time, it came out today.

The list of states mentioned on the DPS site was a list that came out of an audit to look at other states CCW licensing laws, it revealed that there were differences in other states laws, and those differences had to be looked at regarding reciprosity. NO where did it say anywhere on the DPS page that reciprosity was immediately cancelled. So, as of right now, reciprosity still exists, or at least that's what the NRA-ILA update says.

WE will SEE how all this is handled, and I bet it's handled very quickly. New Mexico has not had Concealed Carry Licenses for very many years. The licensing came about during the Richardson administration - which by the way was a democrat controlled administration.

on edit: and BTW, THANKS to ALL of those here that e-mailed/called the NM agencies/governor . . You ALL surely have made a difference in helping with this mess and giving that much needed push to draw attention to the whole gamut of problems that go beyond a few basics of law . . the State got quite a hammering from the residents as well, there IS power in numbers . . and money always will talk loudly.
    And the current administration which has taken a more restrictive stance towards reciprocity is Republican!!!!
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Quote Originally Posted by XDMuser45acp View Post

I think this is a bunch of CYA BS. If it was just an "audit" there was no reason for it to be made public, to the point that other states made their own policy changes.

It was more than an audit. For about 48 hours, only 5 states were listed as having reciprocity with NM. The other states were added back yesterday.

Links