dealing with the police

This is a discussion on dealing with the police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra actually Eric, my oath of office specifically says I have a duty to protect life and do my sworn duty, that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: dealing with the police

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    actually Eric, my oath of office specifically says I have a duty to protect life and do my sworn duty, that sworn duty encompasses a lot of things as you mentioned, the USSC case was only done to show that individuals could not sue their local LE agency since they didn't save 'X' family member, I've busted my rear trying to save lives with vomit, feces, blood, spit, sweat (the first 4 from victims lol) on the uniform while doing it, we do have a duty to protect lives but the USSC says its not my job to be a person's 24/7 body guard....not trying to bust chops just trying to make a point
    I wish all LE thought like you and other LEOs of our forum. My main point is we have to work with LE but there seems to be an us vs them attitude from both sides and I don't like it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Define Hmmmmmmmmm!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I wish I could make a post telling people the best way to treat me at my job. If I gave a similar essay to my clients, I'd never get any work!
    DontTreadOnI and ccman like this.

VIP Member
    Obie1, good post, I wish I could meet with ya and hit the range!!! I'm throwing in some food for thought on your post even though it wasn't directed at me.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie1 View Post
    Jeff--
    First, let me say that I respect the job you guys do and respect the dangers of your job that you guys accept for (mostly) short pay.
    thanks

That said, let me offer you some advice for dealing with us guys.
    First, don't sit at the bottom of the hill radaring me on the road I drive to work at 6 am where the speed limit changes from 45 to 30 just to raise revenue. I am not endangering anyone on an empty road by being 10 mph over a ridiculous (and technically illegal) speed limit.
    -if its a posted limit its not illegal, it may seem odd, stupid, etc from your viewpoint, but not illegal
    and actually you may be endangering someone, if its 30 mph other vehicles expect you to be going around that limit, speed limits are usually put in place according to the road/street, crossing roads/intersection, viewing distance, residences near, etc, there are a lot of factors

Second, when you do stop me for that heinous infraction, don't ask me if I know how fast I was going, I'm not going to incriminate myself.
    -I agree with this, thats why I don't ask, I just tell them why they were stopped and what the limit is, and go from there

Third, give me a warning, not a five year insurance rate increase.
    usually done when not going really fast over the limit, and especially to someone that is going to work

Push back against the supervisor who says you can only give x warnings per month.
    that is crap when departments/supervisors do this, here in Texas its illegal to have a quota

Fourth, be an advocate for our second amendment rights; we are on the same side against the bad guys.
    couldn't agree more, I promote this every chance I get

Fifth, don't be that macho guy who escalates rather than defuses situations--a little common sense and even a sense of humor goes a long way.
    yep

Sixth, unless you have your flashies on, don't feel as if you have a right to violate the same traffic laws you hold us to.
    don't know about other places, but we violate traffic law to get to calls quickly where going code 3 isn't warranted (sometimes by department policy), either way...here in Texas (and I assume most other states) we are specifically allowed by law to violate the traffic laws because of the very nature of the job

Seventh, if you are responding rapidly to an emergency, put your siren on as well as the lights. I know it's loud for you, but everyone around deserves a chance to get out of your way.
    sometimes its necessary to only go code 2 (just lights), such as responding to in progress robbery or other call that might lead to hostage situation and we don't want to alert the dirtbags, on the other hand: cops need to understand that the light bar and/or siren is not directly connected to the accelerator too

Eighth, come to the range with us--maybe you can teach us something, maybe you can learn something.
    as I said at the beginning....I love to, and I'm trying to become a Texas CHL instructor and teach NRA classes

Ninth, don't be a hermit where you live. I have three police officers who live within half a mile of me and they are unknown to most of the neighborhood. Go to community events, coach your kid's sports, let people know you are one of them.
    I'm an assistant den leader with my son in cub scouts, officers are probably involved in more things than you realize; and in the other extreme....officers may not want to be too visible/known in the neighborhood because things have changed in society, there are dirtbags that would love to know where cops live and catch them off-duty with their families, we've had several unfortunate incidents with off-duty officers being confronted by dirtbags, not a lot but it does happen

And finally, get rid of the Gestapo uniforms.
    not sure exactly what you mean, but I'm assuming you mean the uniforms that make us stand out as cops....its for a couple of different reasons...first is whats called command presence so when we come to a call its the first impression we make on people that we are the police, here its actually defined as the first level of force, next is we need to be obviously identified as police officers to victims as well as suspects for legal reasons
    accessbob likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Regarding the speed limit, perhaps illegal is the wrong word. The sign just appeared one day, without the required traffic study as far as anyone can tell me. It's a sleepy back road near the bottom of a hill in a town of about 1500 people.

(1)The sound you make before pausing to think about what you are going to say.(2) The sound you make when showing you do not beleive what someone is saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Define Hmmmmmmmmm!
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Responding to post #28:
    Second, when you do stop me for that heinous infraction, don't ask me if I know how fast I was going, I'm not going to incriminate myself.

Local cop (agency known for using traffic tickets as revenue source) chastised me for bad attitude because I declined to answer such questions. I replied that I did not understand the bad attitude accusation since I had not use any foul, rude, or abusive language. Had I answered I would have gotten a ticket. I was in a group of cars which made distinguishing my radar signature from theirs difficult. We the Peons are not required to support LE by contributing to our own problems with the law.

Cheers, Rev
    Better to perish in the fight for freedom than live to see defeat.

well, i asked where i live in Indiana, and guess what i was told? guess? i was told that there are no borders with officers on arrests, search and seizures, etc. its not like the dukes of Hazard where the county cop has to stop a pursuit at the county line. jurisdiction applies to crime scenes, etc. and is more often used for an officers duty and NOT a restriction.
    if we can make a citizens arrest, then i am SURE an officer sworn to duty has no lines. 10 years ago i asked what ever happened to serve and protect, and was told that they protect themselves first.THANKFULLY around here for sure, there is a psych test done before they become officers

Whenever I need a cop I call the two I know who are detectives or I call the state police I dont like local cops in my area.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

as far as that professor video, i agree with almost everything; except in my case in the past, i was innocent, and found innocent, but i still had to get arrested, had to spend 4th of july weekend in a slop-house county jail in michigan waiting to see a judge.
    but at the scene where i was guilty of speeding (5 mph over), i asked the officer from a state that i didnt live in, do i have to let them search my vehicle? i asked 3 times, and he evaded answer three time. he had to use that tape recording in my case, and by default it was finally over. talking helped me.
    when they found out i had a legal firearm locked up in the tool box of my truck bed, i was cuffed, put into one of their cars, and i watched in horror as they had my innocent wife laying on the ground with a boot and a pistol barrel on her head in the muddy road shoulder.
    they left her in the middle of NO WHERE, and would let her take her purse, id, money, credit cards, nothing. she had to walk 5-6 miles to the nearest village in the rain with no i.d. and beg a restaurant for a free phone call.
    i have some officer associates, but im inclined to remember the ones that stand out to me the most

Pretty sure that would have been someone's job if you had talked to the right people.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm
    so whats with this? is that directed to my post right above this one?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I think it's pretty simple. If you live your life like a Jerry Springer guest and drive like a nut, you're probably going to have a lo of interaction with LEO's.

If you live a more quite lifestyle, your interactions should be limited.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links