dealing with the police

This is a discussion on dealing with the police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A tip to the unaware or unfamiliar in dealing with the police: first of all, know who the police are! Know the difference between the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: dealing with the police

dealing with the police

A tip to the unaware or unfamiliar in dealing with the police: first of all, know who the police are! Know the difference between the city police, the county sheriff's department and the state troopers. They have slightly different but overlapping jurisdictions. Their cars are probably painted differently and they probably have different colored uniforms. Know who your primary service provider is! If you live near the border of your jurisdiction, know what the uniforms and the squad cars of the neighboring town look like. That isn't too hard -- just pay attention when driving around on your normal business, and then remember what you see. Neighboring jurisdictions back each other up all the time, and if one agency gets tied up on a major incident, the department next door may end up being primary responders to calls in that town. It happens all the time, and it is NOT evidence of a particular emergency nor of a government conspiracy . . .

If you live in Hickory Hills and the Police Communications Center gets a 911 disconnect from your house, you may get the Hickory Hills PD or the Sheriff's Department or the State Police or cops from the next town or village over, depending upon the situation. It's not at all unusual.

Any time you interact with the police, be truthful, don't have an attitude nor appear to be concealing information and your day will go a lot smoother. Almost always when we the police encounter somebody with a belligerent attitude, it's because they're trying to hide something. You don't have to offer information, but answer the legitimate questions that you are asked. If you appear to be trying to hide something, cops treat that the same way that sharks treat the smell of blood in the water . . .

Just because you explained something to the call taker on the phone DOES NOT mean that information was ever passed on to the officer. If it’s really busy, they’ll just send the officer with a minimum of information and expect them to sort it out when they get there.

If you live on the boundary of multiple jurisdictions, be aware of where the incident happened and which police department you called. If you have called to report an incident, and then just flag down a passing police car, the cops inside (a.) may not have received the call yet and so have no idea what you’re talking about, or (b.) may be from another jurisdiction, possibly dispatched by a different comm center on a different radio frequency, and they may not know what you’re talking about, either.

Just because you talked to a cop once about a particular situation does NOT mean that all cops everywhere will be familiar with the situation. We are not telepathically connected!

If you reported a problem at midnight, don’t call back at eleven the next morning and expect to talk to the same officers. Individual police officers are not on 24/7. We do go home to sleep and conduct our personal lives from time to time.

Pay attention to what agency the officer works for, and ask for their name and badge number or radio number or ID number. We get issued business cards to give to people we interact with. Get a business card from officer friendly and ask for the case number of the incident (if there is one), the address of occurrence and the case title, and write down the date. That way, if at some later time you need to make an inquiry, you'll have the information that you need.

If they’re in plainclothes, feel free to ask to look at the officer’s credentials. Just keep in mind that you don't know what an authentic police ID card for that agency looks like. (I don't know what official ID cards for the surrounding agencies look like, either.)

If somebody comes to your door in plainclothes, and they're a real cop, they're used to having people ask to see an ID, and may be used to having you phone dispatch to verify their identity, depending upon where you are. BE SURE YOU CALL THE RIGHT POLICE DEPARTMENT!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wow, I hope I never meet you with that attitude. If I ask the wrong question or guess your from the wrong PD, my life may come to a end

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Thanks for the info.......and have a pleasant day.

and remember this: (posted on an earlier thread)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
    Last edited by AZJD1968; May 1st, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added info.
    Stubborn and sammage like this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Jeff man sounds like you've had some bad couple of day's. While I agree with alot of what you posted you also have to keep in mind the other point of view.
    If I call the police ( not knowing the system ) shouldn't it go to the right department? People that have to call the police may already be a bit frazzled. Yes
    they should remember to check for correct info but they may not based on the circumstance's.
    Thank you sir for your service and I certainly respect your opinion just remember I'm not perfect either.
    Sorry edited link because of language, wasn't minding my p's & q's.

VIP Member
    And they are off and running.....................

Jeff first welcome to the site. You will find the general concensus here by many is do not talk to the police under any circumstances up to and including when stopped for a traffic violation. Many will envoke their 5th amendment right before the officer even says hello. To some here the police are the enemy and not to be trusted or if not the enemy at least they are the "them" in the us vs. them debate.

Even though your post, as I take it, is in regards to calls for service and dealing with LE the infamous "Don't talk to the Police" video from the all knowing God youtube has already been posted.

Enjoy your time here it is a good place just be ready for a roller coaster ride on occasion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I bet post #4 don't last till mornin......

or at least the link.

Sometimes one does not what jurisdiction they are in when they dial 911.

Much depends on the situation you are "discussing" with law enforcement as to what you should answer.

Also you state the following:
    "Almost always when we the police encounter somebody with a belligerent attitude, it's because they're trying to hide something. You don't have to offer information, but answer the legitimate questions that you are asked."

You make a blanket observation here that there can be no other reason someone has a belligerent attitude that is simply not true. I have ran into some officers where they were throwing their "power" around and acting arrogant that can raise cause to get "belligerent". Everyone including law enforcement need to understand that respect is a two way street. Personally I do not automatically give respect to anyone whether it is a long term or short term encounter. If I am treated with respect I give it back. Simply put I will treat someone in the same fashion they treat me.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Why did I do something wrong???
    I am new here also.

Please don't be surprised that people treat the police the same way they treat a rattlesnake.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Why did I do something wrong???
    I am new here also.
    It has a few obscenities in it, which is a violation of the TOS. You may want to read the "Forum Rules" page.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...hp?do=vsarules

Yep thanks, read them. Just got alittle lost in the humor of that language. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Yep thanks, read them. Just got alittle lost in the humor of that language. Thanks for the reminder.
    Anytime, That call cracks me up though!

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    Please don't be surprised that people treat the police the same way they treat a rattlesnake.
    I wouldn't go that far, I've shot some rattlesnakes, I don't see myself ever doing that to a LEO. I even have a few LEO friends, most are pretty nice people.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    My initial reaction would be to post, "How LEOs should deal with the tax paying public."
    Spirit51 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Welcome to the forum and I think I understand your intent. But it is way too early in the morning for me to listen/read a lecture on what I am suppose to do when I encounter a LEO.
    ericb327, Spade115 and Spirit51 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links