Upcoming WA and OR Vacation- No CCW

This is a discussion on Upcoming WA and OR Vacation- No CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings, My family is flying out to Spokane for my niece's Gonzaga graduation next week. We are going to spend a few days visiting the ...

Thread: Upcoming WA and OR Vacation- No CCW

Upcoming WA and OR Vacation- No CCW

Greetings,

My family is flying out to Spokane for my niece's Gonzaga graduation next week. We are going to spend a few days visiting the sights in WA and OR before flying back to CO from Portland. I realize my CO CCW permit is not recognized in these states, so I will be Mr. Average Citizen during this trip. Are there any issues about possessing a handgun (loaded/unloaded) in your rental vehicle while driving? Any stupid city specific laws in Spokane, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia or Portland? Any problems with flying out of Portland with a handgun and ammo secured in the usual manner? What visiting the Nat Parks? Obviously, I am not planning on carrying the weapon, but would feel "less naked" if a firearm is available for nights in the motel, SHTF, etc.

Thanks!

Hunter

2. Remove Ads

I realize that responses on a forum is no substitute for contacting a lawyer, researching the laws yourself, etc, but it is nice to hear anecdotes of peoples experiences or knowledge of the restrictions in a given area. I have surprised many people when I tell them that Denver has a legally upheld restriction on the possession of magazines over 20 rounds. Most folks assume since Colorado is generally considered a "free state", with effective preemption, that such a law would not exist.

Thanks for you input!

I would download CCW app on your smartphone. There are two good ones, you decide which one(s) are best for you. The state of WA is CCW consistent throughout. Seattle tried to ban in city but got slammed big time. Then they tried to ban in parks and once more got slammed big time. If one of your friends has a CCW, stick close to him/her while visiting if you want to stay legal. I am no lawyer so can't debate about carrying in your car while here in WA.

The apps describe the current laws of carry in each state and have some good info on your questions... Also one of them actually routes you the best way to avoid no carry areas...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Well, if you get a nonresident utah permit, you can carry in Washington. If you transport your firearm according to FOPA regs, you should be fine (I am not an expert on FOPA by any means).
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    WA has state preemtion in the constitution, so localities are not allowed to create more restrictive local laws. OC is also legal, so you could still carry if you wanted to. I believe OR is also OC friendly, but I think Portland might have some more restrictions.

In WA, you can not have a loaded gun concealed in your car unless you have a permit. You can still OC, but you can't leave it in the car loaded or stick it in the glove box or trunk loaded. Kind of dumb, but that's the rules. Check out the laws: RCW 9.41.270 is one section, you can find the rest. Hope you enjoy your stay in the Pacific NW.
    Walk softly ...

I'm not too keen on flying with firearms if I can avoid it. Too much hassle for me to declare and have it separately checked. I don't trust the TSA employees with all the theft stuff I have been seeing in the news. Also have to worry about theft from the rental car.

My suggestions is to buy a big knife ( Cold Steel Tactical Knives , Japanese Styled Blades & Knives ) and/or tomahawk ( SOG Tactical Tomahawk. The Tactical Tomahawk From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools ) and be okay with that for the motel room. The SOG tomahawks are actually quite inexpensive if ordered online. I think even Walmart sells them now. An axe type of tool is useful (like if you have to break through drywall if trapped in a room by a fire). I keep one handy in the vehicle trunk and another in my go pack.

For knife carry, depends on state and city laws for what type of folder to have. Some knife laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

And try the best you can to avoid or minimize risks to your family (i.e. stay in better places/areas, be informed about areas to avoid, minimize night travel, etc.). Make sure you get a rental car that is not marked as such (i.e. license frame, decals) or screams "I am a rental car".

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Just another piece of advice... "My suggestions is to buy a big knife ..." concealing ANY sized fixed blade knife in WA is illegal.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    WA has state preemtion in the constitution, so localities are not allowed to create more restrictive local laws. OC is also legal, so you could still carry if you wanted to. I believe OR is also OC friendly, but I think Portland might have some more restrictions.

In WA, you can not have a loaded gun concealed in your car unless you have a permit. You can still OC, but you can't leave it in the car loaded or stick it in the glove box or trunk loaded. Kind of dumb, but that's the rules. Check out the laws: RCW 9.41.270 is one section, you can find the rest. Hope you enjoy your stay in the Pacific NW.
    I would just add that while it is true OC is legal, it's legality is not well known, even to law enforcement. Very few people OC here...as a matter of fact I have never seen anyone open carry in the 8 years I have lived here. Tere are many horror stories of LEO's not knowing that it is legak to open carry, because it is not very clear in the RWC.

I had a friend who was OC while on a walk in his neighborhood, citizen saw weapon, called police about "man brandishing a weapon"...he was not brandishing, it was holstered, but weapon was confiscated and he had to go through the DA and a Judge to get it back, plus lots of hassle...and this was in Southeastern Washington which is generally conservative and very gun friendly...Just FYI

Just another piece of advice... "My suggestions is to buy a big knife ..." concealing ANY sized fixed blade knife in WA is illegal.
    Very, VERY true! And when he says ANY sized, that is exactly what he means!! Technically a fixed blade knife with a 1/2" blade can not be carried concealed legally in Washington State...

Distinguished Member
    In Oregon, OC is legal EXCEPT that municipalities AND COUNTIES have been given the okay by the legislature to pass laws restricting OC to CHL carriers only. So, the big cities have, which means that Portland, Salem, Eugene, Beaverton, and I'm forgetting some, have laws on the books that restrict OC to those with CHL only. So, since you wouldn't have an Oregon CHL, no dice on OC there. In most of the unincorporated area of the states and smaller towns it should be fine, but as mentioned above, LEO's don't necessarily look on it too kindly.

OC in National Parks is fine as defined by federal law and, I do not believe, not able to be restricted by the state. But I'm no lawyer either but have read the firearms laws of Oregon quite extensively. Also, when transporting, since you don't have an OR CHL, here is the applicable law:
    (4)(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (b) If a vehicle, other than a vehicle described in paragraph (c) of this subsection, has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
    (A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
    (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.
    (c) If a vehicle is a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle or a snowmobile, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
    (A) The handgun is in a locked container within or affixed to the vehicle; or
    (B) The handgun is equipped with a trigger lock or other locking mechanism that prevents the discharge of the firearm.
    Last edited by accessbob; May 2nd, 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added "And Counties"
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

In WA you can carry concealed even without a permit if you are engaged in outdoor recreation type activities. This is generally meant to cover the situation where you're hiking, camping, etc, out in the forest.

Laws:
    Chapter 9.41 RCW: Firearms and dangerous weapons

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

The exemptions to the no-concealed-weapons laws:
    RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

"
    (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or
    "

So, in general the law would be that you should keep your unloaded weapon in a closed case in the car, except if you are out hiking (not urban hiking, I presume!) or camping, etc. In order to make it clear you're out hiking, take a map, or a NW Forest Pass, etc.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer. :)

National Parks are now covered under state law so the laws above would apply EXCEPT for those buildings that normally have federal employees present. So, a National Park ranger station or visitor center is a NO NO, but the National Park Inn at Longmire is *likely* fine because this is run by an external local company and does not have federal employees normally stationed there.

Other posts regarding state preemption are correct. Cities are not allowed to make their own laws, but of course Seattle has tried to do that....

Make sure that you read over the carry ( in vehicle ) laws for OR and WA. They have some differences. Except for Seattle most of WA is pretty gun friendly. Open Carry indeed is legal but not common except for trails.

Sent from my 300 baud modem

Not for carry, for the motel room as I wrote. I mentioned a folder for carry per the laws as linked (I like the old style SOG autoclip for IWB carry).

Links