I Finally joined the club. License in hand! - Page 2

I Finally joined the club. License in hand!

This is a discussion on I Finally joined the club. License in hand! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by steve_db welcome to the free world. be safe and responsible. you'll get accustomed to wearing a firearm and after a while will ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Finally joined the club. License in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    welcome to the free world.
    be safe and responsible. you'll get accustomed to wearing a firearm and after a while will feel its absence on those occasions when you're not carrying.

So, tell us what you're carrying?
    what's your dress style?
    what's your desired mode of carry (iwb, owb, sob, etc)?
    will you carry extra mag(s) or speedloader(s)?
    where do your daily travels take you that may be relevant to carry/not-carry decisions?

of course all/any of the above is discussed often, so have at it here or start new threads is you can't find specific answers.
    Currently a Glock 27, although I have my eye on a couple 1911 style pistols as well. Possibly a Kimber Raptor, or Ultra Raptor II.

My dress style varies. Depending on my mood. It ranges from casual cut up jeans to a collared shirt and jeans, from camo cargos to khaki. Im sure I will have to adapt some in styles to accomodate my carrying needs. Now that I have recieved my permit I can justify also getting a Kel-Tec or something incase I am extremely limited.

For desired mode of carry, thats where I am currently at now. I have no clue, as I didnt study holsters much until now. For now, just to get some holsters here quick until i decide on what style works best for me/i like, and until i can decide which ones I want made by a quality leathersmith, i bought 2 Desantis' holsters. One "Inner Piece" and the other is "Tuck-This!" Hopefully they will work out for me. Trying not to get too holster-crazy just yet incase I buy another weapon.

I plan on carrying at least one extra mag, If anyone can recommend a good place to get a GOOD double leather belt here w/in the next week or so that would be great. Also, if anyone can tell me what size belt width is considered "Standard" that would be good too. I personally (with no knowledge of what is standard) would prefer a wider belt to a thinner one.

Thanks for asking, and thank you all for your support!

Shaun
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member
    Congratulations, Shaun!...

NACHO RUN!!!..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Congrats on your carry permit, carry in good health and avoid trouble if you can!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy911 View Post
    Currently a Glock 27, although I have my eye on a couple 1911 style pistols as well. Possibly a Kimber Raptor, or Ultra Raptor II.

My dress style varies. Depending on my mood. It ranges from casual cut up jeans to a collared shirt and jeans, from camo cargos to khaki. Im sure I will have to adapt some in styles to accomodate my carrying needs. Now that I have recieved my permit I can justify also getting a Kel-Tec or something incase I am extremely limited.

For desired mode of carry, thats where I am currently at now. I have no clue, as I didnt study holsters much until now. For now, just to get some holsters here quick until i decide on what style works best for me/i like, and until i can decide which ones I want made by a quality leathersmith, i bought 2 Desantis' holsters. One "Inner Piece" and the other is "Tuck-This!" Hopefully they will work out for me. Trying not to get too holster-crazy just yet incase I buy another weapon.

I plan on carrying at least one extra mag, If anyone can recommend a good place to get a GOOD double leather belt here w/in the next week or so that would be great. Also, if anyone can tell me what size belt width is considered "Standard" that would be good too. I personally (with no knowledge of what is standard) would prefer a wider belt to a thinner one.

Thanks for asking, and thank you all for your support!

Shaun
    Try this: http://www.gunnersalley.com/. They carry The Beltman gear, which is good stuff. A 1.5 inch size is recommended. Most would agree that the belt slots in the holster you choose need to be 1.5 inches as well for a good solid fit that makes up an important part of a comfortable, secure carry rig you can use with confidence. Consider a belt that tapers at the buckle end to 1.25 inches as they are more comfortable when bending or sitting. Other sites offer dress-style belts, too. Scour this forum for all the good advice it contains. Good luck!

Congrats!

I also got mine within the last month.

Now, make your obligatory trip to wally world , stay aware and safe!!

Use it wisely..
    Be safe

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Congratulations!

Now get thee hence to Walmart and purchase thyself Nacos and Ammunition.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Congratulations.
    As for a belt, absolutely a must.

I got mine from the beltman and I'm happy with it.
    Get ready for" Man that holster looks like it will work."

Stay safe ,Be aware of your surroundings.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    +1 on the NACHO RUN!

I may do it again just to help you celebrate!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Congrats, Amigo.

With your new found responsibility, I pray that you will sharpen your integrity, hone your honor .. and know that you walk among the select few men and women who would dare choose to embrace their constitutional right and social responsibility to arm themselves.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

UPDATE.

My GF recieved her permit on friday. Although they spelled her last name wrong and her middle initial wrong... her address is correct. I urged her to contact the dept of Ag. licenses division and get it totally right. Of course she was pissed, as I would be too, if they had to run your social and background check, you'd think they'd get your name right!

On a different note. Yesterday me and the GF took the initial trip to Wal-Mart. We didn't buy Nachos unfortunately, but we did get some WWB ammo. Ya know.. i could have SWORE people were looking at me different, however, from reading this forum I believe that is a pretty standard feeling. On more than 1 occasion the GF said.. stop looking at it. I did avoid constantly repositioning it though. I had to carry it IWB, in a rather unconventional holster that i got for 5$, as shown. I hope that the newer holsters that are coming will help me out. It wasnt entirely uncomfortable, but after a couple hours I had a dent in my intestines area from the top of the slide above the beavertail and at the bottom of the grip. Now if I can just find the style of holster that fits me well, being as thin as I am- ..without spending too much.. haha

- I know the belt isnt a gun belt, ive ordered one. And I know the belt isnt as wide as the clip on the gun holster. This is just temporary! I did hate how the grip wasnt readily available because of the belt and holster setup. The belt is off center so the buckle wasnt in the front center, where the buckle would protrude even further... Had to improvise!
    (Act like you dont notice the stains on my shirt. I put on what I had on yesterday to simulate setup)

Last edited by floridaguy911; September 10th, 2006 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spaced out pics to separate.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Welcome aboard from NE Fla. my preference for pocket carry is a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 3" .45 ACP in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster and for IWB, a Bobtailed Smith & Wesson Scandium Commander in a Gary Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com holster. Have you checked out www.floridashootersnetwork.com ?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    Try this: http://www.gunnersalley.com/. They carry The Beltman gear, which is good stuff. A 1.5 inch size is recommended. Most would agree that the belt slots in the holster you choose need to be 1.5 inches as well for a good solid fit that makes up an important part of a comfortable, secure carry rig you can use with confidence. Consider a belt that tapers at the buckle end to 1.25 inches as they are more comfortable when bending or sitting. Other sites offer dress-style belts, too. Scour this forum for all the good advice it contains. Good luck!
    I posted this on Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions a couple of days or so ago...

VIP Member
    No nachos? What's this world coming to?

I really love my Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Once you find the right holster you'll wonder why you ever used anything else!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links