COSTCO firearms policy

This is a discussion on COSTCO firearms policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mhunter <---- Lives in AZ. You are wrong...way wrong... Then how is it?...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: COSTCO firearms policy

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    <---- Lives in AZ.

You are wrong...way wrong...
    Then how is it?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dev_null View Post
    If a location in TX is properly posted with 30.06 signs, then "concealed means concealed" is a suggestion that people defy the law. I have some qualms about recommending that people commit crimes. If that makes me preachy so be it.
    maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was saying that in states that have laws like TX and used the 30.06 signs as an example of a sign that carries the force of law behind it that you cannot carry concealed however in many other states like here in FLA signs of any kind on a business have no meaning whatsoever and can be ignored without the fear of committing a crime, that said if discovered and asked to leave you must comply with that request or face arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Then how is it?
    Well, for starters, if a place serves alcohol for consumption on site is properly posted, it's illegal to carry in that establishment. Even the Denny's and Peter Piper Pizza here in my area serve beer so, if properly posted, they're off limits for carry...open or concealed... You can look up the specific A.R.S. law for yourself, if so inclined.

No need to be snarky. My point stands though, except in places where signs are enforcable by law (and according to ARS 4-229, a very specific sign that only applies to places that serve liquor are binding for CCW holders), the only thing a business can do is ask you to leave if you carry past a "no guns" sign.

Tresspass law always applies, but only after you've been asked to leave.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

No need to be snarky. My point stands though, except in places where signs are enforcable by law (and according to ARS 4-229, a very specific sign that only applies to places that serve liquor are binding for CCW holders), the only thing a business can do is ask you to leave if you carry past a "no guns" sign.

Tresspass law always applies, but only after you've been asked to leave.
    And, yet, you are wrong again...for Arizona... ANY clearly marked sign at all entrances/exits "counts" for non-alcohol serving places. The proper signage, according to that A.R.S. (gunbuster symbol, "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED PURSUANT TO A.R.S. 4-229, etc) is only required to be legal for places that serve booze for consuming in their establishment.

Since you found that A.R.S...surely you can find the rest of the info.

I only learned that second part about the non-alcohol places just recently. I thought the same as you, but I was wrong. And, to be fair, the law(s) is a bit confusing in that regard, but it does make sense after really reading it/them.

And, yet, you are wrong again...for Arizona... ANY clearly marked sign at all entrances/exits "counts" for non-alcohol serving places. The proper signage, according to that A.R.S. (gunbuster symbol, "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED PURSUANT TO A.R.S. 4-229, etc) is only required to be legal for places that serve booze for consuming in their establishment. If you found the first A.R.S...surely you can find the rest.
    I don't know what I've done to you to get the attitude, but I'll play... Sure looks like the sign only applies to liquor license holding businesses... So, now that's you've had me digging around in your own state laws for a half hour... YOU find the ARS that proves me wrong. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just that I'm tired of looking for it.

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice.

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section before the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following apply:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

(c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days before the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters comprising the words "no firearms allowed" shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch. Nothing shall prohibit a licensee from posting additional signs at one or more locations on the premises.

F. This section does not prohibit a person who possesses a handgun from entering the licensed premises for a limited time for the specific purpose of either:

1. Seeking emergency aid.

2. Determining whether a sign has been posted pursuant to subsection A of this section.
    I find section C.2(b) interesting.... it sounds like nonresidents don't have to confrom to the sign. Surely I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like.
    gasmitty likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

Well, for starters, if a place serves alcohol for consumption on site is properly posted, it's illegal to carry in that establishment. Even the Denny's and Peter Piper Pizza here in my area serve beer so, if properly posted, they're off limits for carry...open or concealed... You can look up the specific A.R.S. law for yourself, if so inclined.
    Here the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) 9.41.300 RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
    Lists it as:
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

And if you look at the Statute for yourself, you will find that there is no requirement that a No-Guns, No Weapons or No Firearms allowed sign be posted, only a sign declaring that area to be off limits to individuals under 21 years of age and be issued by the State Liquor Control Board.

Violation by entry onto any Private Property (including Costco) with a sign posted by the Owner/Manager declaring as simply as Weapons Not Welcome on these premises, is grounds for the police to be called to deal with any known violator under the criminal trespass laws.
    RCW 9A.52 Burglary and trespass Chapter 9A.52 RCW: Burglary and trespass

But there are no specific laws mandating how the sign must be worded or the graphic used, it only needs to make it clear that weapons, firearms, etc are not allowed on/permitted on/welcome on the premises.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    Here the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) 9.41.300 RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
    Lists it as:
    (1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

And if you look at the Statute for yourself, you will find that there is no requirement that a No-Guns, No Weapons or No Firearms allowed sign be posted, only a sign declaring that area to be off limits to individuals under 21 years of age and be issued by the State Liquor Control Board.

Violation by entry onto any Private Property (including Costco) with a sign posted by the Owner/Manager declaring as simply as Weapons Not Welcome on these premises, is grounds for the police to be called to deal with any known violator under the criminal trespass laws.
    RCW 9A.52 Burglary and trespass Chapter 9A.52 RCW: Burglary and trespass

But there are no specific laws mandating how the sign must be worded or the graphic used, it only needs to make it clear that weapons, firearms, etc are not allowed on/permitted on/welcome on the premises.
    He's talking about Arizona.... personally, I prefer the way they do it when it comes to bars.

Our law requires that nobody can carry in any part of the establishment limited to 21 or older by the liquor control board. Theirs requires a sign, and a consious decesion by the establishment's management.

-- John F. Kennedy

I don't know what I've done to you to get the attitude, but I'll play...
    It's your attitude, "pardner"...

Sure looks like the sign only applies to liquor license holding businesses...
    Okay...but that's not everything...

I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just that I'm tired of looking for it.
    You're wrong and I'm sorry you "got tired"...

Livewire9880 and mhunter - you guys need a beer summit. Why don't you each go have a cold one, then come back to the computer

It's your attitude, "pardner"...

Okay...but that's not everything...

You're wrong and I'm sorry you "got tired"...

You keep making claims, and not posting any evidence to support it. I keep saying I'm not sure, but posting what I find that led me to my conclusion.

I'm asking you how you come to your conclusion, and I started my conversation with "I think". I'd say it's your turn to post something useful.
    9MMare likes this.

-- John F. Kennedy

that is all well and true, but you should be aware that AZ is not everywhere and in FLA I can carry into places that serve alcohol, and the same holds true in many other states, so it would be wise not to postabsolutes

I don't know what I've done to you to get the attitude, but I'll play... Sure looks like the sign only applies to liquor license holding businesses... So, now that's you've had me digging around in your own state laws for a half hour... YOU find the ARS that proves me wrong. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just that I'm tired of looking for it.

I find section C.2(b) interesting.... it sounds like nonresidents don't have to confrom to the sign. Surely I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like.
    cool, next time I'm in AZ I'll ignore those signs some bars post. FWIW I was in places that served while carrying, the places were not posted so I suppose I was ok to be in there drinking a beer with lunch

Our law requires that nobody can carry in any part of the establishment limited to 21 or older by the liquor control board. Theirs requires a sign, and a consious decesion by the establishment's management.
    Not necessarily, if you will think about an Olive Garden Restaurant where there is a dedicated Lounge/Bar area (which is Marked "No Minors" or "No one under 21"), you can carry into the Olive Garden Restaurant itself even though you can legally get a drink served to you while you are eating there, but you can not carry into that area of the Olive Garden that is off limits to those under 21 years of age. If that is what you meant by "ANY" part of the establishment above, then we are in agreement, but that is not how you came across.

In case you are thinking that you can not enter any part of a facility that serves open container or mixed alcoholic beverages/drinks, then I will ask that you continue reading.

Not knowing where you are in Washington State, I can not expect you to know of the RAM (in say the "Kent Commons")
    Even though it is a Micro-Brewery and has a bar area within the facility. It is also a Restaurant and is not restricted to those under 21 from entering, so again you can legally carry into it as long as you do not go into the restricted bar area itself.

My proclivity for Bar Hopping died out years ago so I can not even tell you how many old time bars (Buildings that are bars only that no one under 21 can enter at all) are still in existence.. I can say that I see more and more Lounge/Restaurants everywhere I go, so even that under 21 restriction may be dying out for the most part.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

So, now that's you've had me digging around in your own state laws for a half hour... YOU find the ARS that proves me wrong.
    Don't need to provide you squat... Are you coming to AZ anytime soon? If so, be prepared... If not...shine on...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links