COSTCO firearms policy - Page 9

COSTCO firearms policy

This is a discussion on COSTCO firearms policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DMan The policy does not forbid guns - not anywhere do I see that guns are forbidden. It say's they don't feel ...

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: COSTCO firearms policy

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    The policy does not forbid guns - not anywhere do I see that guns are forbidden. It say's they don't feel it is necessary for guns to be brought into the store. This is an appeasement policy - "we don't think it is necessary" reading between the lines "not necessary but not forbidden" This is an appeasement policy to make the left wing anti-gun crowd from making a lot of noise, but nowhere do they forbid it” This has no weight saying they don’t allow it.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.... I cannot understand why everyone was getting so up in arms over this. Just in the way of a review...

From the original post:
    "Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business."

I do not believe that it is necessary to have the same belief as Costco on this, so we each retain the right to our beliefs and move on. They didn't forbid anything, the entity just shared its belief with everyone else. Concealed means concealed, so they have no idea if someone entering shares their belief on the topic.
    CIBMike likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.... I cannot understand why everyone was getting so up in arms over this. Just in the way of a review...

From the original post:
    "Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business."

I do not believe that it is necessary to have the same belief as Costco on this, so we each retain the right to our beliefs and move on. They didn't forbid anything, the entity just shared its belief with everyone else. Concealed means concealed, so they have no idea of someone entering shares their belief on the topic.
    Our local store is not posted so i believe this statement to be true.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I agree. I have been in Costco stores in 4 different states (including Arizona) and have not seen one posted. That statement does not prohibit carrying in their stores. I can not find any information banning weapons in my membership documents. I cannot find a link to that page from anywhere on their website. I do not see any evidence that Costco bans conceal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I agree. I have been in Costco stores in 4 different states (including Arizona) and have not seen one posted. That statement does not prohibit carrying in their stores. I can not find any information banning weapons in my membership documents. I cannot find a link to that page from anywhere on their website. I do not see any evidence that Costco bans conceal carry.
    Here's a thread with info about AZ Costcos being posted. The one local to me (Prescott) has a large white sign with red letters stating "No Firearms Allowed". No gunbuster symbol, A.R.S reference or anything else. I has come to my attention that it is a legally enforceable sign since it's only establishments that serve alcohol for on-site consumption which have to be posted properly to the exact letter of the law.

COSTCO's "response" to gun policy question - The Firing Line Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Here's a thread with info about AZ Costcos being posted. The one local to me (Prescott) has a large white sign with red letters stating "No Firearms Allowed". No gunbuster symbol, A.R.S reference or anything else. I has come to my attention that it is a legally enforceable sign since it's only establishments that serve alcohol for on-site consumption which have to be posted properly to the exact letter of the law.

COSTCO's "response" to gun policy question - The Firing Line Forums
    Interesting. From the content of your linked post, it seems though Costco doesn't have an issue with carrying firearms in their stores, but they do back the local managers who chose to enact a ban at the store level.

This makes sense due to the conflicting reports people have posted, and also explains the ambiguitiy of the link in the OP.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Interesting. From the content of your linked post, it seems though Costco doesn't have an issue with carrying firearms in their stores, but they do back the local managers who chose to enact a ban at the store level.

This makes sense due to the conflicting reports people have posted, and also explains the ambiguitiy of the link in the OP.
    They said the manager didn't want open carry at the Prescott location. First I've ever heard of that. It just says "no firearms allowed". Oddly, I have seen people open carrying in that Costco a few times. Either no one noticed or nobody cared...

Another interesting tidbit is that location did take the "no firearms" sign down for a while decades ago. When they first opened in Prescott, they were confronted with a HUGE boycott because of that sign. They even took out a full page ad in the Prescott Courier explaining how they were wrong and that they'd taken the sign down. But, sometime, in the course of many years, it popped back up again. Not exactly sure when as I was away in the Navy from '87-'04 and didn't get back home much.

They said the manager didn't want open carry at the Prescott location. First I've ever heard of that. It just says "no firearms allowed". Oddly, I have seen people open carrying in that Costco a few times. Either no one noticed or nobody cared...
    Here in WA (where Costco came from) I've never seeen a gunbuster sign of any type, though I've also never noticed an OCer. OC isn't all that common in the areas I've seen Costco stores though. Here in Yakima it's more common than other towns I've lived, I'll keep a more open eye from now on. Usually I'm more interested in escaping though, the hordes can get pretty thick at Costco...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Usually I'm more interested in escaping though, the hordes can get pretty thick at Costco...
    Yeah, we usually go during the week, but we miss out on all the cool free sample stations they set up on Sat/Sun.

Yeah, we usually go during the week, but we miss out on all the cool free sample stations they set up on Sat/Sun.
    I took a weekday off not long ago and went there for their cheap hot dog for lunch... Their "slow" day was busier than the local Walmart's "busy" day, and THAT's saying something.

-- John F. Kennedy

I took a weekday off not long ago and went there for their cheap hot dog for lunch... Their "slow" day was busier than the local Walmart's "busy" day, and THAT's saying something.
    Don'tcha just love those Buck-fifty Polish Dogs and a Soda? If you live close enough and go when they happen to be handing out a lot of good samples, then pick-up that special on your way out.. you get a good meal for cheap. Even if you didn't buy anything. LOL
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Another interesting tidbit is that location did take the "no firearms" sign down for a while decades ago. When they first opened in Prescott, they were confronted with a HUGE boycott because of that sign. They even took out a full page ad in the Prescott Courier explaining how they were wrong and that they'd taken the sign down. But, sometime, in the course of many years, it popped back up again. Not exactly sure when as I was away in the Navy from '87-'04 and didn't get back home much.
    I don't know if you noticed the dates of the posts in The Firing Line Forums that had been linked to.. Those were from back in 2002..
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    I don't know if you noticed the dates of the posts in The Firing Line Forums that had been linked to.. Those were from back in 2002..
    And?

LkWd_Don
    And?
    Lots of things change in a manner of months and here we are talking a decade. What Costco Corporate said ten years ago, may or may not be true today. So to expect that a ten year old statement by a Corporate Officer is still valid might be folly at best.

Quote Originally Posted by LkWd_Don View Post
    Lots of things change in a manner of months and here we are talking a decade. What Costco Corporate said ten years ago, may or may not be true today. So to expect that a ten year old statement by a Corporate Officer is still valid might be folly at best.
    And? The sign still remains...

And? The sign still remains...
    "Hey, that sign looks really old, would you mind taking it down?"

That will work great, I'm sure Though, I think he was referring to the email in the OP...

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Links