No Firearms Allowed sign....but good - Page 3

No Firearms Allowed sign....but good

This is a discussion on No Firearms Allowed sign....but good within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag I think it's more a matter of not wanting someone walking in with a loaded gun on their hip (or wherever ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: No Firearms Allowed sign....but good

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I think it's more a matter of not wanting someone walking in with a loaded gun on their hip (or wherever else they OC on their person) and trying their LOADED gun in holsters, checking magazines for it, etc. Which is VERY unsafe, VERY 'unprofessional', and VERY disrespectful to the people working there.

I think it's more of a matter of safety, not a matter of denying 2A rights. If it's concealed, it stays there- concealed. If you're planning on checking accessories, and you're a CCer, you will unload before entering the building and let the person at the door check to make sure that it is unloaded. I'm sure that it also helps with potential insurance issues; kind of like a sign at an automotive shop that tells people not to enter the service bays for safety/insurance reasons.

If I had a similar store in a state that allowed OC, I would put the same sign up- it's not about denying rights, it's about making sure that my store is safe for everyone. I wouldn't want to be in a store where someone whose proficiency I am not sure of is trying to cram a loaded gun into a 'strange' holster to check the fit.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but can we please try to look at it from the owner/operator's point of view before we get mad and start making accusations?
    I am not disagreeing with your premise but I have seen tons (yes, its an exaggeration) of folks that CC go to a gun store and take it our of their holster doing everything you stated in your post. In fact, that is about all of the folks I see doing it even though we can OC here.

The whole idea that concealed means concealed is fine and good. But seriously, you are in a gun store, possibly looking at IWB holsters. Or your buying a derringer or CM9 or a snubbie or just looking at them. What on earth do you think others will surmise? I am not saying to take take it seriously but sometimes folks get to the point of paranoia about concealing their weapons in a place that folks might likely figure it out.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I see it as a policy similar to when you bring back something for a return or exchange. Mosts stores don't let you walk around the store with your return. If they do, usually they check what you are bringing in and put a sticker or some other mark on the bag/package. With gun stores, it is for that reason and for safety. They want to make sure that firearms being handled are unloaded. One of my favorite gun stores has the requirement that you must ask permission/notify them before you bring any gun in the store. I don't do this for my cc, but I do when I am using their shooting range. It is a hassle, but I respect their right. They have been surprised to find "unloaded" guns loaded too often. Of course, open carry is pretty much illegal in SC, so this type of sign would have no effect here.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I am not disagreeing with your premise but I have seen tons (yes, its an exaggeration) of folks that CC go to a gun store and take it our of their holster doing everything you stated in your post. In fact, that is about all of the folks I see doing it even though we can OC here.

The whole idea that concealed means concealed is fine and good. But seriously, you are in a gun store, possibly looking at IWB holsters. Or your buying a derringer or CM9 or a snubbie or just looking at them. What on earth do you think others will surmise? I am not saying to take take it seriously but sometimes folks get to the point of paranoia about concealing their weapons in a place that folks might likely figure it out.
    I have pulled my CC gun out of my holster and unloaded- in a safe direction- and tried the fit of a new holster. But, I did it with permission at my LGS during slow hours. It is something that they are used to, and it isn't strictly illegal. But, had I pulled my gun out without letting them know, I most likely would have been staring down many barrels aimed directly at my face. And admittedly, people knowing that you're looking to buy a weapon to conceal or a means of concealing a weapon you already have, it's not the same as letting people see that you have a gun hidden under your shirt.

That's another reason why they don't want OCers- because if someone pulls a gun out of a holster, and they can only assume that it's loaded, there are very good chances that someone will get hurt.

How comfortable would anyone be if they were in a store and someone drew a loaded gun out of a holster? Even if you knew that it wasn't meant to be threatening? I'm sure that most everyone here would hit "code orange"- if not darker.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Some stores like Bass Pro Shops have a similar sign. Upon asking once upon a time, I was told that they referred to firearms brought in for repair and not firearms being carried. Also, for example, Cincinnati Bass Pro is attached to a mall and has signs warning "no weapons past this point" at exits that go into the mall itself. I assume others may do the same.
    There is a large sporting goods store near me that has the same policy. If asked they tell you the sign refers to firearms brought in for repair, resale etc. They just want to make sure some idiot didn't forget to unload grandpa's deer rifle before he brought it in to sell. They don't care about legally carried concealed or open carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I have pulled my CC gun out of my holster and unloaded- in a safe direction- and tried the fit of a new holster. But, I did it with permission at my LGS during slow hours. It is something that they are used to, and it isn't strictly illegal. But, had I pulled my gun out without letting them know, I most likely would have been staring down many barrels aimed directly at my face. And admittedly, people knowing that you're looking to buy a weapon to conceal or a means of concealing a weapon you already have, it's not the same as letting people see that you have a gun hidden under your shirt.

That's another reason why they don't want OCers- because if someone pulls a gun out of a holster, and they can only assume that it's loaded, there are very good chances that someone will get hurt.

How comfortable would anyone be if they were in a store and someone drew a loaded gun out of a holster? Even if you knew that it wasn't meant to be threatening? I'm sure that most everyone here would hit "code orange"- if not darker.
    What on earth makes you think that CC'ers are the only ones that check thhier weapons and ask for permission to unholster? Are you really that full of yourself? Or you just like to thumb a nose at folks that OC? Good grief. And do you think everyone that CC's is as courteous as you. There are a bunch of morons out there that carry both ways. If you want to think that CC'ers are the only ones that know what they are doing go ahead in this rosy world of yours. I don't buy it. Read about all of the folks that CC that screw up. It happens. Neither is better than the other and once you get through your head then maybe you can accept that everyone should be able to bear arms equally.
    ericb327 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    What on earth makes you think that CC'ers are the only ones that check thhier weapons and ask for permission to unholster? Are you really that full of yourself? Or you just like to thumb a nose at folks that OC? Good grief. And do you think everyone that CC's is as courteous as you. There are a bunch of morons out there that carry both ways. If you want to think that CC'ers are the only ones that know what they are doing go ahead in this rosy world of yours. I don't buy it. Read about all of the folks that CC that screw up. It happens. Neither is better than the other and once you get through your head then maybe you can accept that everyone should be able to bear arms equally.
    I've got nothing against OCers- I wish I could, but it's illegal here. And, I'm not thumbing my nose at anyone that doesn't deserve it. My point is that it's the store/owner/company policy for many reasons. I have seen, and dealt with, plenty of people who CC who shouldn't be allowed within 100yds of a Super-Soaker. I just look at things the way 'outsiders' do- people who don't carry, people who are against carrying, ect.

I have no preference between CC and OC, and personally couldn't care less about which anyone chooses other than legality. My whole point is to make people look at things from another point of view. Yes, I know that many people who carry a gun are very considerate, and very self-conscious about their actions.But, there are also a lot of people who aren't. THOSE are the ones I worry about. Accidents happen to everyone; their policy is just one more step in trying to avoid them.

I didn't say anything to insult you, and I would appreciate the same courtesy. We're here to exchange ideas, and opinions- not insults.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

These discussions seem to get you heated.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    These discussions seem to get you heated.
    Honestly they do. And not a lot of things get my dander up. But I am personaly sick of folks looking at folks that OC like they are second class citizens and are somehow a threat to the 2nd A. Folks that don't like guns don't like guns whether they can see them or not. Folks bring up all the time cases of an OC'er who makes the news by being stupid but not breaking the law and say they make gun owners look stupid. Well, as far as most of these incidents it stays at the local level and is out of the news in a day and no one really cares or remembers about the guy who took a gun to the voting booth legally or was walking in a park legally but made the local paper. You know what sticks in peoples minds? And what causes damage to the image of gun holders? Cases like Zimmerman and others that CNN has been tracking. They stay in the news and cause real public perception damage.
    Yes, I do get upset when folks make comments like "even if it is legal it was stupid for the person to carry (fill in the blank).
    We are all in the same boat and should have the same cause "NO INFRINGEMENT".

There, I will take my sedative now

Honestly they do. And not a lot of things get my dander up. But I am personaly sick of folks looking at folks that OC like they are second class citizens and are somehow a threat to the 2nd A. Folks that don't like guns don't like guns whether they can see them or not. Folks bring up all the time cases of an OC'er who makes the news by being stupid but not breaking the law and say they make gun owners look stupid. Well, as far as most of these incidents it stays at the local level and is out of the news in a day and no one really cares or remembers about the guy who took a gun to the voting booth legally or was walking in a park legally but made the local paper. You know what sticks in peoples minds? And what causes damage to the image of gun holders? Cases like Zimmerman and others that CNN has been tracking. They stay in the news and cause real public perception damage.
    Yes, I do get upset when folks make comments like "even if it is legal it was stupid for the person to carry (fill in the blank).
    We are all in the same boat and should have the same cause "NO INFRINGEMENT".

There, I will take my sedative now
    They can get me heated too. Most people(especially the ones who stay) here are not the enemy though. Sometimes I have to delete my whole comment an start over and then sometimes I forget and one gets through. My comment above took three edits.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    There's a local Mexican restaurant that has a prominent sign that welcomes concealed carry on the premises. Its nice to see signs that aren't restricting me from carrying.
    Any chance that you could send us a photo of that sign--and the name/location of the restaurant??

Here in Tuscaloosa at the Academy sporting goods store they have a simular sign about checking weapons. However they do allow for Open Carry, I CC 98% of the time but I went in once OC and the kid behind the counter said hel.......o lol but everything was okay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links