Old ? but mind sets do change.

This is a discussion on Old ? but mind sets do change. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I haven't read enough of DC yet to get that paranoid...

View Poll Results: bug or not?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

20 26.67%
  • nope

55 73.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Old ? but mind sets do change.

I haven't read enough of DC yet to get that paranoid
    43hertz and CVarner like this.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, always. Given my need for discretion, my preferred method of carry is pocket carry. Problem is, it is nearly impossible to use your support hand to draw from your strong side pocket.

In a blinding flash of the obvious, I started carrying in both pockets. That takes care of ambidextrous access, gives me a "NY reload," resolves any malfunctions with my primary, and gives me the option of arming someone else.

My combinations are like this, depending on attire: Glock 26/PM9; PM9/LCP; and sometimes LCP x 2.

Now, I know the next question...How do I carry everything else? So:

Wallet right rear pocket
    Credentials/badge left rear pocket (sometimes also a Spyderco 'Native' folding knife)
    Cell phone on belt
    keys on a carabiner

If I'm wearing casual/cargo pants, I can add some spare mags in my left cargo pocket (in a custom dual mag holster by Remora); and a small flashlight and a Quik-Clot in the right cargo pocket.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    ...In a real situation you will rarely have time to get your bug out anyways if you do have any malfunctions with your primary. Seems like a lot of extra weight that would slow you down instead of helping you. I know a lot of people do carry a bug sometimes tho. Depends what you're comfortable with.
    Do you have any practical experience in this, or are you just speculating based on an assumption?

I have no problem drawing my back-up gun and getting two shots on target in less than two seconds from most of my carry positions. I train with my back-up gun extensively.

Also, how do you think carrying an extra 24 oz or so is going to slow you down in an adrenalin charged fight for your life? Have you been in a lot of fights where the weight you were carrying was an issue? I've been in more than a few altercations on the job, and in my experience the weight of the items I've been carrying has never been noticeable.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Go with what Max carries....

Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome - YouTube

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    My EDC is a Glock 26 and a spare mag. The Glock is super, super reliable. But, I have nothing at all against those who wish to carry a BUG. I think it is a good idea, maybe I'll do it someday.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    99% of the time I don't feel the need for a BUG. If I feel an area requires more than 1 gun, I'll avoid it. That said, if I had a job which entails higher risk (LEO) I would always carry a back up, if not 2.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Old saying, "Two is one; and one is none".

VIP Member
    I am set up for it, I will sometimes carry the bug. Most of the time just my edc.

Not a yes or no question for me.

Nope, never, but I would if I felt like the situation warranted it.

I'm not against it, and I'd certainly never try to talk anyone out of it, but I'm confident enough in my primary to trust my life to it.

I voted yes but most of the time it's just one.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
    Old saying, "Two is one; and one is none".
    Lots of old sayings aren't supported by the existing data.

Given the numbers of people who have succesfully defended their lives with what would be, according to the saying, "none",
    I'd think that the saying needs to be "Two is one, and sometimes one is none, and sometimes when it all goes to hell three is none, but pretty frequently one is one".
    Spec likes this.

I'm a quiet man...no back-up needed, just an extra mag for me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

sgb
    There is no ONE correct answer, so many variables to apply. I would say it largely depends on individual threat and comfort levels.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

“ You should wear a 2 Model 1911’s on your belt, carry a Glock 26 in each front pocket and a KelTec 380 strapped on each ankle. You should have a pistol gripped 12 Gauge pump shoved down your right pant leg. Everybody knows you should be ready to take on at least a dozen drug crazed M13 guys in your first gunfight. BTW my Grandpa let me post this. I am 10 years old but I read all of the gun posts!”

Grandpa carries a S&W 642 in a pocket holster. All of the other stuff slows you down when it’s time to run instead of fight!

"Too soon old, too late smart" Old Pennsylvania Dutch Proverb.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links