New Fashion Wrinkle: Stylishly Hiding the Gun

This is a discussion on New Fashion Wrinkle: Stylishly Hiding the Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The NY Times ran this article about a week ago: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us...it_th_20120424 By MATT RICHTEL Published: April 23, 2012 Woolrich, a 182-year-old clothing company, describes its ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Fashion Wrinkle: Stylishly Hiding the Gun

The NY Times ran this article about a week ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/24/us...it_th_20120424

By MATT RICHTEL
    Published: April 23, 2012

Woolrich, a 182-year-old clothing company, describes its new chino pants as an elegant and sturdy fashion statement, with a clean profile and fabric that provides comfort and flexibility.

And they are great for hiding a handgun.

The company has added a second pocket behind the traditional front pocket for a weapon. Or, for those who prefer to pack their gun in a holster, it can be tucked inside the stretchable waistband. The back pockets are also designed to help hide accessories, like a knife and a flashlight.

The chinos, which cost $65, are not for commandos, but rather, the company says, for the fashion-aware gun owner. And Woolrich has competition. Several clothing companies are following suit, building businesses around the sharp rise in people with permits to carry concealed weapons.

“When someone walks down the street in a button-down and khakis, the bad guy gets a glimmer of fear, wondering: are they packing or not?” said Allen Forkner, a spokesman for Woolrich, which started its concealed-carry line in 2010 with three shirts.
    A version of this article appeared in print on April 24, 2012, on page A1 of the New York edition with the headline: New Fashion Wrinkle: Stylishly Hiding the Gun.

=======================

The comments are running the gamut from pro to anti, as expected.

One comment sticks out. In the article it says:

"Gun owners say they want to practice “maximum uncertainty,” meaning that if a gun is sufficiently concealed, a potential criminal will be unsure whether to attack. Gun experts say the research is inconclusive about whether such tactics reduce crime. Regardless, the clothing makers are jumping on the line of thinking."

A reader wrote:
    "What does this phrase mean? I've never seen this term as it relates to gun possession and web searches points back to this article. Did someone say this or are these scare quotes?"
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 4th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

"Are you ready to go dear?"

"Just a minute honey. I just need to grab my Elite Discreet Carry Twill jacket."

Now, there's a mouthful.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The problem with Elite Discreet Carry clothes is that they often scream "gun"!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post

"Just a minute honey. I just need to grab my Shoot Me First Elite Discreet Carry Twill jacket."

Now, there's a mouthful.
    Fixed that for you. :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Originally Posted by Gene83

"Just a minute honey. I just need to grab my Shoot Me First Elite Discreet Carry Twill jacket."

Now, there's a mouthful.
    Fixed that for you. :)
    I agree that a lot of the "tactical" screams "GUN" to those who cc, but this jacket actually looks pretty good to me.....
    Google Image Result for http://www.woolrichelite.com/images/products/elitediscreetcarrytwilljacket.gif

Senior Moderator
    I think that they only scream "GUN" to people that carry guns.
    Since ony around 2-3% of people in this country carry guns for self defense, most of the others are oblivious to it.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The pants don't come in a long enough inseam for me.

The jackets do look pretty nice, however.

VIP Member
    A lot of people are caught up in their own world, ignoring their own SA, and not even noticing someone who is OCing. Clothing designed to conceal a gun would likely be noticed by very few people. iMHO
    goldshellback likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I will definitely be checking out this line of concealed-carry friendly clothing. If those of us who find this a good thing cause them to have an unexpectedly strong uptick in sales, we may have others emulate their example. I would like that!

Now we just need someone with fashion sense to come up with this stuff for the tactical ladies amongst us
    Ally and goldshellback like this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I think that they only scream "GUN" to people that carry guns.
    Since ony around 2-3% of people in this country carry guns for self defense, most of the others are oblivious to it.
    Exactly. The average person is lost in their own little world. So what if they do notice? Years ago,I asked a retired cop what would happen if somebody noticed a lump where my gun is located. He replied, " who cares? you have a license to carry and as long as it is reasonably concealed it is none of their business".
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Great idea, but the stretch waistband looks terrible. If you're going to include one, at least use the "invisible" design that other manufacturers are using.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Heck, I'll let you guys into a little secret.
    Go to your local Army/Navy Store and see if they have some Tru-Spec BDU Cargo Pants.
    They are $32 to $36 dollars a pair and come with stretch waste bands a extra pockets inside the thigh cargo pockets that work well for a handgun. I can carry a full size frame, but usually limit myself to my LC9 because of the weight issue. I can carry my S&W Sigma, with the Crimson Trace Laser, no problem, but it presses against my leg more than I'm comfortable when seated in a form fitted seat with that large a frame.

Not to mention magazine pockets on the side at the hips, which also work well for mini mag flashlights, knives, screwdrivers, pens, etc. And the knees are reinforced and have poickets for inserting knee pads if you want.
    Then there are the small outside pockets on the Cargo Pockets that are perfect for cell phones. The best part is I can still retrieve my handgun from my cargo pocket while seated in my pickup.

They also come in shorts too.
    Here's a Video of them.

Review of the 24-7 Pants by Truspec - Uniform Pants / Cargo Pant - YouTube

Since I'm a Cargo Pants type guy most people think it's a fashion statement for me.
    I've been wearing them for years and have carried in them from day one.
    I even carry around the house in the shorts. You'd have to know I was armed and look hard to tell I'm carrying.

Sure a lot cheaper to go this way.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    They have guns in NY?
    goldshellback likes this.

CCW Breakaways

I have been wearing these to work for over a year now, they conceal my Commander size 1911 when I need to play dress up for work or an evening out on the town. Nothing tactical looking about these at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links