CC at a movie theater?

CC at a movie theater?

This is a discussion on CC at a movie theater? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im researching this more but figured i'd post here in case someone has a great answer. In Michigan... So I believe the law to be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: CC at a movie theater?

CC at a movie theater?

Im researching this more but figured i'd post here in case someone has a great answer.
    In Michigan...

So I believe the law to be no CC in a venue that seats 2500 or more. How would a movie theater fall in this category. A large theater(meaning the entire building capacity) could easily seat 2500 or more people. However the individual theater room you would be in would be less then 2500. Would this be legal or illegal?

This is what the Michigan.gov website says for "pistol free zones"

6. An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more

Obviously the safe bet is dont carry in there but if I can ...
    XD9sc
    XDm 45c

I am no lawyer, but would put substantial money up that it means 2500 seats in the SAME auditorium. Movie theaters are fine. In my state where the gun laws are very liberal (meaning you can carry dang near anywhere) I carry to theaters all the time. Oh what I am saying, unless I am going to the court house, I carry EVERYWHERE.
    JCabranes likes this.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    The operative word in the PFZ #6 is "facility". The facility would encompass all of the theatres, not just the one you're sitting in.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    Multiplex theaters(over 2500) are considered PFZs as far as I have ever been able to determine.

If you want to be the test case for it, go ahead. Or, you could stick to the old fashioned single screen theaters. Some small towns still have them.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Or concealed is concealed... just saying.

PS... pretty much the last place I'd want to be without my CCW is at the movie theater in Flint... the one over by Bristol Road or even worse at the Courtland Mall. Even the new one in Grand Blanc can get sketchy. (Moved away from Flint about 10 years ago... thank God)

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post

PS... pretty much the last place I'd want to be without my CCW is at the movie theater in Flint... the one over by Bristol Road or even worse at the Courtland Mall. Even the new one in Grand Blanc can get sketchy. (Moved away from Flint about 10 years ago... thank God)

Yeah movie theaters are known to attract a lot of sketchy teenagers regardless of where you live.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

The way I understand the law, you are not allowed to if the facility seats over 2500 people, BUT you ARE allowed to open carry in PFZs with your CPL. So, even if you can't conceal, in MI, you are allowed to open carry at movie theaters, however, you may be asked to leave if the establishment does not like open carry.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

It still baffles me all of the crap a lot of folks on here have to consider when CC'ing in their states...more power to you guys where you live. at the end of the day, its fantastic they are still allowed to CC, but geez...you better plan out every aspect of your day and think of every possible tangent or what you may do or not do given X different variables.

Thank you PA for none of this garbage. :)

Back on topic...unless there is clear definition or precedent on whether the 2500 seat requirement applies to the entire complex or just one theater inside the complex, i personally would play it safe and not chance it. Agreed that concealed is concealed, but stuff happens. Just my risk assessment...everyone must decide for themselves.
    JohnWFD and All_Business like this.

my cpl instructor told us mutiplex theaters are a pfz. its the entire building.

Quote Originally Posted by mandpeter View Post
    Instructors have been known to be wrong. It is best to check the law for yourself.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Instructors have been known to be wrong. It is best to check the law for yourself.
    Yep. Instructors and cops, two of the occupations most looked to for information by the new gunners.... are not necessarily always right.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandpeter View Post
    I once heard an instructor say that he'd go unarmed before he'd carry anything smaller than a 9mm. For some reason he didn't like me laughing in his face.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palumbo3284 View Post
    It still baffles me all of the crap a lot of folks on here have to consider when CC'ing in their states...more power to you guys where you live. at the end of the day, its fantastic they are still allowed to CC, but geez...you better plan out every aspect of your day and think of every possible tangent or what you may do or not do given X different variables.

Thank you PA for none of this garbage. :)

Back on topic...unless there is clear definition or precedent on whether the 2500 seat requirement applies to the entire complex or just one theater inside the complex, i personally would play it safe and not chance it. Agreed that concealed is concealed, but stuff happens. Just my risk assessment...everyone must decide for themselves.
    +1 Palumbo.....I would go crazy trying to figure out where and when I could carry.....would make me put the gun back in the closet!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post

LMAO. You understand what im thinking then. Movies gets out and "savages" are runnin wild in the parking lot. They tend to have some pent up energy after having to be quiet for the last few hours while the movie was playing. Last night we went to see Avengers and went to the Birch Run theater. I wont go to theaters in Flint anymore.
    XD9sc
    XDm 45c

Weird law. Just caught the Avengers yesterday with my 9 year old. Had an M&P 357 SIG on my belt and a p238 in my pocket. Oddly, no one was harmed or shot during the viewing of this movie, which was safely enjoyed by all in attendance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links