Hey shoulder holsterers

Hey shoulder holsterers

This is a discussion on Hey shoulder holsterers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've rejected the shoulder holster method previous to this but I'm thinking that it might be right for me for a variety of reasons so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey shoulder holsterers

Hey shoulder holsterers

I've rejected the shoulder holster method previous to this but I'm thinking that it might be right for me for a variety of reasons so I need explore the issue a bit.

Is it weird carrying a gun this way? How long did it take to adjust to this method?

Does it sway back and forth and bang into your side?

How about it hitting your elbow? Does it happen?

Does it chafe?

Does the harness limit your ability to lift your arms or does it interfere with your arm movement at all?

The shoulder hoster carry is probably my most liked. To answer you questions in order: No it is not weird. It only took about an hour to adjust. Most good holsters have adjustments that, if adjusted correctly it will not sway very much. It shouldnt be low enough to touch your elbows. The harnes should sit right above your elbow towards the bottom of your bicept. I know with my harness there are elastic strapts that connect to my belt. These alow for very high range of motion. Any other questions just ask. I think you will find its very comfy. Its a good way to carry in the winter but not too practical in the summer.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I've used a Jackass Shoulder Holster, now owned by Galco, for many years. I've carried every thing from a Sig P230 to a Glock 21 in them. Very comfortable if you get the wide shoulder straps. I'd highly recommend them. They are not cheap and are now called the Miami Vice Model. The key to comfortable shoulder holster is wide straps to support the gun and magazines. I only carry this way when I cover it with a heavy shirt or jacket.
    Winter carry.

Jungle Work

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Galco Miami Classic for a Sig 226 9mm and 2x17rd mags.

Probably my most convienient carry method. No problems when going to the restroom, no banging into things with your hip and hearing a "clunk". No "cover garment" required.

I wear mine under moderately heavy buttonup shirts, tucked in. Wife usually can't tell I'm carrying, and she knows I always am.

Upside: Comfortable, deep concealment, no fuss with belt or pants

Downside: Slow draw, very slow if you wear it like I do... or you have to rip the buttoms on your shirt.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Warren, you and I are going to be learning together from the looks of it! I've got about every other method of carry covered...IWB, OWB, SmartCarry, bellyband; so a shoulder rig just seemed to be the next item on the list...heh.

After a lot of asking around, I ordered a Aker Flatsider XR7 from Galls for $114.99, which I found was a fair price in comparison to other rigs. http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...LP305&cat=2955 They make this rig for select models of Beretta, Glock, H&K, SIG and S&W.

My plan is to use this method of carry during fall/winter when wearing windshirts, fleece pullover, leather coat, etc. Mostly when driving or running errands where I won't be parting with my cover garment.

I've heard it takes some getting used to, but is workable. I'll soon find out.

Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I've used a Jackass Shoulder Holster, now owned by Galco, for many years. I've carried every thing from a Sig P230 to a Glock 21 in them. Very comfortable if you get the wide shoulder straps. I'd highly recommend them. They are not cheap and are now called the Miami Vice Model. The key to comfortable shoulder holster is wide straps to support the gun and magazines. I only carry this way when I cover it with a heavy shirt or jacket.
    Winter carry.

Jungle Work
    I'd have to go with Jungle on this one "Wide Straps" I had one with narrow straps and hated it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I'm certainly going with wide straps, I had a backpack in highschool that had narrow straps. Learned my lesson then.

Jimmy, I've tried Smartcarry, that was a no go, strong side in a c-tac also a no go, a Mikes fanny pack that was totally craptastic was the most no go of them all.

Currently I carry my P220 in my front pocket covered by a little fanny pack and a long shirt. This is tolerable, but really slow and impossible to access while sitting.

I have back injuries from an accident and I find a gun on my hip to wear on me after only a short while. Having it up front helps a little, but not enough.

So I've been thinking of various types of bags with a shoulder strap might work, many advantages but I really don't want to carry a big bag with me all the time.

So my focus has switched to shoulder rigs, I plan on carrying a big gun so it will need to be a vertical style and it so happens I really like the looks and operation of that Andrew's Leather Springbreak I posted about earlier. Though I am certainly willing to look at other rigs if you know of any.

I'm not worried about the summer/winter thing this method, if I adapt to it, will be my fulltime carry rig just by necessity.

I'll order up some nice cover shirts like the Israeli ones that had the forums abuzz awhile back. I don't think unbuttoned Dickies brand shirts will look right, plus I like the idea of the lower pockets for weighing the shirt down.

Warren

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I carry my P229 in a Jackass Rig when I am driving long distances. It is the most convenient carry while sitting, since it is readilly accessible, and more comfortable to boot. I sometimes carry that way during cold weather under a heavy jacket as well.

Man, I've never heard of anyone carrying a P220 in a front pocket. Sounds really uncomfortable. If you are looking for a good carry bag for hiking, etc... Look at one of these

Maxpedition Versipack
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Warren: + 1 on the wide straps , my wife modified my Galco Miami Classic where it rides over the shoulder and I use it to carry a full size and commander size 1911 for all but the warmest months here in Mi.
    She found some soft leather about 3 inches wide and hand stiched them in on the shoulder area, if I could post pics at the moment I would but camera took a leap off the trunk of the car.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I notice most of these are horizontal, any ideas/experience on vertical shoulder holsters. Thinking about one for extended wear while driving cross country.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

I shoulder carry when ever I am in the desert with no issues.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

With vertical shoulder carry, although more slim-line with the body and less noticable, it is super slow on the draw.

Sheldon...

as a 'former' Michigander, where are the deserts?
    Try Fist, Inc...they offer a very nice shoulder holster!
    IMHO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Warren, if you would compromise on gun size, it would open up a lot of possibilities, and perhaps more comfort. That P220 is a big cannon when compared to many carry pieces that folks carry with comfort.

Here is a picture of the Lou Alessi Bodyguard shoulder rig, which has very wide shoulder straps.

There is also a vertical shoulder rig that Alessi makes.

Hate to nag on you, Warren, but I'd sure look for a smaller piece and then seek out carry methods. Regardless of what folks say, a smaller and lighter carry gun can bring with it a lot of comfort.

Finally, I echo p8riot's statement about the Maxpedition Versipack for touring/hiking use...I carry in their Jumbo Versipack.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 8th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.

retsupt99 said:
    as a 'former' Michigander, where are the deserts?
    OK students, get out your US maps and we'll start with Arizona, then Nevada, then...
    Michiganders have lots of cars.

Sorry, couldn't help it, you set that one up so well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links