Realtor Safety

This is a discussion on Realtor Safety within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you may know, I am a Realtor. An inherently dangerous occupation if you think about it! Every Sept. is "Realtor Safety Month". ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Realtor Safety

Realtor Safety

As some of you may know, I am a Realtor. An inherently dangerous occupation if you think about it! Every Sept. is "Realtor Safety Month". Every Sept. we get jambed down our throats how to fend off an attacker. Of course, never is it mentioned that concealed carry would be a GREAT alternative!!! I've written the following article to "maybe" get other agents to think about "maybe" there's alternatives out there to stomping on someone's foot to get away.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3273.html
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

2. Remove Ads

Good read. I can only hope that some others take the plunge.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Good article, hope it motivates some thought among the real estate industry.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Nice article, my mother is a realtor, Ill pass on the link to her.
    Curry

VIP Member
    Very good article. Do you mind if I repost that in my blog?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    +1 Linda! We have in the past had a series of assaults in our area on female realtors meeting someone to view a house and usually alone with them. Scary!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

yes great article, thanks for sharing

Recently I was looking at some property (in the middle of nowhere) with a female realtor. The property was a little "snakey" looking so she went back to her vehicle and got her husbands Sig. loaded with snakeshot. She apologized for the gun and explained why she got it.
    Now I never tell someone about my CCW, BUT this time I figured it may teach her a minor lesson about not knowing people. So I told her "That's ok, you didn't need it, I have mine." And lifted my shirt revealing my holstered 1911. To keep her calm, I smiled politely and told her all was fine. We talked about guns for awhile and she told me later, " I was with you for over an hour and had no clue, you had a gun. I guess that shows me. " As a note .... The realtor, her husband, and I became quick friends and shoot together whenever we get the opportunity. Be careful out there Linda, not everyone is a good guy, that's for sure. Stay Safe !
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

VIP Member
    Good job Linda. I am helping a realtor friend of mine in Virginia get her CHP. She has already been in some situations she wasn't totally comfortable with. Nothing bad has happened...so far.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Very good article. Do you mind if I repost that in my blog?
    Please do!!! I would appreciate the link to Buckeye Firearms remaining!

Too many people live in the naive world that nothing will happen to them. They don't think about the fact that we carry homeowners insurance just in case, or health insurance just in case, or we keep fire extinquishers just in case. Well, I think all of us conceal carry....,just in case!!! The likelihood that we will NEED it, hopefully is low. But I will maintain my self protection insurance...,just in case!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Lead Moderator
    Think that's a great article. I sure hope it gets some good done, and changes some minds.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Excellent article, Linda!

When we were looking for a house down here in Florida, our agent took us to a nice looking house in an area bordering a less than nice looking neighborhood. She popped the lockbox and we went in to look around. The garage door entered off the kitchen, and as I went in there I noticed the frame was split open. I rounded up my wife and the realtor and we backed out of the house and called the police.

It turns out the criminal was not in the home, but had broken into the side door of the garage and then into the home.

While I was getting the two of them out of the house, I had my hand under my shirt on my carry pistol (at that time an H&K USP in .40). When we were waiting for the deputies, the realtor asked if I had hurt my back when we were leaving because "I noticed you were holding your side like my husband does when his back hurts".

To this day, I don't think she ever knew I was armed. :)

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I am also a Realtor and also CCW. In fact, there are at least half a dozen in our office that also CCW...and that's in California!

Was just reading this morning in the latest Realtor magazine I just received about the "Sept Safety" emphasis. The article warned not to carry a gun "because it could be taken away from you". What bunk.

Percentage wise, I'd bet that Realtors are among the highest armed of all non-LEO professions.

My wife is also a Realtor and that is one of the reasons we both our CCW permits. I had planned to got it for her for our 11th anniversary, the book we go by said it was supposed to be steel. She couldn't figure out what to get me so I "helped her" by sharing my plan. I got a S&W 442 and she got a S&W 340 and a carry purse from Coronado leather. She now carries daily and I carry when I am not working.

Ed

Great article Linda, I hope it opens the eyes of ladies that think the unthinkable will always happen to someone else. I work for a moving company and am in and out of houses all day long. I'm a guy, so I don't have to worry about being raped, but I've been in more than a few situations that the hairs stood up on my neck. So I can certainly understand your position. Guns are the great equalizer.
    Pepper spray, martial arts (unless you're really good), cannot compensate for the added weight, reach and strength of a man. I talk to women about joining the NRA and becoming comfortable carrying a gun. The answer is usually the same. "Oh, I don't think so, my husband is the gun person in our house." Pretty sad, but true.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links