What Do You Do If You Come Across Someone Wanted Badly By Police?

This is a discussion on What Do You Do If You Come Across Someone Wanted Badly By Police? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been following, with one eye because it's so awful, the story of that kidnapper who already killed two of those he abducted and still ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: What Do You Do If You Come Across Someone Wanted Badly By Police?

I've been following, with one eye because it's so awful, the story of that kidnapper who already killed two of those he abducted and still has two children with him. Authorities are desperate to find him before he kills more, if he hasn't already.

Often you read about a civilian who happens to see the felon in this and other types of cases, in a store, fast-food place etc. What would you do if you were in that position and armed - outside of calling police - if the man left before the police got there? I know one guy recently followed and stopped the car the kidnapper was in - and the little girl who was his victim managed to flee in the process.

Do you stop him from leaving by holding him at gunpoint? I'm not sure that's legal - you don't know for sure it's the criminal even if you're sure. No independent verification. Or maybe it is certain because he has the victim with him, a child out of fear who doesn't try to run - or maybe is tied-up in the car.

I know this is highly unlikely, but it's a point I know nothing about, so I thought I'd throw it out here. What would be the legal approach for a citizen who has a CCW and is armed?

PS: Cross your spiritual fingers for these two kids who are in great danger from this kidnapper-killer on the run - if anyone needs prayers they do.

Watching. This is something I've wondered as well.
    Spade115 likes this.

Call 911 hope there is a reward and that it is the right BG.
    Armey likes this.

ok guys, this is a reality lesson.
    For the most part on this board the majority of people are interested in guns and some of us have permits to carry weapons concealed in public.
    here's the important stuff,

we are NOT leo's, cops, deputies or justices of the peace, we also are not super heroes. REPEAT THIS TO YOURSELF AS NECESSARY!

If you happen to spot a wanted person the wisest thing that you could do would be to discreetly call 911 and tell them all that you can to assist them.
    THAT IS IT!
    DO NOT APPROACH, DO NOT TRY TO DETAIN, DO NOT SCREAM OUT HE'S WANTED

unless the bad guy becomes a threat to you or your loved ones you should not do anything but be a good witness.
    all you should do is just make the call and be as helpful as you can.

M.
    I'd call 911 first and the rest would depend on if I saw a child with them or not.

CCW aside I'm a parent so that's the perspective I think from. Not going to interfere or act as an officer, but if I saw a child struggling to get away I couldn't just do nothing.

Call 911 and become the best witness I possibly can be.
    Secret Spuk and nerdyvirgin like this.

A firearm doesn't make you a LEO or a superhero. You either need a badge or a red cape.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    read post #4 a few times

though i have been of service to strangers over the years as things are today, with cell phones and cameras everwhere...

should it be that i see a 10 most wanted....after 911 id buy a lottery ticket.

all bets are off if i heard screaming from a car trunk...
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by M. View Post
    I'd call 911 first and the rest would depend on if I saw a child with them or not.

CCW aside I'm a parent so that's the perspective I think from. Not going to interfere or act as an officer, but if I saw a child struggling to get away I couldn't just do nothing.
    So - what WOULD you do?

VIP Member
    Before you open this door first ask yourself these questions.

Are you confident enough in your mindset, skillset and training to do it? This guy has killed several and apparently has no problem with it, could you kill him if you had to? Make no mistake this is not some street punk snatching a chain, he is the real deal no remorse, psychopath that you only read about.

You are going to have to give a challenge to him can't just shoot him. What if it is not him and tries to run away and you shoot? Oops, sorry partner I thought you were the bad guy here is my checkbook.
    Would you close the distance to within your effective range before you challenge him?
    Is your EDC up to the task? Are you carrying a pocket rocket or a full size duty gun?
    If he grabbed someone as a hostage could you engage and eliminate him without hurting the hostage?

Before anyone states these are all what if's damn straight they are. If you choose to cross that threshold you better be ready for whatever comes about. Again someone like this guy has killed women and kids I don't think he would be the least bit intimidated by someone with a gun.

From the legal standpoint you are not a LEO, would you be the hero of the day if you captured him, you bet. Would you be crucified if you drew, challenged, and he then shot the remaining hostages or someone else? Yep. You would be labeled a Rambo vigilante who took the law into your own hands and caused the death of innocents trying to be a cop.

A lot would depend on your state's laws but I think more importantly this would all hinge on the outcome of the event.

Hero or villian it is only a trigger pull away. It is all up to you.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    503.070 Protection of another. (1) The use of physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when: (a) The defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect a third person against the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by the other person; and (b) Under the circumstances as the defendant believes them to be, the person whom he seeks to protect would himself have been justified under KRS 503.050 and 503.060 in using such protection. (2) The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when: (a) The defendant believes that such force is necessary to protect a third person against imminent death, serious physical injury, kidnapping, sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat, or other felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055; and (b) Under the circumstances as they actually exist, the person whom he seeks to protect would himself have been justified under KRS 503.050 and 503.060 in using such protection. (3) A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be. Effective: July 12, 2006 History: Amended 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 192, sec. 4, effective July 12, 2006. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 32, effective January 1, 1975

Kentucky revised statutes
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

call 911 and be a good witness. Others have already covered the bases of all that could go wrong and how you're not a LEO or super hero
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I think a lot depends on if you are just spotting someone sitting in MacDonald's - or if the felon is endangering others - for ex.: one poster's scenario of screaming coming from the trunk. The law usually allows use of lethal force if others lives are at stake, and certain crimes automatically give the right to use all means if there is no other way to stop another being killed or gravely injured: kidnapping is one of these crimes.

The second questions have already been brought out, here and now on planet earth, what am I capable of? And then other questions: I have my own family. Should I risk depriving them of a husband and father to intervene? No one can answer this type of question. Only the individual.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If someone is beating me to death and you know I'm not the BG, please shoot them! Or help in some way.

I would not get involved if I didn't have facts. I would if it was a clear cut case of defense of another.
    Mike1956, 21bubba and BurgerBoy like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Call 911, give them your name, the location of where the person they are looking for is, and if safe to do so, keep an eye on the person until the police arrive.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links