Oklahoma Now Allows Non Permit Holders From AK, AZ, VT, WY to Carry (EDITED)

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Now Allows Non Permit Holders From AK, AZ, VT, WY to Carry (EDITED) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read this article today and I haven't heard anything about it. It states carries from states that don't issue permits can carry in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oklahoma Now Allows Non Permit Holders From AK, AZ, VT, WY to Carry (EDITED)

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Oklahoma Now Allows Non Permit Holders From AK, AZ, VT, WY to Carry (EDITED)

I just read this article today and I haven't heard anything about it. It states carries from states that don't issue permits can carry in OK. Can anyone give me a bill #? Thank You

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - Gun-toting residents of other states will be allowed to carry concealed weapons in Oklahoma under a bill signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin.

Fallin on Monday signed the bill, which allows gun owners from states that don't require a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Oklahoma. Under the bill, the firearm must remain concealed and the person must have a valid identification to prove that he or she is a legal resident of a non-permitting state.

Under Oklahoma law, a resident wishing to carry a concealed weapon must be at least 21 years old, take a firearms training course, pay a fee and apply for a permit.

EDITED

I found it. SB 1785

https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/leg...2R/SB/1785.pdf
    Last edited by Gary Slider; May 8th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Fallin on Monday signed the bill, which allows gun owners from states that don't require a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Oklahoma. Under the bill, the firearm must remain concealed and the person must have a valid identification to prove that he or she is a legal resident of a non-permitting state.

Not so. It says from states that don't require a permit. Alaska, Arizona, Vermont are the three that I know and there may be more. Illinois and DC have no permit system whatsoever.

I will have to look at it again. I believe you are correct. That is why I have to study it more. But that would mean, Alaska, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming.

Edited and Added.

The law states: "Nonpermitting carry state" so that would be AK, AZ, VT and WY. Thank you for pointing that out.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

We would like to officially trade legislators from Okla with ours for a few months, get a few things taken care of, and then we'll send them back home. We will pay all expenses.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Screw that Eagle, I want to keep my legislators, thank you very much.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Screw that Eagle, I want to keep my legislators, thank you very much.
    I agree, well I agree with keeping some of them. the ones that did the swing vote blocking the open carry veto override a couple of years ago I can do without.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Being from Nebraska and a Husker fan I hate to write it but... Go Oklahoma!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The wording is rather confusing.

AK, AZ, and WY are all “permitting’ states although they have Constitutional Carry. As such, I read this as residents of these 3 states will need their states permit to CC in OK. There is only 1 ‘non permitting’ state which allows CC and that is VT. So far as I can tell, only VT residents would be allowed to CC without a permit in OK.

IL and DC are non permitting, and since it would be illegal to carry there, OK will not recognize IL or DC residents as non permitting.

Anyway, that’s my take on it. Probably wrong tho.

Chris

I read it as if you can carry in your state without a permit/license then you can carry in Oklahoma with just your State ID.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Gary,

I see your point but I’m not sure if you are correct.

Basically, in this law, OK now recognizes all other state permits. I think they made a provision for VT in the ‘non permitting’ text. I don't think there is any more to it than that. It's just their way of honoring all other state permits.

I hope you are right. I guess it will boil down to what OK actually considers as ‘non permitting’ state(s).

Chris

Oklahoma already honors all other states permit/licenses. See Law Below. They have added that states that allow permitless carry can carry in OK with just their state issued ID. That would be Vermont. But that would also be Alaska, Arizona and Wyoming as they allow their residents to carry without a permit/license from the state. All the other states don't allow carry for their residents without a permit/license so they would have to have a permit/license from their state to carry in OK.

§21-1290.26. Reciprocal agreement authority.
    RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
    The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.
    Added by Laws 1996, c. 191, § 20, emerg. eff. May 16, 1996. Amended by Laws 1998, c. 286, § 7, eff. July 1, 1998; Laws 2003, c. 465, § 9, eff. July 1, 2003.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I also see your point. But permitless carry is just that. I don't read it if your state doesn't issue a permit/license as that would then mean IL and DC residents could carry in OK on their state issued ID. They state permitless carry which means you can carry without a permit.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Gary,

I missed that OK ALREADY honors all other states.

So, you are right. I can’t think of any other reason for the wording in this bill except as you suggest.

This could be a prelude to Constitutional Carry in OK. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Good catch.

Chris

I am interested on how the OSBI is going to list this on their website. I am also thinking on how I am going to list it on Handgunlaw.us This is another quirk in who states honor and it makes it more difficult to show this without all the X's and O's getting so confusing you don't know what is going on. Good thing is this law does not go into effect until Nov 1, 2012 so I have time to figure something out.
    stancehold likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links