Traveling to Florida later this month

This is a discussion on Traveling to Florida later this month within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read the Florida laws but I am never convinced that there is not something "out there" that slips under the radar. That being said, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Traveling to Florida later this month

I've read the Florida laws but I am never convinced that there is not something "out there" that slips under the radar. That being said, I'm traveling to Orlando on business later this month and want to know from the friendly folks from the Sunshine state if there is anything in particular that I should be aware of. I don't drink so alcohol establishments aren't a concern. Thanks in advance!
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Florida honors Texas permits. Our laws are very similar to Texas. No open carry. Must be concealed. No requirement to notify.
    Signs do not carry weight of law, however, if you are asked to leave you must leave. Armed tresspassing is a felony.
    Anymore questions, just ask or check here...Handgunlaw.us
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption is a no-go. That means most casual dining places are a no-go.

I don't drink in public, but in FL I can't even eat at a good steakhouse. (To the best of my knowledge.)

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Just remember Florida's stand your ground law is making the streets run red just like in the old wild west, that is according to the liberal media. Every man, woman and child is packin' and even a great number of service animals have been trained to draw and fire on command. So just watch yer step pilgrim. All seriousness aside, Florida is what it is, and concealed is concealed.

One important fact...

Orlando is an "extra mag" town.
    Stubborn and The Old Anglo like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    790.06 (12) License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
     Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
     any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
     any detention facility, prison, or jail;
     any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
     any polling place;
     any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
     any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
     any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms;
     any school administration building;
    any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
     any elementary or secondary school facility;
     any area vocational-technical center;
     any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or non-lethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
     inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
     any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law
    This would mean if you are seated in the restaurant area you are legal. You could not sit in the bar area, and you absolutely can not drink while carrying.
    Cowbilly32 and DoctorBob like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My wife and I are leaving PA tomorrow and driving to Charlotte for a few days then on to Fort Lauderdale. This is very helpful!

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    This would mean if you are seated in the restaurant area you are legal. You could not sit in the bar area, and you absolutely can not drink while carrying.
    Not true, as long as you are not in the bar portion of a restaurant, you may have a beer with dinner...I've done it on occasion.

This is the quirk of the law...
    You may not be armed while sitting in the bar portion of Applebee's (as an example) even if you're only eating and not having a beer, however, you CAN sit in the restaurant part of Applebee's while armed and have a beer with dinner.

I am not suggesting anyone consume a beer while armed, just stating what the law allows.
    rolyat63 and The Old Anglo like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My understanding is that you are good in any establishment gets makes the majority of its business from food as opposed to liquor. This would rule out bars that serve some food like peanuts, pretzels or popcorn. As long as you aren't sitting in or at the bar but at a table in the restaurant portion you should be good. I've been carrying for the past 15 yrs. and we eat out a lot. Don't leave home without it, I don't! I've heard that you aren't legally allowed to even walk through the bar area, but when you gotta go, you gotta go and the john's are often in or off the bar area. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not true, as long as you are not in the bar portion of a restaurant, you may have a beer with dinner...I've done it on occasion.

This is the quirk of the law...
    You may not be armed while sitting in the bar portion of Applebee's (as an example) even if you're only eating and not having a beer, however, you CAN sit in the restaurant part of Applebee's while armed and have a beer with dinner.

I am not suggesting anyone consume a beer while armed, just stating what the law allows.
    Thanks for the clarification!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Thanks Stubborn (lol, sound insulting doesn't it). This was my understanding as well when I read the laws. Sounds like I don't have anything to be concerned about regarding staying within the law. Now Orlando being an "extra mag" town is another matter. Thanks Retsup99.
    Stubborn likes this.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One important fact...

Orlando is an "extra mag" town.
    I'm too new to CC so this is a new term to me. Can you please explain?

leave the hoodie home

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'm too new to CC so this is a new term to me. Can you please explain?
    Apparently Orlando is an at risk city and retsupt99 is warning me to be sure to have enough rounds with me. Not sure if the statement it is tongue-in-cheek or serious.

USAF 1986 - 1995
    Glock 23 2008 - Present

Ah seems logical! My first and only visit to Orlando was early 90's and we were @ Disney

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links