New Mexico Reciprocity Confusion ??? Help please .....

This is a discussion on New Mexico Reciprocity Confusion ??? Help please ..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that New Mexico ...... in the recent past .... has been dropping some states from their reciprocity agreements. I don't know just what ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary Slider

Thread: New Mexico Reciprocity Confusion ??? Help please .....

I understand that New Mexico ...... in the recent past .... has been dropping some states from their reciprocity agreements. I don't know just what states were dropped. Anyone know which states??

I received an email from RMGO.ORG saying that New Mexico maybe would drop Colorado also.

I did a check today on handgunlaw.us and it said NM was now "adding back" some states that have been recently dropped.

Can anyone tell me what is the status with NM??? I live in Colorado and definitely wont be spending any tourist money in NM if they wont except my CO permit......

Hope this makes sense.........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Check:

Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

Given that things are in flux, I check it every morning to be sure my permits are still good. The list of valid permits is about half way down the page. If you do a search on this forum over the last 3 weeks or so, you'll get the history of NM dropping most states, then reversing. The story isn't over, they are still ... doing what they say on the web link above. No way to predict when or what further changes, as far as I can tell. They got a lot of pressure, for sure, so I'm guessing (only) that they will maintain quite a bit of reciprocity. I will note that Gov. Martinez made sure all the television stations taped her CCW requalification last year.

OUR Atty Gen's office wasn't even aware of it, until several of us emailed them, and they are trying to figure out what's going on, etc. as well.... and not having much luck. The only response they got was "we are continuing our audit and will keep you advised of changes" . The AG didn't understand this, since there is a recriprocal agreement which requires them to notify the other state if there are any changes in laws, conditions, or status..... but were never told that our State was eliminated, but now has been added back onto the list.

Sounds like a cluster and there is a either a power struggle going on within the NM DPS office, or ... they are totally confused.

Ours , the question was all related to the question on whether resident aliens are allowed to get a license and carry.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    OUR Atty Gen's office wasn't even aware of it, until several of us emailed them, and they are trying to figure out what's going on, etc. as well.... and not having much luck. The only response they got was "we are continuing our audit and will keep you advised of changes" . The AG didn't understand this, since there is a recriprocal agreement which requires them to notify the other state if there are any changes in laws, conditions, or status..... but were never told that our State was eliminated, but now has been added back onto the list.

Sounds like a cluster and there is a either a power struggle going on within the NM DPS office, or ... they are totally confused.

Ours , the question was all related to the question on whether resident aliens are allowed to get a license and carry.
    Sounds like NM is not communicated with other states very well. I would like to know which states were eliminated AND then "brought back." Anyone out there know??? Thanks...

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    Check:

Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety

Given that things are in flux, I check it every morning to be sure my permits are still good. The list of valid permits is about half way down the page. If you do a search on this forum over the last 3 weeks or so, you'll get the history of NM dropping most states, then reversing. The story isn't over, they are still ... doing what they say on the web link above. No way to predict when or what further changes, as far as I can tell. They got a lot of pressure, for sure, so I'm guessing (only) that they will maintain quite a bit of reciprocity. I will note that Gov. Martinez made sure all the television stations taped her CCW requalification last year.
    Thanks Mark .......

You seem to reside in two drastically different states ..... gun wise (IL,NM)

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    New Mexico 6 months ago honor just at 24 states. Then they dropped VA, UT, KY and FL and a couple others. Then on April 27 they dropped 10 more.
    New Mexico dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honored on that date.

New Mexico then would only only honor 5 states which were Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota & Oklahoma.

On May 1 they added most of the states back but not UT, SC, KY and maybe a couple others as there were so many changes.

On May 1 they posted this list of states they would hoor: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

When they changed their listing on April 27th they put wording out from every state they dropped like this:

Colorado: http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html Concealed carry requirements are not substantially similar to New
    Mexico or at least as stringent, so Colorado is not recognized by NM. Contact Colorado officials to determine if your NM
    CC license is recognized there.

They stated they really didn't drop those states but were still looking at them. Everyone else including me didn't have any problems understanding what they meant. They stated it in very clear language: "So Colorado is not Recognized by NM." I think that is clear. I am not sure all what happened but many were involved and the list was reposted. The NM DPS website still states they are researching and from all they state things will change and NM will drop most of those states unless NM law is changed. Political Pressure tells NM DPS to let things alone or someone new takes over NM DPS. We will just have to wait until things are sorted out on their end and they state their exact policy on honoring other states.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Thanks Mark .......

You seem to reside in two drastically different states ..... gun wise (IL,NM)
    I noticed that. Takes three separate permits to keep one gun at home in Chicago (state, city, gun). (Only one can be assembled and loaded, many other regs...). NM was so much better, but now we wait and see and keep up pressure... Hopefully one of my 5 CCW permits will stay legal (IL resident, NM doesn't offer nonres permits).

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    New Mexico 6 months ago honor just at 24 states. Then they dropped VA, UT, KY and FL and a couple others. Then on April 27 they dropped 10 more.
    New Mexico dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honored on that date.

New Mexico then would only only honor 5 states which were Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota & Oklahoma.

On May 1 they added most of the states back but not UT, SC, KY and maybe a couple others as there were so many changes.

On May 1 they posted this list of states they would hoor: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

When they changed their listing on April 27th they put wording out from every state they dropped like this:

Colorado: http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/Reciprocity.html Concealed carry requirements are not substantially similar to New
    Mexico or at least as stringent, so Colorado is not recognized by NM. Contact Colorado officials to determine if your NM
    CC license is recognized there.

They stated they really didn't drop those states but were still looking at them. Everyone else including me didn't have any problems understanding what they meant. They stated it in very clear language: "So Colorado is not Recognized by NM." I think that is clear. I am not sure all what happened but many were involved and the list was reposted. The NM DPS website still states they are researching and from all they state things will change and NM will drop most of those states unless NM law is changed. Political Pressure tells NM DPS to let things alone or someone new takes over NM DPS. We will just have to wait until things are sorted out on their end and they state their exact policy on honoring other states.
    Gary, thanks so much for your detailed reply (you do a great job) ........ but maybe it's because of my very "senior" status ... I'm still not sure if NM recognizes my state of Colorado as of today (May 9, 2012) ........ Gary or anyone????

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    The NM DPS States they do today. Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety scroll down and you will see all the states they honor in one of the paragraphs.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    The NM DPS States they do today. Reciprocity Agreements | New Mexico Department of Public Safety scroll down and you will see all the states they honor in one of the paragraphs.
    Thanks again Gary .........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Links