Defensive Carry banner

Visiting Space Needle next week

10K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  plumber802 
#1 ·
We are packing up the family and leaving for Seattle next week. We are going to be hitting most of the touristy destinations in the Puget Sound area. One of the places my kids are looking forward to the most is the Space Needle. It has been about 6 years since I have been up there and can't remember what type of security they have at the base? Does anyone know if there are metal detectors or security??

NW

#2 ·
We are packing up the family and leaving for Seattle next week. We are going to be hitting most of the touristy destinations in the Puget Sound area. One of the places my kids are looking forward to the most is the Space Needle. It has been about 6 years since I have been up there and can't remember what type of security they have at the base? Does anyone know if there are metal detectors or security??

NW

Space Needle | Visit the Needle

*Building Policies:
For the safety of all guests, weapons will not be permitted in the Space Needle. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of a ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in no admittance.

Don't know about metal detectors. But I wouldn't carry in the Space Needle and have to be asked to leave. First, it has been targeted for terrorism once before and I do not think they will take it lightly. Second, do you want to chance ruining your kids seeing the Space Needle and having to leave?
My 2 cents

#3 ·
There is a checkpoint where they search people before you go up. They also take your picture, under the guise of "souvenir photo", of which you can purchase a copy on your way out. I had to open bags and even show the prescription for the epi pens I was carrying for my kids. This was before I started CCing. I don't know if they have added metal detectors or not.

#6 ·
I haven't been back their for a while, and not since I started carrying, but I don't remember any metal detectors. That said, they could very well have updated security in the last few years. I would say scope it out, and if they have detectors, you can head back and put it in the car. A little delay, but it's not like airport security where you will look suspicious and be flagged. Wither way, it's up to you.

I would listen to the local news when you're here and make sure there aren't any more "protests" planned. I have heard some groups might be planning more later this month.

#10 ·
This is very confusing to me. Why?

I am a Seattle native. I have long ago lost count of the number of times I have been up in the Needle, as recently as a month ago. I have been to two weddings there and uncounted lunches, dinners and just trips up to the top with friends and relatives from out of town. During that entire time, I have ALWAYS been armed. There is no security check, no metal detectors and no 'complimentary' picture taken before you go up the elevator. I have only once seen anybody have a bag searched, and it was done at the check-in counter for the restaurant, mostly because the bag was huge, I think.

I've had a carry license in Washington since I was 21 and I look for the 'no-carry' signs when I go into a new place. The only ones I have seen at the Needle were when they used to have a separate bar in the restaurant. (it's gone now) NO wand searches or TSA stations either.

Did we go to the same Space Needle?

;-)

BTW Sturmruger - I hope you had a great trip! The weather was not too bad that week. Now we are back to the usual drizzle....

#12 ·
I totally agree with you! I don't live in Seattle but go there often and just recently had lunch at the needle. I carry all the time and never had an issue or was ever searched. EVER!........

PM me if you want to go shooting some time........ God it's nice today! I love seeing the snow capped mountains and watching my grass grow about an inch a day! haha

#11 ·
The only time I was at the Space Needle, I spent a week with my Aunt, Uncle and two cousins in 1968, prior to leaving for Vietnam. Back then, they didn't check for guns, things have changed.

#14 ·
The Needle is private property (I was surprised, I thought it was owned by the City), and as such, they can ban firearms on the premise, and technically they do.

I think the "bag check" is intermittent, last time we went there they did it, but other posters have been there since I have and they didn't do it. I also think it depends on where you get on the elevators.

When we were there, the "security" guard at the top of the ramp checked my SO's bag... but didn't notice the revolver in the inside pocket :-D or the XD on my hip OWB. On the other hand, he was focused on the bottle of hair spray. "I thought it was a 'big sexy mace'" he said... the brand was 'big sexy hair'.

Reactions: STEN-Lee
#15 ·
Here's an update, which I think everyone will find helpful.

As of May 2021 the Space Needle has a sign that says "weapons are prohibited" which is positioned at the "security checkpoint", between the ticket gates and where you get your photo taken. There are some type of small black towers with lights on them which you have to pass through and what appear to be metal detectors and which will make a sound when you walk through them, but I don't know what they are, and if they are some sort of scanner or metal detector they are ineffective at preventing concealed carry. I personally carried a concealed pistol through them this May and was not stopped by security. I heard a noise so I looked back, and slowed but the guard said "you're good". Now my setup conceals really well, like to the point my own family can't tell when I am carrying, even though they know what to look for. So it could be I did set it off, but the guard thought it was my belt buckle, but I don't know for sure. All I can say is, looks like just security theater, and as long as you conceal your gun well, you should be good.

#17 ·
Though it would be somewhat interesting to ride to the top and maybe have lunch there, I've never been willing to pay the cover charge for entry.

#22 ·
It's been a while since I've been to Seattle. I was there mostly in the 90's. It was pretty liberal then, but nobody was "in your face." Pike was mostly just a chill waterfront place where you could people watch and get some good food and trinkets. I hope its still like that.

I used to run laps in the old Cal Anderson park before it was renovated. The loop was 1/3 mile around a reservoir so it was great for running miles. About the worst thing I saw there in the late 90's were grungers smoking some weed in the small copse of trees south of the reservoir, just north of the Bobby Morris fields.

Last year that park was ground zero of CHAZ. Sad.

#26 ·
Noticed this was an old thread otherwise I would have said " are you nuts?"
Had to take some folks there several years ago, it was on their gotta see list. Nice view of ugly city at the top if that's your thing.
I'll never step foot in that city again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.