Oklahoma CCW Questions

Oklahoma CCW Questions

This is a discussion on Oklahoma CCW Questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey folks. I find myself moving from KY to OK this week and I've got a couple of questions about OK CCW. I've read the ...

Thread: Oklahoma CCW Questions

Oklahoma CCW Questions

Hey folks.

I find myself moving from KY to OK this week and I've got a couple of questions about OK CCW. I've read the OSBI site, but it leaves a few tidbits to be desired.

My understanding is that after I change my residency, I can immediately take the class (gonna be a sad month or two while I have no CCW after surrendering my KY license).

I've read that if you take the course with a revolver, you will not be qualified to carry a semi-auto pistol. Is this correct? If I take the course with a semi-auto, can I still carry my revolvers? The OSBI site mentions types of pistols, but doesn't really get into the detail I like. I mostly pack revolvers these days, but would not want to be limited should I want to pack a semi-auto.

Can anyone recommend a place to take the CCW course around Bartlesville, OK (about an hour north of Tulsa)? I've been to town twice, but I've yet to go looking for a new gun store and would love a good reference point.

It seems that if "posted" signs mean something in OK. Can someone elaborate on that (although, I'm sure a good CCW course will do this also)? The OSBI site isn't as clear as I'd like on this one either.

Thanks!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

If you take the class with a derringer (who does that) you can carry a derringer. If you take it with a revolver, you can carry a derringer or revolver. If you take it with a semi-auto, you can carry all three. It's in your best interest to do the class with a semi-auto no matter what your primary carry weapon will be.

As for recommendations around that area, I live in the Tulsa area now but took my class when I lived in OKC, so I don't know much up here. There are plenty of places to do it though. A range up here called 2A Shooting Center does classes I believe. Google them up.

Signs are a bit of a grey area. Some people think they have legal weight, but I don't. I'm not a lawyer, but I base my opinion on this logic: the section of OK law which specifies that business owners have the right to control the presence of weapons is the only section of the SDA that does not provide a punishment for carrying anyway. If you carry into an establishment that gets most of its business from selling alcohol, that is in violation of the SDA and a punishment is provided in the law. Same for several other things. The section on businesses says only that business owners have the right to control the presence of weapons, in the same way a movie theater can ask you not to bring outside food or drinks.

I have asked a state legislator and was told that they believe the signs have no legal weight. If you're found out (aside from the penalty for unconcealing the weapon) there's nothing they can really do except ask you to leave. If you don't, you're trespassing. Based on my research, questioning of a legislator and logic, carrying a weapon into a business with a sign is no different legally than sneaking a candy bar into a theater. Of course, there are places specifically prohibited in the law. Bars, liquor stores, schools, government offices...

Feel free to PM me any more questions, I'm pretty well-versed in the laws here in OK and I may or may not see new posts in this thread.

JMO, IINAL.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My Class instructor (LEO) had extra semi-auto's for "rent" for the class. The 1st thing he asked when class started "does everyone have a semi-automatic weapon? If not, come up and get one".

Welcome to OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhoyle View Post
    My Class instructor (LEO) had extra semi-auto's for "rent" for the class. The 1st thing he asked when class started "does everyone have a semi-automatic weapon? If not, come up and get one".

Welcome to OK.
    I loaned a semiauto to a person in my class so he wouldn't have the restrictions on his permit. If all else fails ask other members of the class if they might help you out.
    P.S. I didn't know the person I helped out from Adam. Just wanted to help a fellow shooter.

Michael

Thanks for the responses. I reckon I'll take the class with my Ruger 22/45. It's hilarious to me that taking it with a semi-auto .22lr pistol qualifies me more than a revolver in .357magnum.

Ah well, govt always requires one hoop or another.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Yeah, the class I took was in Yukon, outside of OKC. They actually told us not to bring firearms. They provided .22 semi-autos and ammo as part of the class fee.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I have in-laws in Tulsa and am able to carry there as OK honours all permits issued by any state, resident or non-resident.

Next time you're in Tulsa, be sure to check out Dong's Guns, Ammo and Reloading.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Look up green country safe shooters (on Facebook too). It's a range that holds the ccw class most weekends. They let you use their ruger mark ii/iii for the class.

US Shooting Academy in Owasso is an excellent place as well. An incredible facility.

The gun buster signs are really just a pain in the ass. If you are caught in an establishment posting these all they do is ask you to leave. If you do, no problem.

Read today that our open carry bill passed and is on the way to the govenor's desk. She has stated she will sign it. Will become law on 11-1-12.
    From a Marine sniper -- "You can run but you will just die tired"
    Semper Fi

Thanks for all the tips/help. Got busy with the move and forgot to come check this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Thanks for all the tips/help. Got busy with the move and forgot to come check this thread.
    Sammy, our open carry bill did pass which will allow open carry starting Nov. 1st, with a license. Nothing else really changed, you will just be able to open carry anywhere you could conceal.

Welcome to Oklahoma!
    My blog

Links