Drinking outside of the house/Drinking at home procedures

This is a discussion on Drinking outside of the house/Drinking at home procedures within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Concealed carry is definitely a lifestyle changer. How do you balance carrying with your social life? I'm also looking for some constructive criticism on my ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Drinking outside of the house/Drinking at home procedures

Drinking outside of the house/Drinking at home procedures

Concealed carry is definitely a lifestyle changer. How do you balance carrying with your social life? I'm also looking for some constructive criticism on my procedures.

1. I'm curious as to what others think about having that ONE beer that often times is offered by a friend or new acquaintance while carrying. I have not been offered a beer while carrying but I believe I would most likely decline unless I am staying at the location in which I am offered the beer for more than two hours. I would decline a second beer indefinitely while carrying.

2. What do you do at home while carrying? I myself will drink at home and get drunk. Before doing this I will unload all of my firearms and put them under the control of a sober inhabitant of my house (girlfriend, father, mother, sibling. (I live with my folks for college)) I feel safe due to the fact my father keeps a loaded shotgun by his bedside, wakes up at the sound of a pin drop, and has 26 years military experience. I can trust him to deal with a BG.

3. If you're going out to a bar, club, or party what do you do with your weapon? I personally leave it at home if I am going to an establishment that serves alcohol and I'm not the designated driver, and if possible I would have a DD that carries and isn't a dipstick. If I am going to a friends party which I will always have a few drinks at I leave it in the trunk if I am staying the night. I do not go to parties as the DD or if I have to leave the same night as I am petrified of driving drunk even more so while drunk.

I am only 23 years of age and I believe with age comes experience so I'm looking for advice from some of our older members, I also believe with carrying a concealed weapon comes sacrifice which I am willing to make. I would like to maintain a fun social life for a guy my age but I want to do so with utmost responsibility and regard for the law. Any and all constructive criticism and opinions on my procedures while carrying is appreciated. Sharing your procedures is also greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

1. Drink the one beer if it sounds good, otherwise politely decline.
    2. I all but stopped drinking, it's easier in general.
    3. I drink water or soda/pop.

I'm 40 and have a wife and 3 kids... On top of carrying, I don't want to ever be in a situation where I would need to drive and not be able to do so because I was drunk, not worth it AT ALL.

VIP Member
    Being a good bit older I do think differently.

1. North Carolina law prohibits any alcohol while carrying.
    2. At home I do enjoy a beer or two but do not drink enough to get drunk, out grew that long ago.
    3. If I were go to a bar or club I will take a cab, far cheaper than a DUI or killing myself or someone else.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; May 10th, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

1- Can't CC in NC if drinking. I have OC'd on the ride home after having a drink. It's another oddity in NC law.
    2- I carry at home, but don't drink to get drunk anymore. I don't drink enough to feel I'll do anything stupid.
    3- Can't carry at all in a place that sells alcohol for consumption on site in NC.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Outer_Heaven View Post
    Concealed carry is definitely a lifestyle changer. How do you balance carrying with your social life? I'm also looking for some constructive criticism on my procedures.

1. I'm curious as to what others think about having that ONE beer that often times is offered by a friend or new acquaintance while carrying. I have not been offered a beer while carrying but I believe I would most likely decline unless I am staying at the location in which I am offered the beer for more than two hours. I would decline a second beer indefinitely while carrying.
    Situation dependent. But I would be uncomfortable with a beer in my hand and gun on my hip, so *I* may decline. On top of that, on the slim chance I have to defend myself later in the day, and the question comes up "What were you doing earlier in the day?"....drinking a beer is not the answer I want to give.

2. What do you do at home while carrying? I myself will drink at home and get drunk. Before doing this I will unload all of my firearms and put them under the control of a sober inhabitant of my house (girlfriend, father, mother, sibling. (I live with my folks for college)) I feel safe due to the fact my father keeps a loaded shotgun by his bedside, wakes up at the sound of a pin drop, and has 26 years military experience. I can trust him to deal with a BG.
    Similar to above--situation dependent, risk mitigation/management. In this case, who is backing-up your dad?

3. If you're going out to a bar, club, or party what do you do with your weapon? I personally leave it at home if I am going to an establishment that serves alcohol and I'm not the designated driver, and if possible I would have a DD that carries and isn't a dipstick. If I am going to a friends party which I will always have a few drinks at I leave it in the trunk if I am staying the night. I do not go to parties as the DD or if I have to leave the same night as I am petrified of driving drunk even more so while drunk.
    Bar or club--leave it at home or don't go. Party--carry, don't drink.

I am only 23 years of age and I believe with age comes experience so I'm looking for advice from some of our older members, I also believe with carrying a concealed weapon comes sacrifice which I am willing to make. I would like to maintain a fun social life for a guy my age but I want to do so with utmost responsibility and regard for the law. Any and all constructive criticism and opinions on my procedures while carrying is appreciated. Sharing your procedures is also greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like it comes down to the following choices--do you drink or do you carry? Know that when you drink, you risk losing control and ability to defend yourself. Any alcohol-related incident is not worth the "fun" of drinking.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

In Nevada, surprisingly enough, the legal limit for carry is higher than for driving at 0.10. With that in mind I'm comfortable with one drink while I carry, but that's where I draw my line.

I don't think the authorities would say you can't have a beer. The only problem with any booze in even small amounts is in case you were involved in a shooting. Then, if its not a "clean" one, you'd be surprised how one beer can be used by a good prosecutor - or attorney in a civil suit. And they will likely ask if you'd been drinking - for me I wouldn't lie about anything so, it's then part of the record.

Be careful getting too drunk home too. Again in an incident, that might come out, neighbor or something if you were observed drunk while going out for a minute or something. Then you have doo on your shoe to begin with in a legal proceeding.

I.e, watch it.

I don't drink so it's not a problem for me.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If you are drinking in a place you have a right to be in, such as your home, and you have a castle doctrine law in your state, it wouldn't matter if you had 1 drink or 10, IF, the shoot was justified under the laws of your state.

Remember, though, your judgment will be impaired and that split second decision on whether or not there is a threat could be the difference between a happy ending and a life of misery.

In the end you must choose the path that makes you happy. Mackin the ladies all night with a drink in your hand or taking it easy, knowing you have the ability to protect yourself and those around you.

My comfort zone doesn't include alcohol anymore.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    1. Could be a problem, and will depend on your state laws as well as the skill of a prosecutor should there be a situation. Best avoided if you are going to carry in public and done in very limited quantiies if you are planning on being at a friensds house and staying for several hours (I would recommend at least 3 hours).
    2. Castle doctrine should cover you, but expect a more thorough investigation. For example, if there is an obvious break-in by an armed intruder I can't see how you wouldn't be in the clear but if it were an altercation with a buddy that turned deadly, that is a different story.
    3. If you are planning on going out drinking, don't take your weapons. Period. This really should go for your buddy too. Remember the rule(s) of stupids. A slick prosecutor could also try to make a case that whoever was carrying knew that they were going into a potentially volatile situation and make a case of it. You will also want to check the local and state laws regardng carrying in a place where alchohol is consumed.

VIP Member
    Deadguy I would be very careful of giving a blanket statement like that. I found this on another site and the answer is from Ayoob himself.

I posted this in Carry Issues and it was suggested that I ask this here.

I was drinking a margarita and I was thinking if I was impaired and someone broke into my house and I used deadly force other then my alcohol stenched breath, am I or am I not in deep dip.

The point is if I am drunk at home and use deadly force, would I be arrested?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mas Ayoob11-01-2010, 07:12
    Shark, when I checked your thread in Carry Issues a few minutes ago, there were 17 posts, and I'm sure you'll get more. As the thread develops, I expect you'll see a good representation of your potential jury pool in such a case. There will be folks who don't care what your BAC (blood alcohol content) was when you pulled the trigger, and you may soon see the sort of teetotaller who believes anyone who drinks more than they do is an out of control drunk.

I testified as an expert many years ago in a case where a man shot and killed another man in self-defense during an after-hours drinking party at an office. It was one of the rare states where the jury both determined the verdict and set the sentence: they found him guilty of Murder and sentenced him to ... probation.

The jury was agreeable to discussing this strange dichotomy with the judge and the prosecutor and the defense lawyer. What the jury said in essence was, "The prosecutor said we had to send a message that you can't just get drunk and kill people. The defense lawyer said we had to send a message that you can defend yourself any time, any place. The judge told us we had to determine what a reasonable and prudent person would do in the same situation. We figured a man who said himself he was 's--tface drunk' couldn't BE reasonable and prudent, but we also figured we would have shot the guy ourselves. So our sentence said, you can defend yourself, but our verdict sent a message, and the message was, 'Don't be gettin' s--tface drunk and killing people.' "

That was the day I stopped trying to predict jury verdicts.

Shark, you actually gave two hypotheses in your question. Hypothesis One: you've had a Margarita and had to fire in self-defense. I wouldn't worry about that much. Hypothesis Two: you're actually DRUNK and have to shoot someone in self-defense. Much bigger problem. Our guy in that case above was never measured, but we reverse-engineered it and figured he was at about 0.09 BAC, at a time when in that state 0.10 was considered "legally drunk." Today, almost everywhere, it's 0.08.

There's gonna be an issue of "how drunk is drunk." People who should wear warning T-shirts that say "Instant A-Hole, Just Add Alcohol" probably shouldn't have guns anywhere near them when they drink. The standard will always be, "What would a reasonable and prudent person have done, in the same situation, knowing what the defendant knew." FOLLOW THE LAW, KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and you SHOULD be defensible.

Feel free to link this to your thread in Carry Issues, and let me know if I can be of any help there.

Best,
    Mas (who is composing this post at home after midnight, with a Rolling Rock beer in front of him, a .45 readily at hand, and not at all worried about it.)

Now many may laugh at the fact hey he only got probation. Felony probation is still a felony you loose you right to have a gun, vote and other things we take for granted.
    goldshellback and grouse like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I don't drink and have never been much of a party-animal, so that makes it easy. If I did though, here is what I would do.

1. You will have to use your judgement in this situation, that being said, for most people one drink is not a problem. I would not have another though, just to be safe. The exception being if it is illegal in your state to have any alcohol and carry.

2. I would probably do what you do for this, especially considering you have others in your home that can cover you while you are sleeping it off. Once again, each person should make their own determination based on their local laws, how functional they are, and any other important variables.

3. Once againk, check your local laws for each of these situations and make sure you are legal first. Assuming it is legal for you to carry in these places, I would carry in all situations if I was not going to drink, if you are going to be drinking (more than one) then leave it at home.

Hope this helps, be safe.

I seldom drink much anymore...occasionally, I may have a beer with dinner.
    It seems like many of the older members here might 'remember' his/her party days, but grow out of them as other things in life become more important.
    I can have a beer with a nice dinner here in Florida...if I choose to do so...not illegal.

I would never unload all my firearms so I could drink a lot (even at home)...the problem there is NOT loaded firearms, but a loaded person.
    Don't think that I'm jumping on those here who like to 'really' indulge in the special beverages.
    If they said that a beer a day keeps the doctor away...my much younger days would have made me eligible for that 'protection' through the year 2089...

We all live in learn, but it's too bad that 'youth is wasted on the young' (per Shaw).
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 10th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    tacman605 and tclance like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Lots of "should", "could", "would" in many replies. Tells me that drinking can certainly be a problem in many ways. You are a big boy and must decide for yourself. Some states make it easier than others--ie: SC law does not allow you to CC in an establishment that serves alcohol--thus if you are out at night, CC is not a very good option---IMO it is the walk back to a parked car at night when I want my CC but coming from a restaurant makes it illegal from the getgo, when the LEO. after a shooting, asks you where you have been or smells alcohol and you are standing there with gun in holster. In your house a different situation. Castle Doctrine, civil immunity on a good shoot play in your favor. Completely drunk and shooting someone--a problem I want nothing to do with. Having a firearm is a responsibility--be responsible--you sound like you understand this basic fact and hope you follow that path. Too many on these forums make statements about drinking and firearms that are irresponsible at best and just plain crude, insulting and stupid. This is the same, IMO, as drinking and driving.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.

VIP Member
    This is coming from someone who has had a lot of experience with drinking (though not in the last 14 years).

State laws are going to vary. Not sure what TX law allows, but if I were going to be outside my home, or someplace I'm spending the night, I would not drink, PERIOD. At home, or at someone else house, where I am spending the night, I might have a few, but definitely not get drunk, if I were carrying. If there was a large group, as in a party. I definitely would not drink and carry. Anytime you get a group together, drinking, there is going to be at least 1 a-hole who wants to be Johnny BadA--. In most cases he's going to look for who he thinks is the baddest person around. If he knows you carry, guess who he's going to look for.

Remember, not only is the alcohol going to affect your thought processes, it is going to affect your reaction times, your dexterity, your vision (including depth perception).

If your going to drink, drink in moderation, at home. It will save you many hassles, even without guns involved. It will also save you lots of money, which you can use to fill up you gun safe.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I seldom drink much anymore...occasionally, I may have a beer with dinner.
    It seems like many of the older members here might 'remember' his/her party days, but grow out of them as other things in life become more important.
    I can have a beer with a nice dinner here in Florida...if I choose to do so...not illegal.

I would never unload all my firearms so I could drink a lot (even at home)...the problem there is NOT loaded firearms, but a loaded person.
    Don't think that I'm jumping on those here who like to 'really' indulge in the special beverages.
    If they said that a beer a day keeps the doctor away...my much younger days would have made me eligible for that 'protection' through the year 2089...

We all live in learn, but it's too bad that 'youth is wasted on the young' (per Shaw).
    Only 2089. You must have been a light weight drinker. I'm good until at least 2200!
    RETSUPT99, niks, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links