A quote worth posting

A quote worth posting

This is a discussion on A quote worth posting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was a thread posted here where a debate started over when to or if one should get involved in stopping a crime or helping ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By ericb327
  • 1 Post By CeltKnight
  • 2 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By hayzor
  • 7 Post By oakchas
  • 2 Post By nedrgr21
  • 1 Post By Spirit51
  • 1 Post By Caertaker
  • 2 Post By stancehold
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: A quote worth posting

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

A quote worth posting

There was a thread posted here where a debate started over when to or if one should get involved in stopping a crime or helping innocents. This quote came to mind.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmond Burke)
    lyz_grace, grouse and stancehold like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

+1! Our elected leaders should quote that every day just after the Pledge of Allegence.
    mano3 likes this.

VIP Member
    I agree.

But you have to remember, that quote was from sometime in the late 1700's.
    When the world was a less litigious place.
    Unfortunate though it may be.
    Spirit51 and rammerjammer like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmond Burke)
    +1

I also like this one.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein
    stancehold likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    There was a thread posted here where a debate started over when to or if one should get involved in stopping a crime or helping innocents. This quote came to mind.

This is someone's signature line here at DC, but I can't for the life of me think who it is right now.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Maybe that's where I've seen it before - that'll be my new signature soon as well, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Maybe that's where I've seen it before - that'll be my new signature soon as well, thanks!
    Thunder, I just thought you should know that I stole your current siggy quote as a FaceBook status a few days ago :)

I'm changing my sig line to:
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms-One in office and one in prison.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The horse has already left the barn on that one, though. The original evil was allowing our not-justice but legal system get to the point where helping others can result in losing everything you own and the next 20 yrs of your life.
    Spirit51 and rammerjammer like this.

I have two I like:

"I know you think these people are stupid animals and they are, but these animals are cunning. That makes them very dangerous. " Tony Soprano

Also:

Politicians are like diapers. Full of crap and should be changed often. Unknown (but right on target).
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

You do understand that nothing means not doing a thing. Nothing is a relative term. It doesn't always mean "guns a blazing". It can also mean dialing 911 and being a good witness, all the way to court. It can mean donating to a charity. It can also mean helping out the unfortunate. It can also mean VOTING.
    Caertaker likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I'm changing my sig line to:
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms-One in office and one in prison.
    That brings to mind an H.L. Menken quote:

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under".
    ~ H. L. Mencken

I do something everyday: I set a good example. With respect to intervention, I reserve the right to decide when to risk parking my butt in a cell for the rest of my life.
    Spirit51 likes this.

This is something I apply to myself.

James 4:17

King James Version (KJV)

17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

Of course, it is imperative to "know" what is truly right to do and be very wise in determining what to do and carrying it out.
    ws76133 and Buckj like this.

The Edmond Burke quote is nice but leaves out all the nuances that can affect someon who CCWs. You will likely never know the full story of what may be going on in your presence and you may get yourself in more troulbe than you would have ever expected. Shoot the guy beating a woman and now the woman is coming after you for shooting her baby daddy. How does that quote fit into life for you now?

Someone else posted something along the lines of "act only if what you are seeing is such an affront to humanitarian values that you have no other course of action but to take action."

Pretending to be LEO or a superhero can get you into a lot of trouble, and I will stay out of it if at all possible. My gun is to protect me and my family, not the world.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Links