Minnesota duty to assist.

This is a discussion on Minnesota duty to assist. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am working on a spreadsheet I will use for travel that has state by state most pertinent CC/OC carry laws as pertaining to KY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Minnesota duty to assist.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I am working on a spreadsheet I will use for travel that has state by state most pertinent CC/OC carry laws as pertaining to KY permit.

I came across a law in Minnesota that says you have to render aid to BGs after you shoot them in defense. Does anyone know about this law?

I am reading my way through each states cc laws. I'm halfway! Are there any other laws out there in your state that we should know about?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

He tried to kill me once, I'm not getting close enough to give him another chance. I'll call 911 to get him help, staying at a safe distance with my gun trained on him until his help arrives. That's all he gets from me.
    BkCo1, Mr B, ArkhmAsylm and 1 others like this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Rendering aid can be calling 911, it doesn't mean you have to perform CPR or mouth to mouth resuscitation. I am sure if there is any danger you would also be exempt ( think of a live electrical line) you do not have to place yourself in danger when rendering aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I would render aid by calling 911 and notifying responding medics of his lead allergy.
    First Sgt likes this.

texas has no law and I will not render aid to a person that might still be armed even after downed

MN Duty to Assist:
    A person at the scene of an emergency who knows that another person is exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm shall, to the extent that the person can do so without danger or peril to self or others, give reasonable assistance to the exposed person. Reasonable assistance may include obtaining or attempting to obtain aid from law enforcement or medical personnel. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Well, yes I did try to render him aid after he tried to kill me, I dropped a post card in the nearest mail box giving his location and the type of aid he might need.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    2011 Minnesota Statutes

609.662 SHOOTING VICTIM; DUTY TO RENDER AID. Subdivision 1. Definition. As used in this section, "reasonable assistance" means aid appropriate to the circumstances, and includes obtaining or attempting to obtain assistance from a conservation or law enforcement officer, or from medical personnel. Subd. 2. Duty to render aid. (a) A person who discharges a firearm and knows or has reason to know that the discharge has caused bodily harm to another person, shall: (1) immediately investigate the extent of the person's injuries; and (2) render immediate reasonable assistance to the injured person. (b) A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as follows: (1) if the injured person suffered death or great bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than two years or to payment of a fine of not more than $4,000, or both; (2) if the injured person suffered substantial bodily harm as a result of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than one year and one day or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both; (3) otherwise, to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both. (c) Notwithstanding section 609.035 or 609.04,a prosecution for or conviction under this subdivision is not a bar to conviction of or punishment for any other crime committed by the defendant as part of the same conduct. Subd. 3. Duty of witness. (a) A person who witnesses the discharge of a firearm and knows or has reason to know that the discharge caused bodily harm to a person shall: (1) immediately investigate the extent of the injuries; and (2) render immediate reasonable assistance to the injured person. (b) A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as follows: (1) if the defendant was a companion of the person who discharged the firearm at the time of the discharge, to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both; (2) otherwise, to imprisonment for not more than 90 days or to payment of a fine of not more than $1,000, or both. Subd. 4. Defense. It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section if the defendant proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the defendant failed to investigate or render assistance as required under this section because the defendant reasonably perceived that these actions could not be taken without a significant risk of bodily harm to the defendant or others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My interpretation of this law is that you have a duty to call for assistance from the authorities (e.g. via 911). The investigate the extent of their injuries is a bit odd and is very subject to "appropriate to the circumstances". I don't see how there could be any reasonable objection to you staying out of reach of and preventing physical contact with someone who attacked you in a manner that warranted a deadly response. There is also the issue of contact with and exposure to blood and other bodily fluids, which you are probably lacking either or both the required equipment and training to properly deal with.

Since I don't own a cellphone, I'd have to either leave the scene to walk and look for a payphone (I assume they still have them somewhere), get a witness with a cellphone to call 911 or wait for a cop to randomly drive by.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    From the way it is written, it sounds to me as though it was initially designed for AD/ND as in hunting accidents etc. If you accidentally shoot someone, you are responsible to render aid.

Also the defense clause at the end makes it clear that they understand there may still be danger if you shot someone trying to hurt you. Call 911 and I think you will be ok.
    Walk softly ...

Ace, get a cell phone. It should be part of your every day carry. If you get into an incident you want to be the first to call it in. Search other post for more info on this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Even just buy a burner, or get an old deactivated phone that can still call 911. I would not want to be the guy who defends himself and then goes to jail because he didn't call the police to report it, or was seen "fleeing the scene" when you were just going to try to find a phone.
    Walk softly ...

I wonder how often criminals are charged under 609.662 SHOOTING VICTIM; DUTY TO RENDER AID in addition to their actual crime of assault or murder?
    rmoberly and CommonCents like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    My extent of giving aid would be a call to 911. If they don't feel that is sufficient, they can file charges.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links