Carrying in Virginia and N.C.

This is a discussion on Carrying in Virginia and N.C. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I read all the laws regarding what and where I can carry. So, please don't quote the laws. What I am after is the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carrying in Virginia and N.C.

Carrying in Virginia and N.C.

First, I read all the laws regarding what and where I can carry. So, please don't quote the laws.
    What I am after is the local LEO attitude toward concealed carry, especially one who is from out of their state. ( yes, I have a Florida resident permit)

The areas which I will primarily be in are Suffolk, Va and Williamston, N.C. I know in NC I can open carry, but choose to carry concealed.

2. Remove Ads

I live not far from Williamston. The police are fine as long as you are not stupid. They will not bother you. It just sucks that we cannot go to Applebees or some place like that with a concealed weapon. I have traveled in the Hamton Roads area and they too are fine. It is all up to you and how you behave. Enjoy your visit!

Since you feel you know the laws here and in VA you should have no problem as long as you follow them.

You'll know how well you studied the laws within the first minute of a stop here.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Also Virginia is an open carry state so you don't have to worry if your weapon happens to become uncovered. Welcome to Virginia, enjoy yourself here.

NC is must inform and I have never had a LEO that had an issue with me informing them I was carrying. Gotten a couple odd looks from younger cops, some funny comments from the seasoned cops, and occasionally asked where I'm carrying. The vast majority of NC is gun friendly.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I never had a problem in either State.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

For the most part most places that you will go to that might not be gun friendly is big metro cities in NC. Such as Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham, Winston-Salem, and Greensboro. Those cities have some crime cesspool areas so they are a might more defensive and wary of all people because of that. Nature of the beast.....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I moved to Florida 5 months ago and have my FL permit, lived in Virginia the last 14 years and have my VA permit, and am originally from NC and still visit our families there often (there now actually) but don't have an NC permit. I OC'd a lot in Virginia (New River Valley area) and never had any issues with it. I spoke with Police officers while OC and they never gave it any thought. NC you do not see much OC and people look at you strangely when you do. I never had a problem, but I didn't do it much either. Florida is concealed only. As for concealed carry in all of those states, just be sure to know your do's and don'ts in each as they are all different. It wouldn't hurt to print out the handgunlaw.us.org pages from all of the states just in case you run into an LEO that is not as familiar with the laws. I never OC anymore and CC is smooth as silk. VA is not a must inform state but NC is. My practice is to inform regardless of requirement....I don't want ant surprises or misunderstandings, so I consider it a professional courtesy to let them know I have a CC permit and weapon, where it is, and we can proceed in whatever manner they are comfortable.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If I am carrying concealed, LE usually doesnt know you have to tell them you are carrying if stopped here in NC.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I have oc and cc in both states with no problem. Mind your manners and obey the laws and you will do fine. Have a great trip. I miss the sea food.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Va. is pretty simple. Don't cause no trouble, won't get no trouble.
    anj4657, NRAInstrctor and BugDude like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    VA is a gun friendly state for the most part. A few area's in the northern part of the state aren't. VA is a OC state, so incidental exposure/ printing is not a problem. Restaurant carry is allowed, anyplace in the restaurant/bar area, as long as your not drinking. However you can drink if your OC'ing. As others have said, no duty to inform in VA, however I personally do. State has preemption, local communities can not have ordinances more restrictive than the state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks all.
    I have a notebook where I printed the laws of each of the states which I MAY visit in the next few years, and its kept in my computer bag, with me in the vehicle.
    This preludes arguments.

I really wish they would get the nationwide carry bill passed, and them make the laws/rules constant in all the states.
    However, I think my chances of winning the lotery are greater....

VA is a good state to carry, but it is a duty to retreat state so if you have to use it you will more than likely be charged and put in jail until you are proven innocent. This is coming from personal experience.

I would suggest informing officers that you are licensed and carrying, they tend to take kindly to that from my experiences.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Outer_Heaven where did you hear that VA is a duty to retreat state? There is no duty to retreat here. If you are some place where you have a legal right to be and need to, you are allowed to defend yourself where ever you are.
    DC and Sher Khan like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links