Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger?

This is a discussion on Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pull the trigger to release spring tension prior to storage, not as a means of making sure it is empty. I am already sure....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger?

VIP Member
    I pull the trigger to release spring tension prior to storage, not as a means of making sure it is empty. I am already sure.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Every time I pick up a gun,I check it by dropping the mag,visually checking the chamber,slide down. To show clear at an IDPA match,it is standard procedure to drop the mag,let the s.o. check the chamber,slide down,hammer down,holster. I'm still a little old school about dry firing my guns.Not really knowing if it's damaging or not.

I never pull the trigger unless I'm in the act of shooting, or dry fire practice.

There is no reason to.

A press/chamber check is sufficient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Cowbilly32 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

at the range, yes.... at home, no...

As a check, no. For field stripping/dry practice, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I don't pull the trigger as an empty check either, but use the method described by the OP. The only time I deliberately pull the trigger on the empty gun is when field stripping my Glocks, which require this process to remove the slide.
    Same here. I only pull the trigger on an empty gun when I intend to disassemble. One reason I've stayed away from IDPA & IPSC is this practice. I have seen NDs at every event I've been to because of this.

IMHO; it is a pointless & potentially dangerous practice. Clear your firearm the way it supposed to be done; visually & physically check the chamber to be certain it is empty; then let it be. There is no practical reason to pull the trigger on an empty firearm unless it's to disassemble for cleaning or repair. (Even dry fire practice can be done with a snap cap. So, there's no need to practice it on an empty chamber.)

-
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    1. Drop Mag
    2. Eject chambered round
    3. Lock slide back
    4. Visual and physical inspection of chamber to make sure empty
    5. Release slide and pull trigger to decock
    6. Carry on with whatever I was unloading the firearm for

(All done while pointing in a safe direction)
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Same here. I only pull the trigger on an empty gun when I intend to disassemble. One reason I've stayed away from IDPA & IPSC is this practice. I have seen NDs at every event I've been to because of this.

IMHO; it is a pointless & potentially dangerous practice. Clear your firearm the way it supposed to be done; visually & physically check the chamber to be certain it is empty; then let it be. There is no practical reason to pull the trigger on an empty firearm unless it's to disassemble for cleaning or repair. (Even dry fire practice can be done with a snap cap. So, there's no need to practice it on an empty chamber.)

-
    It doesn't matter to me if one pulls the trigger or not. But I don't understand your logic. If they have ND's at IDPA and IPSC events then they did not clear the gun to begin with. If you clear your gun properly then how can their be an AD/ND by pulling the trigger? I guess what I am saying is under your logic, if someone did not clear the weapon properly then they are walking around with a loaded weapon with a round in the chamber anyway. Sooner or later THAT is an accident waiting to happen. Now, I am assuming for those that use it as a final check that they at least have the muzzle facing in a safe direction.

I pull the trigger after clearing but not as a check. Call it habit or the original way I was taught.

Either way, one should always follow the safety rules.
    BaconHunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If you have a glass of water on the table in front of you and you pick the glass up and drink the whole glass of water...it is not necessary to turn the glass upside down just to be absolutely certain that the glass is empty.
    Pkupmn98, M., BenGoodLuck and 2 others like this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So, what is the purpose of pulling the trigger? I was thinking that a spring is a spring, and just like the debate about keeping your mags loaded, it is not the long term compression of the spring that wears it out or weakens it, but the cyclical use reaching the fatigue lifetime.

I understand that it might "feel" like you should drop the hammer or release the striker before storing, but does it really make a difference?
    Walk softly ...

If I'm doing anything that requires an unloaded weapon (gun) I follow Clint's rule at Thunder Ranch. Unload the gun in another room, mag out and chamber clear. Leave room. Now proceed to what you a going to do with the unloaded weapon. Never pull the trigger otherwise as a loaded or unloaded check that's just NUTS.
    stancehold likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Only when field stripping.

Drop Mag

Rack Slide To Eject Round

Visually Inspect

Rack Slide Multiple Times Insures The Mag was Removed

Lock Slide

Visually Inspect

Takedown Lever

Release Slide

Pull Trigger (M&P) To Remove Slide

I've noticed on Hickok45's videos he also does the multiple racks with the slide for safety.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

I pull the trigger in two situations:

1 --- I am actually firing the weapon, whether at the range with live ammo or dry-firing or god forbid, in a self-defense scenario. I do not dry fire in my living room, bedroom, car, etc. Recipe for disaster IMO.
    2 --- I am disassembling the weapon for cleaning, and it's required for breaking down the weapon. My XD40 manual of arms requires that I pull the trigger to release the slide, but my Shield does not.

That's it. If you are REALLY concerned about it being empty, get a bore light. You can drop into the muzzle end of the weapon, and observe whether the light reaches the EMPTY chamber or not.
    Cowbilly32 likes this.

Nope....

M.
    I do pull it, but not as a "Check."

Typically I'd be getting ready to remove the slide to clean it. This is a necessary step.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links