Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger?

This is a discussion on Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering, how many do a an "unloaded check" of their semi-autos with a final one of pointing the weapon in a safe direction and ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger?

Do You Do A Final "Unloaded' Check by Pulling the Trigger?

Just wondering, how many do a an "unloaded check" of their semi-autos with a final one of pointing the weapon in a safe direction and pulling the trigger, the ultimate test of whether a gun is empty.

I don't but thought maybe I should start the practice. Now I check visually after I drop the mag and eject the chambered round, and stick my pinkie into the barrel opening as a second check. And that's it.

How about you?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by walleye; May 11th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    New one on me, I only pull the trigger to drop the hammer on an EMPTY chamber, as verified before dropping the hammer and storing the weapon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't do it to verify the gun is unloaded via "unload check".

I do however consider it as releasing the pin, thus to add an extra safety measure, the slide has to be racked again when intending to load and shoot. Maybe it's just semantics or a difference in intention.
    mano3, Bubbiesdad and AZJD1968 like this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    After unloading, mag and chamber, I do pull the trigger or decock to lower the hammer not as a final check to see if it is loaded or not, it would be kind of late in the game at that point.

I have witnessed several military members have ND at the clearing barrels after forgetting to drop the mag, they pull back the slide ejecting the chambered round with the official last step being to pull the trigger to lower the hammer. Thankfully they were at the clearing barrel at the time.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I just rack the slide, visually check the chamber, and hit the decocker on all of mine, except the 1911. With it, I'll pull the trigger to release the hammer.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    In the process of unloading, the trigger doesn't get pulled unless I am already certain the gun is empty. Thst is, I have already performed, both, a visual and physical chamber and magwell check.
    tcox4freedom and Hoganbeg like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

You could always try this proven method..........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I don't pull the trigger as an empty check either, but use the method described by the OP. The only time I deliberately pull the trigger on the empty gun is when field stripping my Glocks, which require this process to remove the slide.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I unload every time I pull from holster. I always lock the slide open when I hand the gun to someone else. Even if I see someone unload a firearm, I check it again when the hand it to me. Before I leave the house or put on a holstered pistol I pull the slide to make sure a round is in the chamber. Even if I know the firearm is empty, it is pointed in a safe direction when I dry fire.

Without question, every time!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Nope....after I unload, I decock (SIG P229).

IMO, pulling the trigger to "check" if it is unloaded could be an expensive lesson learned.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

How does one "decock" an SR9c? The only way I can think of is to pull the trigger after removing the mag and emptying it, reinsert empty mag, pull the slide back a bit and visual and feel that chamber is empty, release slide and pull the trigger.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

No, never as a 'check'. If I'm showing someone something, and confirming that the gun is empty, I'll do it. i.e., visual check, finger check, "click", and then show them what I was going to show them. So, it's for the benefit of others.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

I'm not sure if this relates to your question but in IDPA and USPSA matches part of the exercise when you are done with the course of fire is that you release the mag, rack the slide to eject the round and show the SO the chamber is empty, hammer down (pull trigger, not decock) and finally holster firearm.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I always thought it "relaxed" the trigger mechanism and is mandatory if you want to get slide off and on the firearm. Certainly cannot hurt overall safety as long as you release trigger away from anything (duh). All plusses no minusses as far as I understand.

Administrator
    If you have a glass of water on the table in front of you and you pick the glass up and drink the whole glass of water...it is not necessary to turn the glass upside down just to be absolutely certain that the glass is empty.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links