Who Carries a 4" 686 as CCW? How & What holster?

This is a discussion on Who Carries a 4" 686 as CCW? How & What holster? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, Well I want to give my 4" 686 a shot in my CCW rotation and just wondering for those of you that carry ...

Thread: Who Carries a 4" 686 as CCW? How & What holster?

Question Who Carries a 4" 686 as CCW? How & What holster?

Hi guys,

Well I want to give my 4" 686 a shot in my CCW rotation and just wondering for those of you that carry one (or a GP100), how do you do it? OWB, IWB? Which holster would you recommend with a budget of $65?

I'm in AZ so going OWB with a unbuttoned and untucked cover shirt is how I usually carry and conceal my G17 and G30...

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have a K frame 4" model 15 that I carry in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. I realize the K frame is slightly smaller than a L frame, but not by much. I would call Rocky and see what he can do for you. I use the BOP in IWB mode most of the time as the gun holds closer to the body that way, but it can go both ways.
    Last edited by ksholder; May 12th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I also occasionally carry a 4” Model 15 but in an old Safariland Model 19 shoulder holster, it is an upside down holster like the one used by Steve McQueen in the movie “Bullit”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I carry around a 5" N frame revolver. I also use an OWB holster with a cover shirt. I bought my holster for somewhere around that amount from Simply Rugged. It's nothing fancy, but it is rugged. The name of the company is very apt.

You can choose to get much fancier should you want to, but that raises the price of course.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have carried a 4" 686 as well as a 4" Colt Python in the past. I used the same holster for both a Bianchi model 7 or 8 pancake style. I had no problem concealing or drawing when needed. It was also comfortable to carry as well.

I used to carry a 4" Mod 66 in a Safariland pancake. Not sure if you can find one for that price, but you can find something similar I bet (or even better in the bargain bin of your local gunshop). You have to use a stiff belt to make that work, but with a light jacket it was great for CC. I also used a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB clip-on fabric holster. No one-handed reholster for sure, and retention was questionable, but it hid really well under a sweatshirt or untucked buttondown/polo (and I'm not a big guy).

One of stupidest things I ever did - and I've done a lot of stupid things - was pass up on the chance to keep that revolver instead of turning it back in. It would've cost me a whole $125.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailWolf View Post
    Hi guys,

Well I want to give my 4" 686 a shot in my CCW rotation and just wondering for those of you that carry one (or a GP100), how do you do it? OWB, IWB? Which holster would you recommend with a budget of $65?

I'm in AZ so going OWB with a unbuttoned and untucked cover shirt is how I usually carry and conceal my G17 and G30...

Thanks
    I sometimes carry a 4" model 19... Usually mexican

I often carry my 4" GP100 in a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake, even ocasionally carry my 5" 629 in a custom cross draw holster.

I carry a four inch 681 OWB in a Bianchi three slot.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links