Auto accident while carrying

This is a discussion on Auto accident while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sure this has been covered just a bit interesting. 7am this morning. I was hit the the rear at a traffic light. It knocked me ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Realleycat
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Auto accident while carrying

Auto accident while carrying

Sure this has been covered just a bit interesting. 7am this morning. I was hit the the rear at a traffic light. It knocked me into the intersection pretty good.
    Though I was not really hurt I was a bit dazed and had a slight nose bleed.
    When the officers arrived I handed the drivers lic CC Permit and insurance card to him. In a short bit he returned my CC permit to me with out a word.
    That was reassuring in a town were the police Chief had made it clear he would take any firearm he got his hands on.
    We are not required to inform unless ask in Wisconsin but I was still a bit foggy and just wanted to avoid any issues.
    stancehold and The Old Anglo like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    No need for uncomfortable surprises. Glad you made it through the accident ok, & that your LEO interaction was smooth.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Sure this has been covered just a bit interesting. 7am this morning. I was hit the the rear at a traffic light. It knocked me into the intersection pretty good.
    When the officers arrived I handed the drivers lic CC Permit and insurance card to him. In a short bit he returned my CC permit to me with out a word.
    That was reassuring in a town were the police Chief had made it clear he would take any firearm he got his hands on.
    We are not required to inform unless ask in Wisconsin but I was still a bit foggy and just wanted to avoid any issues.
    How in the world could he confiscate a firearm without cause?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    How in the world could he confiscate a firearm without cause?
    They have little worm holes gray areas in the law that allow it and have done it. Once they have it getting it back is rough.
    This is Wisconsin not FLA.

VIP Member
    They have little worm holes gray areas in the law that allow it and have done it. Once they have it getting it back is rough.
    This is Wisconsin not FLA.
    A few lawsuits will loosen him up a bit, especially if he is named in the suit as well as the city , and has to pay out of his own pocket and not the city budget.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think you were very wise to do it. If you didn't and it was spotted later, the cops' "red light" would go on. At best, they would have a grudge against you very likely for upsetting them - when you could have told them initially. Those are just human feelings.

I too don't have to tell, but when stopped for a traffic check once (I was told to go on my way, no charge against me), that was the first words out of my mouth, that i was carrying with a legal permit. Guess what, the LEO never asked to see the permit or the gun! When I asked at the end of the traffic check if he finally wanted to see the permit, he just said "No, have a good day".

Nice feeling like you said.
    Last edited by walleye; May 13th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.

Getting back to the original question, I was hit in the back a couple of years ago. Before the LEO arrived, I quietly slipped the firearm into the centerconsole box, and sat there next to it.
    Once there, he did not ask, I did not tell.
    If its in a closed compartment in Florida, it is NOT a concealed weapon, and you don't need a permit.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Glad you're OK. Over the next few days pay attention to anything that hurts more than usual. The 2nd to last accident I was in (~25 mpg T-bone): I felt fine the day of the accident, then the next morning I was in the worst pain I've been in, it felt like I was getting stabbed in the back (back spasms), and it continued for about 3 months straight, then got slightly better in another 3 months. Even low-speed accidents can cause serious problems, so keep an eye on it tomorrow ;). Glad the cop didn't give you any hassle about it.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I mean mph not mpg -.-. Wouldn't let me edit.

Make sure you don't sign off of any document - don't accept money now for insurance in return for you "closing" their responsibility. Make sure when you're hurt you have a LAWYER look at it. Neck, back injuries are weird, don't want to scare you but they can manifest later as well as soon. A rear-ender is always the fault of the guy behind, so - he hit you, hurt you - get protection from someone who knows - a GOOD attorney, check him out, get recommendations, you don't want an ambulance-chaser - just to take a look. And GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW if you haven't, this for medical and legal reasons.

Smitty, glad to hear you are OK. I take it you were not on your bike.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links