Something I'm learning about weekend vacation CCW.

This is a discussion on Something I'm learning about weekend vacation CCW. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm on a weekend trip with the family, and I brought along a s&w 442 and my NAA black widow. I didn't plan out ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rock and Glock

Thread: Something I'm learning about weekend vacation CCW.

So I'm on a weekend trip with the family, and I brought along a s&w 442 and my NAA black widow. I didn't plan out my carry pieces too much. I figured the tiny Black Widow might be handy at some point. What I didn't think about was the fact that there is nowhere to secure an unused gun. Car in hotel parking lot... Nope. Hotel room... Nope. So I've been going 442 at 4 o'clock (n82 tactical IWB), and Black widow right front pocket (remora). Not a big deal but next time I'll stick to just one gun.

Glad you learned and have it memorized. You might consider a Center-of-Mass Safe for those "quick" lock-me-up situations too. C-O-M's are inexpensive, small, and handy as well as secure from prying eyes and the theft of opportunity.
    GreyGhost and JDE101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Glad you learned and have it memorized. You might consider a Center-of-Mass Safe for those "quick" lock-me-up situations too. C-O-M's are inexpensive, small, and handy as well as secure from prying eyes and the theft of opportunity.
    These are great. And don't just use it for guns. You can secure cash, wallets etc while going to the pool!
    Question Everything!

+1 for the small lockable metal containers. Have one for the car and one for wherever else I may need it. Very handy.

I have a Safe in my car just for those situations. When I went to Florida for a month I took Four guns Two stay on me and Two stay in the Safe.

Whats wrong with carrying 2 guns?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Whats wrong with carrying 2 guns?
    I know... That NAA Black Widow has got to be huge. I wouldn't even know it was in my pocket, (except for those rather large grips).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I totally understand, I travel for work and live in motels and its very difficult when I go somewhere that doesnt allow guns.
    Many of the projects that we do are on bases or universities.... I feel your pain!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Nothing wrong with two guns. I'm just a one gun kind of guy. I hate carrying/sitting on anything in back pocket (except stream light in left rear and 3 inch buck in right), so the biggest hassle is jamming keys, iPhone, and wallet in my left front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    Hotel room... Nope.
    Why not? I don't understand. A hotel room is exactly where I want my gun when I also am in the room.

Hotel shooting story running here on DC.

Good - Motel guest shoots, kills robbery suspect (Bonus Video)
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Why not? I don't understand. A hotel room is exactly where I want my gun when I also am in the room.
    X2

-----------------------------------------
    Sleep, Eat, Train, Repeat

I guess to clarify, I meant leaving the 2nd gun in hotel when I'm out and about.

Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    I guess to clarify, I meant leaving the 2nd gun in hotel when I'm out and about.
    Sorry, understood. I guess either carry 2, or only take 1 for the trip. No matter how well secured, I wouldn't store 1 in the car for the night at a motel parking lot, or leave 1 in a motel room unattended, but I would certainly be sure to have my EDC with / on me while at the hotel.

For shorter periods while out & about as you described, my vote is to secure in the vehicle, & keep both with you while in the room for the night.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

I always travel with 2 guns. I just drove 600+ miles last week to stay with family and returned today. I break the trip into 4.5 hours one evening, stay at a hotel, and 4.5 hours the next morning. I've done the straight non-stop a couple times and it just isn't worth it. When I travel, I always take 2 guns. XD40sc and 442. In the car, I have my XD IWB 3:30 position and 442 (in pocket holster) in a cup holder with immediate access. When I get out, the 442 goes in my left pocket. Two mags in a pocket holster in my left rear pocket and two speed loaders for the 442 in my right pocket. I figure one for each hand, alternate access, back up, secondary, whatever you want to call it. When I get where I'm going, I use either a cable lock or the large pad lock that came with my SP101 and secure the gun I'm not carrying. If I'm in my truck, I have a fairly large safe mounted under my seat. I always travel with 2 guns...this last trip I stoped at a motel late at night and parked just outside the front door to check-in. My wife is not anti, but just a non-gun person. No interest. When I got ready to get out I offered her my holstered 442 to hold for me while I was just inside the door and she did not hesitate to "hold it for me" under the sweater in her lap while her and the kids were in the car. I was quite proud!!! I was 25 feet away and in full view of the van, but still.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links