Atlanta ccw laws question

Atlanta ccw laws question

This is a discussion on Atlanta ccw laws question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be visiting Atlanta soon, and I was wondering if Atlanta has any restrictive gun laws on top of georgia's laws (like chicago vs IL), ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgilbert

Thread: Atlanta ccw laws question

Talking Atlanta ccw laws question

I'll be visiting Atlanta soon, and I was wondering if Atlanta has any restrictive gun laws on top of georgia's laws (like chicago vs IL), or if there are any Atlanta or GA ccw law quirks I should know about. I've checked handgunlaws.us (great site), but I figured I might also use this great resource. Thanks.

Everything is pretty accurate there on handgunlaws.us. If you've looked it over pretty good, you should be good to go as long as you follow those guidelines. No quirky laws in GA.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

"No Guns Allowed" signage carries no legal weight in GA. You may see some of those at restaurants. CC and nobody knows.

just left there. no problems.

steve

Typically the south is very pro gun and hence our laws are pretty liberal regarding carry. Atlanta has no "gotcha's" that you need to be aware of. Common sense rules apply, enjoy your stay and remember to find a good barbecue place. And stay off the MARTA

Be aware, however, that some of the popular tourist destinations in Atlanta have metal detectors (such as the Coca Cola museum).
    Concealed means concealed, even in conversation.

Like Georro said, a lot of the ATL attractions have metal detectors and will search your bags (even if you're just going to the gift shop!), but other than that I don't know of any city- or state-wide laws that are out of the ordinary. I've carried in the city to go to shopping and to restaurants and have never had a problem.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Georro View Post
    Be aware, however, that some of the popular tourist destinations in Atlanta have metal detectors (such as the Coca Cola museum).
    Add the Georgia Aquarium.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by KSP View Post
    I'll be visiting Atlanta soon, and I was wondering if Atlanta has any restrictive gun laws on top of georgia's laws (like chicago vs IL), or if there are any Atlanta or GA ccw law quirks I should know about. I've checked handgunlaws.us (great site), but I figured I might also use this great resource. Thanks.
    The state of Georgia has full preemption when it comes to firearms laws, so Atlanta (or any other city or county in the state) isn't allowed to make up their own rules.

Check the following link for Georgia's carry laws and you can go to the forum there for any questions you have. It by far the best place for information on our firearm laws.
    Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

Turner Field (Braves), Georgia Aquarium, and Stone Mountain won't allow you to have weapons. Same with other major attractions like Six Flags and World of Coke. Not sure where you're staying, but there's a delicious rib place called Fat Matt's Rib Shack, certainly worth looking into... area isn't horrible but the food is great, and they almost always have live music.

Definitely bring a weapon, however, and if you have someone else with a ccw permit, have them carry as well. I've been attending a class at Kennesaw State this week with agents from most state and Federal agencies worth making an acronym for, and most highlighted the fact that violence and drug trafficking numbers are way up in the state.

I just started watching "The Walking Dead", and while I don't see a zombie apocalypse ever happening, there is a great quote in the show...
    "I'm not just going to walk around Atlanta with nothing but my own good intentions"
    lyz_grace likes this.

HKR
    Stone Mountain is fine for carry and they cannot keep you from carrying there. They just thought they could for a while. Links to proof below.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Search Results Stone Mountain

People do carry at Turner Field and the Aquarium, but you have to conceal really well and hope that the guys at the stadium aren't paying attention or that it's one of the days they aren't wanding at the Aquarium.
    I've personally carried at the Aquarium, the year after it first opened. They spent more time on my kid than they did on me.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Stone Mountain is fine for carry and they cannot keep you from carrying there. They just thought they could for a while. Links to proof below.

Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Search Results Stone Mountain
    I stand corrected, which is great since I'm headed over there to see the laser show with my girlfriend tomorrow. Thanks

HKR
    Happy to be of help.

Sponsored Links