Get in the habit.

This is a discussion on Get in the habit. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something that I see on a regular basis in the forum are people asking for legal advice and questions about restricted CC places, use of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Get in the habit.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Get in the habit.

Something that I see on a regular basis in the forum are people asking for legal advice and questions about restricted CC places, use of force laws E.T.C.

I think we should start encouraging people new to CC and OC to "Get In The Habit" of doing their own research before asking for help from second hand Information. I don't mind helping if I can but when it comes to the laws of your state; we should already know or know where to find the info we need.

If for some reason information is unattainable ask away. However, if its information as a CC or OC you should already know. Do it yourself.

I respect the knowledge and wisdom base of forum but I know I want to read it with my own eyes.

Just my opinion.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think in many cases it is that the new person has no idea where to find the information, so they ask the question in hopes of finding an answer. On most every post, they are pointed to where they can find the information, IE. Handgun laws, or OC.com. Along with this they are given opinions as to what others interpretations of the laws are. It is their responsibility to take the resource given and follow through on it.
    msgt/ret, BillK and DontTreadOnI like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

it wouldn't be a talk forum if no one can talk about things... it would be the DC files... some times in the process of talking things out interesting facts or subjects come up

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think in many cases it is that the new person has no idea where to find the information, so they ask the question in hopes of finding an answer. On most every post, they are pointed to where they can find the information, IE. Handgun laws, or OC.com. Along with this they are given opinions as to what others interpretations of the laws are. It is their responsibility to take the resource given and follow through on it.
    True, I just find it a little scary that people have cc permits and don't know the basics.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

I agree.

If we tell every "new guy" to go look and check for themselves, that may introduce a chilling element into the current open-ness of these talk forums. While it is repetitive to provide useful links and to encourage folks to get properly educated, it does do some immediate good. We know that the links will be productive for those people and that their base of knowledge will be upgraded right away.

I personally believe that those of us in the gun community have an obligation to reduce ignorance and enhance knowledge whenever and wherever it is needed. Therefore, I will not be a person who says to others seeking more knowledge, "Go find it yourself."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I don't really agree with this. I believe this forum is made to help and discuss questions. I would trust any answers given on this forum much more than something like yahoo answers. The internet is full of false information, the DOJ is typically not very helpful and can be very rude, District attorneys are not allowed to give "legal advice", most police departments do not know many answers and don't like to be bothered with any questions. This forum normally appears on the top of google search for any conceal carry related questions and helps many people out, by not being willing to answer simple questions these forums will be less popular and will not provide conceal carry holders with the correct information. We're here to help :)

It's something a little googlefu will take care of.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    True, I just find it a little scary that people have cc permits and don't know the basics.
    I agree, maybe we should restrict ownership of firearms to only those people who already know the laws..... Oops! Aren't more restrictions and onerous burdens among the things we are all committed to fight against?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Something that I see on a regular basis in the forum are people asking for legal advice and questions about restricted CC places, use of force laws E.T.C.

I think we should start encouraging people new to CC and OC to "Get In The Habit" of doing their own research before asking for help from second hand Information. I don't mind helping if I can but when it comes to the laws of your state; we should already know or know where to find the info we need.

If for some reason information is unattainable ask away. However, if its information as a CC or OC you should already know. Do it yourself.

I respect the knowledge and wisdom base of forum but I know I want to read it with my own eyes.

Just my opinion.
    Doesn't a newbie coming to the forums to ask experienced people first hand accounts count as doing the research? The information age has changed and not everyone has to go down to the courthouse to read a 1000 page book documenting all of our laws. Some have referenced utilizing a search engine will help instead of going to a forum. What happens when a forum (i.e. this one) is the first 5 entries on the search results? Not everyone is internet savvy. I changed search strings a few times and in each and everyone..either this site or usacarry came up as a result in the first 3 spots. As such, once on this & others sites, the information looks like it's good/accurate, people generally won't go back to the search engine to re-search. Especially when the forums are so good about linking to reliable sources (handgunlaw.us, lexis nexis for state law, etc).

Additionally...we read/see reports across the country about law enforcement personnel not being accurate in the law they uphold (it happens). We go ask one of the uninformed b/c they're in uniform, next thing you know...your research has been tainted by misinformation. This can be true for ANY avenue of research. A forum is another means of being informed....and honestly....I've learned more on here than I have asking the 3 lawyers in my band or reading the actual code. I didn't know about handgunlaw.us or georgiacarry.org until I came to this site.

Granted, everyone should due their absolute best to know every nook & cranny of every law involved around their choice to protect themselves, but don't discredit a forum/internet resource as not valuable as sites like this, opencarry.org, etc all have a very strong informational base in this modern informational age. This place & oc > wikipedia any day of the week.
    testure likes this.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

If everyone on this forum had adifferent idea about what new people should and shouldn't be allowed to ask,you might as well just shut it down. Clicks suck.

Could one not post a question on a forum and be researching it using other methods? I know when I'm reading any kind of law (gun related or not) I try to find as many sources as possible saying the same thing and I like to see if others are interpreting it as I do.

All good points. If they're savy enough to post here they're savy enough to type "Kentucky concealed carry laws" in Google. Lists of restricted places is something we should know or know how to find.

Personally I like to say:
    "I am no lawyer but I would... Rather than taking the advice of a bunch of folks on an internet forum I would schedule a consultation with a lawyer so you can establish a relationship with the person that may have to represent you in court."
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    The search function can be very helpful in that regard.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

mkh
    I really don't have a problem with the questions.

I am appalled and concerned about the lack of knowledge of some newbies though. Its as if they got their permits with no thought at all as to the legal aspects of it. I applied for my Florida permit on 12/31/2008 and it took 92 days and arrive on 4/1/2009. During that time I read the booklet that came with my application packet numerous times. It contained all the statutes covering concealed carry. I read all of it at leat once a week and the highlighted section daily. I still go ack and red the highlights from time to time. But I guess that is just my way of doing things and I can't expect others to do it my way.

But I think for something this important I would rather read the statutes or talk to lawyer than trust some some 13 year old wannabe sitting in his bedroom pretending to be something's he isn't on a gun forum. We have some good people here but not everybody knows as much as they think they do.
    ericb327 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links