The Natural

This is a discussion on The Natural within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Natural The natural, what does that have to do with guns? Well lets look at it from another point of view. The professional, you ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 2 Post By MadMac
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru

Thread: The Natural

The Natural

The Natural

The natural, what does that have to do with guns? Well lets look at it from another point of view. The professional, you fill in the blank.

I'm going to use a pro football player, someone like Tom Brady. He fit right into a team and has won 3 titles. He has trained and practiced most of his life, but so have other QBs, what makes Brady so good. He is a natural. He has the god given ability to be the best at his Craft. Others with as much training and practice do not even come close. If what he does is so easy, then we would have multiple QBs with multiple titles. We don't. Hell, even Brett Farve only has one ring.

My question to you is this. Are you a natural? or are you the regular guy? If you are a natural at pistol craft, it will come easy to you, your fundamentals will be effortless, your draw stroke will be balanced and on point. Sight alignment and sight picture are easy to obtain. Trigger pull, nothing to it. Speed and accuracy are an easy balance as you push your weapon out and fire.

If you are a regular Joe, your fundamentals will be hard, so hard you will continue to by different weapons to find one you think will work. Your draw stroke will be choppy and flawed. At best your sight picture and alignment will allow for moments of good accuracy. Trigger pull will be hard and maddening, you will attempt to figure it out by again, buying another gun. Speed and accuracy hasn't even dawned on you yet, because of the other issues you are having with your weapon.

That being said we all know both types of people. The ones that are so good, you could puke, and others so bad, again, puke. Does the regular guy have a chance? Yes, he does, but he has to work on it. He will need advise and instruction from a Pro. The regular guy, with hard and hard training can become almost like the natural. My point is this, we all need instruction, no matter how good we are, or, should I say how good WE THINK we are. If you are having trouble ask, do not allow pride to get in your way. Face it head on and over come it, get out of
    your comfort zone and move past what is blocking you from being great. Trust me It will come, you will just have to work harder at it. As for all you naturals, thanks for the inspiration to be better

As a side note.For those with special needs. Do not be discouraged. There are professionals out there that can help. We all understand that you might not be able to do the things that most feel are necessary, but that doesn't mean you cannot be great in your own right. Do what you can and become skilled in as much of the pistol craft that you can physically do. No one will fault you for this.
    ericb327 and stancehold like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I'm an average Joe that has to keep shooting and learning. I'm accurate but have to work hard. I compare shooting to golf, there's a lot of mental to it.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I carry a concealed sidearm where legal because it's a simple and effective tool for dispatching an up-close and personal threat if I am in danger of imminent death, sexual assault, or grave bodily harm. Period.

"Pistolcraft" is neither my vocation or avocation. I practice using said tools a few times each year and keep them in good repair. That's where my ccw sits in the pantheon of issues I need to consider for safety and security. No more, no less.
    Spirit51 and Hopyard like this.

VIP Member
    I'm a natural. I have always been the best shooter I know.... right up until I started shooting with professionals. Then I found out I'm not as good as I think I am.

The problem with being a natural is that sometimes I take it for granted and I don't practice as much as I should.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

easy to learn ; hard to master
    SWIll likes this.

I am not a natural guy. I have to work at it all the time.

There are so many individual elements to get right, it seems strange to me that shooting a handgun well just comes naturally to some folks.

VIP Member
    I'm not a natural, but tend to be a quick learner. If there is something I want to learn, I seek out an expert.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

No, it's not a natural motion for me, drawing and firing a gun. No, it's not natural for me to consider shooting someone to stop their aggression against me, or my family. But I figure if I want to be able to protect myself and my family, I had better get over that fact that neither is natural for me and practice (and practice and practice) until it becomes an ingrained and repeatable habit, even if it isn't natural. It doesn't need to be natural in order to be effective for me. Just my opinion.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Funny I think I've developed into a natural but I couldn't pinpoint when it happened.

I started shooting pistols (a colt. 22 automatic) as a young teenager. I must have put thousands of. 22 rounds into trees and crawfish mud towers with that 22. Then as a graduation present from my mom I got a Beretta Cougar 45. Good pistol but had one of the heaviest trigger pulls on any gun I've ever owned. It pegged out a trigger pull gauge at 16 lbs in single action mode before the trigger broke. Between the ridiculous trigger high bore axis and my recoil flinch I immediately developed I couldn't shoot that gun for crap.

I joined the Navy the spring after I graduated from high school, shot more and ended up getting rid of that cougar. A few years later I found myself getting perfect scores on the yearly pistol qual. The last one I shot was a ribbon shoot not just a yearly qual, so the last 2 courses of fire where at 25 yards and I still managed everything in the 10 ring for the perfect score.

Wierd now I really don't think about shooting well to be able to shoot well, but I think it came from shooting IDPA while in the Navy up in Connecticut. I don't go to the range as much as I would like but when I do, I don't require any warm up to put rounds where I want them. The last IDPA practice I went to I hadn't shot IDPA in 3 years and still ended up in the top 10 somewhere (6th or 7th... I don't remember) out of 35 or so. Glad that flinch went away early on:-). Now I don't know personally anyone that can put rounds into an IDPA down 0 area faster than me out of a holster but there are people that show up every week and can beat me cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The Natural

The natural, what does that have to do with guns? Well lets look at it from another point of view. The professional, you fill in the blank.

I'm going to use a pro football player, someone like Tom Brady. He fit right into a team and has won 3 titles. He has trained and practiced most of his life, but so have other QBs, what makes Brady so good. He is a natural. He has the god given ability to be the best at his Craft. Others with as much training and practice do not even come close. If what he does is so easy, then we would have multiple QBs with multiple titles. We don't. Hell, even Brett Farve only has one ring.

My question to you is this. Are you a natural? or are you the regular guy? If you are a natural at pistol craft, it will come easy to you, your fundamentals will be effortless, your draw stroke will be balanced and on point. Sight alignment and sight picture are easy to obtain. Trigger pull, nothing to it. Speed and accuracy are an easy balance as you push your weapon out and fire.

If you are a regular Joe, your fundamentals will be hard, so hard you will continue to by different weapons to find one you think will work. Your draw stroke will be choppy and flawed. At best your sight picture and alignment will allow for moments of good accuracy. Trigger pull will be hard and maddening, you will attempt to figure it out by again, buying another gun. Speed and accuracy hasn't even dawned on you yet, because of the other issues you are having with your weapon.

That being said we all know both types of people. The ones that are so good, you could puke, and others so bad, again, puke. Does the regular guy have a chance? Yes, he does, but he has to work on it. He will need advise and instruction from a Pro. The regular guy, with hard and hard training can become almost like the natural. My point is this, we all need instruction, no matter how good we are, or, should I say how good WE THINK we are. If you are having trouble ask, do not allow pride to get in your way. Face it head on and over come it, get out of
    your comfort zone and move past what is blocking you from being great. Trust me It will come, you will just have to work harder at it. As for all you naturals, thanks for the inspiration to be better

As a side note.For those with special needs. Do not be discouraged. There are professionals out there that can help. We all understand that you might not be able to do the things that most feel are necessary, but that doesn't mean you cannot be great in your own right. Do what you can and become skilled in as much of the pistol craft that you can physically do. No one will fault you for this.
    I think, based on your descriptions above, I started out a "Regular Joe"... However, after 20 plus in the military, basic weapons handling, qualifying on a regular basis, Nam Vet, then continuing with the learning/upgrade process of my skills after retirement, I now am a "Borderline Natural". My EDC, has been my weapon of choice for several years. Prior to that, no history of a great number of multiple weapons...A couple rifles, a couple shotguns, 5 - 8 handguns of varying caliber over my Gray Hair lifetime. If I purchase a different weapon, it's not because I desire to change my EDC, it's for the enjoyment of having/learning/shooting on the pleasure side. I have no fear that I can master the weapons that I choose to master, as far as knowledge and familiarity of the weapon...I'm comfortable with the fundamentals, draw, sight alignment/picture, trigger control, speed and accuracy are two points that I continually work on...I seek to shoot and train with those that know much more than myself, in hopes that I may continue to learn and improve. I don't fear the challenge, I worry about failure. I worry about sometimes disappointing myself in striving to become better. Soooo, am I a "Natural", nope, but I'm continually working towards it.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I would take pride in the fact that I can run a rifle very well.

Then I got serious about handguns......

I think rifles are easier than handguns, or maybe they just come easier to me. I doubt my last. For me, handguns are a royal pain. I have to work my tail off to do OK. That's OK by my standards, not the standards of the guys that really know what they are doing.

Links