On another board (I think), this question was asked: - Page 3

On another board (I think), this question was asked:

This is a discussion on On another board (I think), this question was asked: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few years ago here in Nashville, we had tag team rapists who would break into second story apartments in "safe" gated communties to get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: On another board (I think), this question was asked:

VIP Member
    A few years ago here in Nashville, we had tag team rapists who would break into second story apartments in "safe" gated communties to get to their victims.

A couple years ago, I was burglarized while I was not home. Considering the brashness of their entry by pounding the front door in, it may have been a home invasion and I just wasn't there. I'll never know.

Home is supposed to be safe, but sometimes it's not. A gun is either on me or within quick reach.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have kids in the house, and they regularly bring friends over. The only two choices I would consider safe in this situation would be (A) On my person, and (B) Locked in the safe. I can't 'hide' a loaded firearm around the house as some people do. If someone were to break down my door, it might take the rest of my life to get the safe unlocked. I'm not taking that chance with my families safety.

As someone said above, if I'm wearing pants, I'm packing.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

if I'm wearing pants, I'm packing
    What if you are wearing shorts (with socks and sandals ) or playing "dress up" in woman's cloths

Just kidding (bad joke, bad, go to the corner).

I've done the 10 sec, 1 min., etc.. thing. And since you don't know where you are going to be (in front of the door as it comes in, in front of the window between something and the hidden gun, etc..) it's faster if it is on you.

Oh Chris, I know how to carry 24/7 (the night time in bed carry). Buy some of those footed PJ's that have the teddy bear "purse" sewed to them. This way you have the gun (inside the teddy bear) and footwear if you need to run outside

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    Don't use PJ's Wayne !!!

So - gun stays on floor within easy reach
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    If it's not within arm's reach (wasn't thing of a pun either) you can't do what Ben Franklin said..."a stitch in time..." :)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Murphy says, that as soon as you lay your gun down, some BG will kick in your door. Now you're sitting there cussing yourself because your guns are all cozy in the safe on the other side of the house.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Heres how i see it. The more you carry, the more your comfertable. What better place to find out how is most comfertable than your own home.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    A couple years ago, I was burglarized while I was not home. Considering the brashness of their entry by pounding the front door in, it may have been a home invasion and I just wasn't there. I'll never know.
    Home is supposed to be safe, but sometimes it's not. A gun is either on me or within quick reach.
    exactly, almost all front doors (dead bolt or not) can be kicked in/busted in if need be, I'd rather have one of my pistols on my hip in my house than down the hall, etc....somebody busts in I can clear the Fobus in no time and they're in trouble.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

If you aren't comfortable carrying your gun at home, get a better holster. I don't carry in my robe, I don't hurry to get dressed, but I do put my gun on right after my pants.

I hope this isn't too OT or thread drift. If so, maybe make it into a thread of it's own

I have just also purchased a few more things. I don't use my front door, much, go out the back. I bought one of those door stop alarms so if they kick in the door a 120db siren will go off. Even if I'm not home 120db's will get someone's attention lol (live right next to the road.

Also got 5 window alarms. They will go off if the window is hit hard or broken. Again, 120dbs. One for each window in the house.

To me, paranoia (as some may define it) is a good thing. I posted the stuff that just happened 1.5 miles from my house, about the people across the street, my weedeaters being stolen (dog now stays outside during the day and gate is locked at night), and just the general "we can't do anything" from the LEO's because the county will fund welfare and drug/alcohol/gambling crap but not the LEO's (not their fault).

It's the way the state and the county try to impose more income taxes, taxes, and more taxes upon the people that actually work and don't leech off society.

Wayne

If home is safe, it's because
    1. it's your home turf, you know where everything is and you have your defensive measures in place. That includes the shotgun you have hidden or leaning next to your recliner and the gun on your hip (maybe your favorite gun instead of just the one that's concealable).
    2. Also you should have thought through various scenarios and prepared for them.
    Otherwise, you might as well be in Central Park. People who don't take measures to defend their homes and think they are safe have a false sense of security. A determined BG can get in your house. It's up to you to prepare for when and if they do.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    If home is safe, it's because
    1. it's your home turf, you know where everything is and you have your defensive measures in place. That includes the shotgun you have hidden or leaning next to your recliner and the gun on your hip (maybe your favorite gun instead of just the one that's concealable).
    .....yep, all 3 LOL

and yeah, seriously, better plan and include your family in that plan so they know what to do when someone kicks the door in/SHTF/etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

A few years ago here in Nashville, we had tag team rapists
    What are tag team rapists?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

pax
    About 1 in every 27 households in 2004 were either burglarized or had a member age 12 or older who was a victim of violent crime committed by a stranger. (Statistics from Bureau of Justice.)

In 2005, of victims of violent crime, 22% were involved in some form of leisure activity away from home at the time of their victimization, 22% said they were at home, and another 20% mentioned they were at work or traveling to or from work when the crime occurred. (Statistics from the Bureau of Justice).

In 2004:

Of the 207,240 rapes and sexual assaults in America, 30% happened inside the woman's own home.

Of the 83,920 rapes and sexual assaults committed by a stranger, 42% happened inside the woman's own home.

Of the 99,130 incidents of completed robbery in which the victim was injured, 31% happened inside the victim's own home.

Of the 895,340 cases of aggravated assault, 18% happened within the victim's own home.

All from the US Dept of Justice 2004 statistical tables, which are available in .pdf format online.

For me, though, it wasn't that I thought a home invasion was particularly likely. It was simply that my kids were very small, and at the time we could not afford a real safe. Carrying the gun in a holster on my belt was the one way I could absolutely guarantee the little darlings couldn't touch my gun without me knowing about it.

But when I did think about home invasions ... I realized that if anything did happen, I might have to make a choice whether to leave my small children alone in the room with an invader in order to retrieve our defense gun. Perish the thought!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links