On another board (I think), this question was asked:

This is a discussion on On another board (I think), this question was asked: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why do you feel the need to carry at home. They thought it was stupid to do so. Maybe due to the live in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On another board (I think), this question was asked:

Why do you feel the need to carry at home. They thought it was stupid to do so. Maybe due to the live in a gated community with armed guards (mp5's and desert eagle .50's (sarcasim)) and have bomb shelters as a home.

Well, this happened at 12:30 today. I was at work but came home around 1250 due to seeing alot of police activity coming toward this area (really need to get my scanner fixed)

http://www.kezi.com/content/contentID/14552

http://www.kval.com/x62046.xml

Lane County Sheriff's Office Investigates Fatal Shooting in Goshen

A shooting in Goshen Friday afternoon leaves one person dead.
    And three people in police custody.
    That shooting happened right around 12:30 on Friday afternoon.
    The investigation is still on-going.
    The Lane County Sheriff's Office says one female was shot.
    Three males are being questioned.
    All of this could be drug related.
    The Lane County Sheriff's Office was called out to the area of First Street and C Street.
    A deputy on traffic patrol was nearby.
    When the deputy and state trooper arrived, they found a female dead inside a pick truck.
    The truck; was in a ditch on the side of the road.
    Police found two people at the home.
    They were taken into custody.
    "At this time potentially we don't know for sure, but this may have been one of those drug rip off drug scenario. we don't know that for a fact. all we know is there was a marijuana grow in the residence where this event took place," said Russell Burger, Lane County Sheriff.
    The sheriff says the female may have been trying to drive away when she was shot.
    The sheriff's office along with state police searched the neighborhood for a potential suspect.
    The Goshen School was on lock down during the search.
    By about 2:15 the sheriff's office had confirmed they had everybody they were looking for in custody.
    The investigation continued throughout the evening.
    The Oregon State Police crime lab is assisting the sheriff's office.
    Police have not released the names of the victim or the people that are in custody.
    Arrests are still pending.
    Goshen Shooting

By Sophie Soong

Email this story to a friend
    Printer-friendly Version

Goshen -
    A woman is dead and three men are in custody after a shooting Friday afternoon in Goshen. According to investigators, it all happened because of an apparent drug deal gone wrong.

The shooting happened around 12:30 just south of Eugene. "We heard a single pop sounded like a small caliber handgun, then we heard, shortly after that, several cop cars go buzzing through the street here," Chris Hallford, a witness, said.

When Oregon State Police officers and Lane County Sheriffs deputies arrived, they found a truck off the road, a bullet hole in the back window and a woman dead inside. Right across the street, they found marijuana growing inside a house.

"At this time, potentially, we don't know for sure, it may have been one of those drug rip-off type scenarios," Russ Burger with the Lane County Sheriff's Office said.

There were three male suspects, two were arrested on scene. Investigators say the third one tried to run away. Officers say he was trying to hide in the bushes when a police airplane overhead spotted him. Authorities quickly handcuffed the suspect and took him into custody.

Goshen Elementary School was under lock down as authorities worked on securing the area. It later re-opened and students went home.

Police say, they'll continue to have the area taped off for at least the next couple of days.

The identities of the victim and the suspects have not been released.

My house is about 1.5 miles from the address given in the first account.

I've called the police, told the police and begged the police to check out some of the places in Goshen and across the street but they will not.

I wouldn't doubt if some of these characters (interested in seeing what they look like, I bet I've seen them around here, including the girl) were part of the thefts that have been going around around here.

And people think that we/I am paranoid. Darn tottin'.

And NO, I will not be run off my land (my home stead). It's mine, the property is mine, and I'm not going to allow these criminals or wussy folks who only advice is to move to make me move off my land.

Sometimes, it's great to feel secure, have someone to depend on, and to feel all fuzzy, that time ends when you go from a child to a man, then it's time to stand up and take control or die trying.

Assistant Administrator
    My simple answer if folks think I am looney or paranoid carrying at home is - simply - how am I to know (ever) if and when anything might go down.

Add to that what I have mentioned often - if my gun is always at my side, there is no way I can finish up, anywhere - thinking - ''oh crap - forgot to tool up''!!! I call it dedication to carry and it has nothing to with wierd or paranoia - it's being prepeared every waking hour (where legal) and for me that is pretty much 16/7.

In the hopefully unlikely event that anything bad will occur, then at least at any time and place in a given day - I can reach and draw - not have to walk several seconds to retrieve under duress - or as I said - realize that the one and only time my life might be on the line - it just ain't there

I am not either in the least concerned how anyone might view my carry habits - my life - my decision.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I have a firearm usually within arms reach if not actually on my person while at home.

Since I live on a farm, I have occasion to use them....OFTEN. There is always some nuisance to deal with. They include things like: opossum, raccoon, fox, coyote, skunk......

So far I've been lucky in that none have been 2-legged vermin.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Nothing more to say thanks P95
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

JD
    Administrator
    I live in an apartment building next door to pot heads, we have a common entrance to the building that is never locked and for a while there was a bunch of punks knocking on doors asking to borrow a laundry token because the office was closed, you'd open the door and it was a lot more than a token they were borrowing.

The said thing is that this is actually a pretty nice complex.

We now have a neighborhood watch of which I am a member (go figure I'm the only one armed) and it is actullay deterring crime, well except for the pot smokers across the hall, I can't prove it but I know the smell of dope....I read a book on it once when I was a stupid kid and the book told me what it smells like.

So yes I carry at home and me and my wife both have seperate bedside guns.

Ditto Goawayfarm...

I always have a gun within reach...and...one on my person! I only have nine pistols now...six are usually in the safe (open)...one on my person...and one near (a few seconds) each door!
    We live in a great neighborhood. The woods are in back, and 'watching' neighbors in front, but every once in a while one hears of a home invasion (in someone else's nice neighborhood)...and..."I can't believe it happened in our neighborhood!" I am always prepared!

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    ...the old scout motto 'be prepared' is not paranoid, just smart
    as I sit in my recliner typing this on my laptop, the glock 30 is in a fobus owb
    ...too many instances of home invasions, strange people knocking at the door, etc....I say take no chances
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    ...the old scout motto 'be prepared' is not paranoid, just smart
    as I sit in my recliner typing this on my laptop, the glock 30 is in a fobus owb
    ...too many instances of home invasions, strange people knocking at the door, etc....I say take no chances
    A Norinco M1911A1 is on my hip as I type.

Get real . The only time you need a gun or knife is when you don't have one. So I carry all the time and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Get real . The only time you need a gun or knife is when you don't have one. So I carry all the time and stay safe.
    Maybe even a gun AND a knife!

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I've never had the question come up, my one neighbor knows our other neighbor broke into my apartment, so she doesn't question it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Never without a piece . Carry everywhere ( don't go to the placeswhere it's not legal) and always have something strapped up when at home . 45 on my nightstand and 40 on the wives when we're sleeping. People can call it paranoid , but have had a break in in the middle of the night that ended quickly when I stepped out with my old 357 ( didn't have to shoot em , but held em for the cops) . Also stopped a potential threat when I was 10 and at home alone simply by going to the door , yelling to leave , then racking a round in the old man's 12 gauge . Guess the sound of the shotgun is what did it cause they left pronto as soon as I did that .

So am I paranoid? I don't think so , just prepared to protect myself and my family .

As they say, " Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

On another board (I think), this question was asked: Why do you feel the need to carry at home. They thought it was stupid to do so.
    "They" are presuming to know a criminal's choice of venue. They're not thinking it through, plain and simple. Place/time is not under our control. Until it is, being prepared always is the most reliable option for defending against such "random" surprises as crime ... and even then, there are no guarantees.

An interesting exercise is to contact your local PD and Sheriff's offices, to inquire about the "crime map" of the town. It's appalling how many things happen inside at a person's home or property, at all times of the day/night. The day when perps selected 9:30am M-F to do their home/property crimes is long past.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    How true....you never know when Mr Murphy will show up & he's usually on the BGs side.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links