Shenandoah National Park sign that says firearms must be unloaded

This is a discussion on Shenandoah National Park sign that says firearms must be unloaded within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DSC03579.jpg This picture is on an open road in the Shenandoah National Park. After CCW was allowed in the national parks, all their previous signs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Shenandoah National Park sign that says firearms must be unloaded

Shenandoah National Park sign that says firearms must be unloaded

DSC03579.jpg
    This picture is on an open road in the Shenandoah National Park. After CCW was allowed in the national parks, all their previous signs about weapons were removed but this one has recently appeared. How does this affect CCW and is it legal for them to post this sign? Thanks for your help

2. Remove Ads

Being the park is federal all I can suggest is to contact the appropriate federal agency concerning the sign and the legal issues it might pose.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Contact the National Park Service for clarification on the sign. Have them show you the regulation authorizing it. To be honest, I have a feeling that the sign is not authorized. They don't usually use a hand painted sign, and there is no reference to the NPS on it.
    varob likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Definitely contact the NPS, but don't discount the possibility that it's a misunderstanding. They could be just trying to ensure no one is hunting in this area.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Concealed carry is allowed in national parks, so I am assuming the sign is not strictly legal, however, I would contact the park service, and possibly an attorney specializing in firearms law.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I recently camped in Valley of Fire State park in so. NV. I noticed a posting that said no firearms allowed. I spoke to a ranger and was told the sign was not correct and open and concealed carry was now legal in the park. The law was changed in July 2011. Went back a month latter and the same sign is still on the board.

Lead Moderator
    A sign (hand) painted on a board and nailed to a tree sure doesn't seem very official, but I'd check anyhow.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I grew up in the shadows if the Blue Ridge Mtn. You would always see hand painted signs thru out the parks. Most were put there by loggers who didn't want to get shot at while working.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I believe the concealed carry in National parks is tied to the State laws that the park is in. Here in Fla we could CCW carry in State parks so we can conceal carry since the federal regulations changed.

The sign means nothing as far as the law goes. This link on Shenandoah's website makes it clear that Virginia law governs firearms law in the park. However, be aware of the limitations for entering certain buildings on national park land, also on the website.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Quote Originally Posted by my2friends View Post
    DSC03579.jpg
    This picture is on an open road in the Shenandoah National Park. After CCW was allowed in the national parks, all their previous signs about weapons were removed but this one has recently appeared. How does this affect CCW and is it legal for them to post this sign? Thanks for your help
    Campsites
    Each campsite is equipped with a picnic table, fire grate, and parking
    area. Electric and water hookups are not available. Campsites are
    limited to 2 tents, 6 people and 2 vehicles (including RV) per site.
    Vehicles must stay on paved/graveled areas. Please do not trench
    your site or put nails in trees
    Just sayin.

Michael
    CIBMike likes this.

Just sent email to Shenandoan National Park asking them about sign

I just emailed Shenandoan National Park to see what their response is. I will post it here when and if they reply.

Interesting. Looks to me like someone took it upon themselves to do it. Note that the regs says not to put nails in trees , yet it's nailed up. Hence why I believe it was not put up by the NPS.

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    CIBMike likes this.

Concealed is concealed and that sign would not stop me from carrying a weapon in a national park. Never has, never will.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Concealed is concealed and that sign would not stop me from carrying a weapon in a national park. Never has, never will.
    Keep in mind that in many of the buildings on national parks it is illegal to have any firearms. Yes, you carry concealed which does not insure they will never find out. Example: you pass out while in the building and they find your weapon. The "feds" have no sense of humor and will charge you which knowing the "feds" it will be a felony. So good luck to you.
    PatAz likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links