Willing to kill vs willing to die?

This is a discussion on Willing to kill vs willing to die? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Philosophical questions with which I've wrestled for years and posed to different audiences. I'm interested in hearing from this group. Imagine a pile of coins, ...

View Poll Results: Which stack is bigger?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stack 2 is bigger than 3 - There are more things for which I'd kill than die for

24 32.00%
  • Stack 3 is bigger than stack 2 - There are more things for which I'd die than kill

8 10.67%
  • Stack 2 and 3 are equal

6 8.00%
  • There's nothing in stack 2 or 3 - if I'm willing to die for it, I'm willing to kill

37 49.33%
  • I'm not willing to die or kill for anything

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Willing to kill vs willing to die?

Willing to kill vs willing to die?

Philosophical questions with which I've wrestled for years and posed to different audiences. I'm interested in hearing from this group.

Imagine a pile of coins, each representing a hypothetical scenario, situation, person, concern, value, etc.

You go through the pile, placing them in stacks on the table. Anything that doesn't get fit one of these stacks gets put in a bag on the side (hopefully, that bag's pretty full at the end of the exercise):
    1. I'd be willing either to die or to kill another human over this
    2. I'd be willing to kill another human but not to die for this
    3. I'd be willing to die but not to kill another human for this

Anything that doesn't
    My questions:
    Is stack 2 bigger than stack 3, or vice versa?
    What are examples from each stack?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    In self defense or defense of another I don't think they're mutually exclusive.
    Dumbledork likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Not quite sure I understand your question, but I'll try to answer it.

To me it basically comes down to, I would kill to protect myself and my loved ones. While I will not lay down my life in vain, I would give it up protecting those I love.

I will not kill to protect material items, but if I feel my life is in danger because someone is trying to take them by force, I will meet that force with ruthless force of my own. They may take me out, but they will not take me out easily.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    In general (barring any specifics), I'd be more willing to die than to kill, but would kill if absolutely necessary.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    I absolutely don't understand the question, however Archer51's comments pretty much sum up my feelings as well.

I am willing to die for my loved ones and those close to me. I am willing to kill to protect the same. Pretty simple.

^^^1^^^

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    I absolutely don't understand the question, however Archer51's comments pretty much sum up my feelings as well.
    Same here. Archer51 put it into words for me too.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The question as posed isn't all that easy to understand or answer.

Am I willing to kill to protect myself, my loved ones, or even other people in certain circumstances. Yes.

Am I willing to kill to protect property under certain circumstances, if the person doesn't decide to their life is worth more than the property. Yes.

Am I willing to accept death as a result of the previous statements. Yes.

Am I willing to accept death so that someone else that I love may live. Yes.

I don't know how the piles would stack up because there are way to many scenarios that could possibly be brought to the table. However, with reasonable caution and planning the instances that you will have to flip that coin should be very few in a lifetime.
    Beans, Spirit51, atctimmy and 3 others like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Die for my loved ones. Kill to protect them. There is no magical formula for that....
    brozilla1 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Simple enough choice. I am unwilling to die over the stupidity or criminality of another.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    Same with me too!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Don't really know what is in Stack 1 or Stack 2. I am unwilling to die at the hands of another and if they press the issue, will do my best to take them out first. I will protect my family and loved ones up to and including dying in the process.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I am not going to die for anybody. Let the other guy die. Or what Patton said.
    multistage and l1a1 like this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

It’s like this; if it’s not yours don't touch/take it no matter what it is and if need be I will defend it and if that means killing so be it.

A soldier does not kill because he hates what is in front of him but because he loves what is behind him

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links