Connecticut concealed carry in businesses whose signage prohibits firearms

This is a discussion on Connecticut concealed carry in businesses whose signage prohibits firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the concealed carry of firearms for lawfully permitted individuals in businesses (EG. Apparently EVERY mall (or most) in the state) an arrestable offense? Or ...

Thread: Connecticut concealed carry in businesses whose signage prohibits firearms

Connecticut concealed carry in businesses whose signage prohibits firearms

Is the concealed carry of firearms for lawfully permitted individuals in businesses (EG. Apparently EVERY mall (or most) in the state) an arrestable offense? Or is it simply against the rules of the business in which case you could be asked to leave?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From Handgunlaw.us

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”
    Sec. 29-28 …Permit to Carry Pistol or Revolver…
    (e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.
    Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited
    The above site is a wealth of information. Not only on CT but all other states as well. Just a word of warning though. Laws are changing constantly, Gary does his best to stay on top of things, but something could happen he isn't aware of. It is YOUR to know and follow the laws where your at.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Hi SeaStar,

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
    “YES”

Sec. 29-28 …Permit to Carry Pistol or Revolver…
    (e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.

Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.

Distinguished Member
    Awww.. Archer51 beat me by two minutes.... That's what I get for answering the phone in the middle of a post :)

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I believe CT also has no preemption, not sure but I think there are two cities that don't honor cc. Have to check for sure.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    New Britain, New London, No carry allowed!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    New Britain, New London, No carry allowed!
    Is it something they try to claim/enforce, but isn't actually legal? I lived in CT for almost 5 years and never knew this. Seems like if it WERE enforceable, then many of the more libtard cities would be doing it, like New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Is it something they try to claim/enforce, but isn't actually legal? I lived in CT for almost 5 years and never knew this. Seems like if it WERE enforceable, then many of the more libtard cities would be doing it, like New Haven, Hartford, Bridgeport, etc...
    Enforced? Yep! A friend was stopped in New Britain for a traffic beef and happened to have three guns on his person. The charge was ultimately dismissed (don't recall the reason), but it took him a while to get his hardware back, plus the cost of a lawyer.

It took a while, but in the 1990s the Coalition of CT Sportsmen successfully used an East Hartford case to firmly establish state pre-emption for hunting laws, but the carrying of handguns and the permit process has remained out of reach of reform efforts. Even after the Silly Season concluded last week, there were two or more bills which would have eliminated the highly variable town permit system (necessary first step in getting a state permit), but in an election year the political leadership refused to let those bill rise to a vote. The good guys will try again next year.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Huh, glad I never ran into any trouble. I got my permit from Naugatuck pretty easily and carried everywhere.

Links