Handgun purchase waiting period. - Page 2

Handgun purchase waiting period.

This is a discussion on Handgun purchase waiting period. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In VT, about 3 min to fill out the ATF 4473, and 5 minutes to put the call into NICS....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Handgun purchase waiting period.

In VT, about 3 min to fill out the ATF 4473, and 5 minutes to put the call into NICS.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmf0925 View Post
    In Michigan if you have your CPL you just show it and walk out the store with your new gun! If you don't have your CPL its not that bad of a process.. you just go to whatever city police department you live in and get a purchase permit (free, takes about 5 mins) and take that to the gun shop. No waiting period for that either.
    FYI, MI is also considering eliminating the requirement for (local PD issued) purchase permits and registration. One can only hope.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    If the recall election goes well for us, I believe we can work on it. No reason for it if you got the license. If we go with the backwards mayor no chance. That may get more people to get the license and training. I know I would purchase more if I did not have the inconvenience of a 48 hour wait.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    In FLA if you have your CWFL there is no wait period, without it the wait is 3 days in most counties and 5 days in miami/dade, Broward and maybe Palm Beach, a quirk in the laws here allow the counties to add 2 days to the 3 day wait period which I believe is a FEDERAL law.
    There is no federally imposed 3-day waiting period unless the NICS check fails to yield either a "proceed" or "denied" response, in which case the FFL must wait 3 business days (not including the day the NICS check was initiated) before transferring the firearm by default.

12 states and the D.o.C. impose their own wating periods... a brief summary can be found here: http://www.lcav.org/content/waiting_periods.pdf

No wait in OK.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Tennessee - I'm usually approved before I can finish the 4473 & paying.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    If the recall election goes well for us, I believe we can work on it. No reason for it if you got the license. If we go with the backwards mayor no chance. That may get more people to get the license and training. I know I would purchase more if I did not have the inconvenience of a 48 hour wait.
    I would love for this to happen and I would agree that more people may get a CCW permit to avoid the waiting period. It is silly that you can walk out with a rifle the same day but have to wait two days for a handgun. If someone was to "go off" and started shooting people, that person could do a lot more damage with a AR-15 with 30 rd. mags than that person could do with any handgun. Oh, but a handgun can be concealed someone would say. If someone is that bent on taking out people, that person isn't going to worry about if a weapon can be concealed or not.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    I would love for this to happen and I would agree that more people may get a CCW permit to avoid the waiting period. It is silly that you can walk out with a rifle the same day but have to wait two days for a handgun. If someone was to "go off" and started shooting people, that person go do a lot more damage with a AR-15 with 30 rd. mags than that person could do with any handgun. Oh, but a handgun can be concealed someone would say. If someone is that bent on taking out people, that person isn't going to worry about if a weapon can be concealed or not.
    first: lets get the vote out this June
    second: get somebody to sign up for a WI CCL ( need to get our numbers up 107k now??)
    third: contact our reps to change the law

Good plan MrBuckwheat.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Here in Warshington, when I bought my GP100 before I had my CPL it was a five-day waiting period, and still is IIRC. Now that I have my CPL, I can- and have- purchased and possessed the firearms in just a few minutes.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links