Handgun purchase waiting period.

This is a discussion on Handgun purchase waiting period. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard that many states have dropped there mandatory waiting period when purchasing a new handgun for ccw permit holders. Has anyone heard any rumors ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Handgun purchase waiting period.

Handgun purchase waiting period.

I've heard that many states have dropped there mandatory waiting period when purchasing a new handgun for ccw permit holders. Has anyone heard any rumors of Wisconsin for doing this? What does your state do?
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

2. Remove Ads

No wait in Tx.

In Michigan if you have your CPL you just show it and walk out the store with your new gun! If you don't have your CPL its not that bad of a process.. you just go to whatever city police department you live in and get a purchase permit (free, takes about 5 mins) and take that to the gun shop. No waiting period for that either.

Haven't heard anything about that being changed in WI, still the same 48 hour wait.

Would be nice though, I'd probably have a couple of impulse buys in the safe if that was the case

With my CCL I can pretty much be in and out in less than 30 min :) I'm in Tx.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

No wait in AZ if you have a CCW, and the last time I bought a gun in CT it was the same way.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The longest I've ever waited, even without a CCW, is overnight, because I got to my LGS right before closing. It usually takes about 30 minutes here in Colorado.

Distinguished Member
    No waiting in Maine... just a 4473 and a 5 minute phone call for the NICS check.
    I'll print a 4473 form, fill it out and keep it in my truck just to make things a little quicker when I get the urge to patronize my LGS :)
    My CCW hasn't eliminated the NICS calls here.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    In Nevada the only waiting period is in Clark County and it is 3 days for your very first handgun. However you can go to Henderson or Boulder City and buy and walk out with your shooter.

Mexifornia, aka Cali-Fornia has a ten day wait on all firearms! First or your number 100 in your collection!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    no waiting. Kentuckyand no fbi background check with permit .
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I think it's 5 days in illinois
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

In FLA if you have your CWFL there is no wait period, without it the wait is 3 days in most counties and 5 days in miami/dade, Broward and maybe Palm Beach, a quirk in the laws here allow the counties to add 2 days to the 3 day wait period which I believe is a FEDERAL law.

It's cash and carry in NC, with or without you CCP, you do however have to obtain a Pistol Purchase Permit if you don't have your CCP. PA was cash and carry as long as I can recall as well.

Sent from this... Using that...

5 minute or so background check in TN. Wish they would eliminate it here for HCP holders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've bought guns in CO from gun shows with just a BG check. 30 minutes to an hour based on the line. No additional waiting period.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links