Busted by my Daughter - Page 2

Busted by my Daughter

This is a discussion on Busted by my Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by yz9890 ah. you didn't mention that she said anything other than "what's that". and that doesn't mean "gun" to anyone. but if ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Busted by my Daughter

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    ah. you didn't mention that she said anything other than "what's that". and that doesn't mean "gun" to anyone. but if she said something else that could've publicly outed you, especially if you told her not to, then that certainly makes sense. but if she had to apologize for just saying "what's that", then I think her old man is a bit of a hard ass.
    She did not say anything more than "What's that?" and I did not make her apologize. When we got back in the car after dinner, I told her that it was my gun she felt. She remembered our talk and realized that that she came close to outing me. She said "Sorry Daddy" on her own. I did not scold her or punish her in any way.

I will say the J-clips are great. You have to have the velcro backing on every belt you want to use, but it's very effective.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I don't really care who knows I carry but I don't talk about it. My wife doesn't like it but she really isn't aware most of the time weather I'm carrying or not. I figure it's my right and I will do it. Besides at 5'6" and 71 yrs old I can hardly defend myself or my wife without it.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    She did not say anything more than "What's that?" and I did not make her apologize. When we got back in the car after dinner, I told her that it was my gun she felt. She remembered our talk and realized that that she came close to outing me. She said "Sorry Daddy" on her own. I did not scold her or punish her in any way.
    good for her then.

she must be a busy kid if she goes around apologizing for stuff she didn't do. i think she owes me an apology for not denting my truck. ;)

good for her then.

she must be a busy kid if she goes around apologizing for stuff she didn't do. i think she owes me an apology for not denting my truck. ;)
    Dude, you really need to let this rest.

Criticizing my parenting and my children is something I don't put up with.
    Badey likes this.

Dude, you really need to let this rest.

Criticizing my parenting and my children is something I don't put up with.
    calm down.

maybe don't tell the world in a public forum how gun shy your kids are around you if you're unwilling to accept anything other than an attaboy.

i'm not concerned about what you don't put up with.

I'm not knocking other means of carry, but getting made with a gun on your waist is one more reason that I prefer pocket carry.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

calm down.

maybe don't tell the world in a public forum how gun shy your kids are around you if you're unwilling to accept anything other than an attaboy.

i'm not concerned about what you don't put up with.
    Where did I say my kids were gun shy? Where did I ever say I made my daughter apologize? YOU need to stop making assumptions!

I posted what I thought was an amusing story that pertained to the OP. You made this post about my kids and my parenting skills.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'd like to say "thank you" for how you appear to be raising your child. If she apologized on her own for what she did, then that means she thought she outed you or almost did, and if that is something you've been drilling into her, it's good that she understands the seriousness of it, whether she did wrong or not. I think you handled it as a responsible (and loving) parent should. I'd rather a kid who is quick to apologize for an apparent screw up than a kid who doesn't care, which, to me, seems more common these days.
    WHEC724, phreddy, TBob and 4 others like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis2 View Post
    The embossed emblems and Crossbreed's unwillingness to eliminate these are the reason I no longer utilize any Crossbreed products. I don't think a bigger tell exists that I am carrying than these embossed emblems! Have gone exclusively to Tommy Theis for my IWB holsters!
    The only people who would know what those clips mean are gun folk, the same gun folk who are going to know what the plain jane clips mean.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Personally, I make sure my wife and children are aware that I carry. I want them to know why I like them to my left side as often as possible. Also, it keeps them from ever talking about it since they know. Anyone close enough to give me a hug is also close enough for me to be honest with about my choices.

IF they didn't know and IF my child or any other family member was to ask me in public about carrying a handgun…… I'd be honest and clearly state I do so legally for work and hopefully to keep my family a little safer.

Don't see what the big deal is about hiding the fact that we carry. I don't go running around telling everyone, but my immediate family knows and if someone else figured it out, so be it.

I'd say "yep, it's a gun. It's easier to kill baby seals if I happen upon one on the beach with this than it is a club, plus finding a club on the beach is a lot harder than you'd think!"

I just don't understand the big deal about carrying a handgun. It's another tool, hopefully of many, and I for one think family members should know so they too don't grow up thinking it's something bad and should be hidden from those you call friends and family.

I carry ever minute I'm awake. My kids are all over me. Occasionally one will bump their head on the grip, but that's about the extent of it. People are making way too big a deal out of this. This is not directed to anyone in particular (and I swear it's not directed at phreddy as I've heard similar stories many times, but it did remind me of it), but kids reacting in shame and fear, grown men afraid to tell their own family, members of the family whom they created, that they carry a firearm to protect THEM and all this other sillyness. I couldn't care less what people think of me (within reason of course) and I certainly am not embarrassed of the fact that I will protect my family and myself at all costs, and I make that a priority. If anyone is ashamed of that, then there's likely a lot more to be ashamed of as well.

Again, not directed at anyone here, just a general statement - Man up, tell the family, teach them about self defense and safety and drive on. Put your gun on, go about your day and leave it alone. Don't think about it again (within reason), there are more important things to be scared of, if that's your thing.

I carry a full size gun (used to be a 1911, now a Glock 17 or M&P 9) in the South Texas heat. I carry outside the waistband mostly and inside the waistband on occasion. I carry a spare mag (or two at work) and a Strider fixed blade on my belt. I wear untucked semi-fitted button downs, jeans or semi-dress pants and often just a t-shirt if I'm not at work. It's very hard to tell I'm carrying unless I bend over at the waist, which I wouldn't do anyway, I bend down at my knees. I used to be careful about my movements, but now it's just natural. I think the big issue isn't the size of the firearm but how you carry yourself.

I'm not a big guy and I have a somewhat athletic build. I wear 31x31 pants and a 40r suit. It's not a big deal and I'd certainly NEVER give up the handgun I carry for something that prints a little less.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

sgb
    I carry, my wife carries and the kids are grown with families of their own carry as well. Guns are only a big deal if you make them a big deal.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Where did I say my kids were gun shy? Where did I ever say I made my daughter apologize? YOU need to stop making assumptions!

I posted what I thought was an amusing story that pertained to the OP. You made this post about my kids and my parenting skills.
    the OP was about parenting around guns. it sounds like you're doing a fine job with your kids but that's not how your first post came across when I read it.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    ... I cannot get away from the clips that go over the belt. However, it did take 6 months or carrying around my family during all waking hours before anyone noticed. Therefore I concluded, that the casual observer would not notice at all.

Side note, I should have gotten the J hooks with the crossbreed holster. They are much better for concealment.
    J-hooks are a good idea. But, if you want the best possible concealment from your CBST, get a velcro backed belt & velco clips. I've got velcro on the back of all my belts. So, whenever I'm wearing a tucked shirt I can still have total concealment; (even the clips).

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    She apologized because we have spoken before about telling other people that daddy carries. I have asked both my children not to talk about my guns or my carrying in public.
    but she self-corrected in time and thought it out. best kind of learning experience--when they think it out for themselves.

you are doing some rifling with her at 10, yes?
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links