Busted by my Daughter

Busted by my Daughter

This is a discussion on Busted by my Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Little background. I got my CHL about 5 yrs ago, but never really carried. Just got it for the "just in case" scenario. Well there ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Busted by my Daughter

Busted by my Daughter

Little background. I got my CHL about 5 yrs ago, but never really carried. Just got it for the "just in case" scenario. Well there have been some break ins in our neighborhood, so about 6 months ago, I decided to start carrying full time. Bought a crossbreed supertuck for my XD 9 service model and started to carry all the time, even at home. I did not tell my wife or daughters that I started to carry. Last weekend, went for a 2 mile walk with my dog, wife and youngest daughter. We left around dusk, so I knew we would be getting home after dark. Had my handgun on me and we started our walk. About half way, I was in front of them with the dog, my wife noticed the crossbreed clips on my belt (I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt tucked in) and asked what they were for. I did not have my phone on me so I could not say it was my phone clip. Before I could answer, my daughter blurted out "Are you carrying your gun?". BUSTED. The 4" barrel full grip handgun does not print, but I cannot get away from the clips that go over the belt. However, it did take 6 months or carrying around my family during all waking hours before anyone noticed. Therefore I concluded, that the casual observer would not notice at all.

Side note, I should have gotten the J hooks with the crossbreed holster. They are much better for concealment.
    Bark'n likes this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Last saturday I took my girls out for dinner since momma had a girls night out. My youngest (10) was very tired and put her arms around my waist kind of hanigng on to me. She touched my edc and looked up and said "What's that?" Then her eyes got real big and she just turned away and got real quiet. We talked later and she apololgized; she had forgotten that I carry but then remembered.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Love my CrossBreed

A friend of mine got busted by his 4 year old, he ran up to daddy and his head was just the right height to bang his head on daddy's Sig.

My 2nd grader busted me a few weeks ago. It was in a public bathroom where he needed some help in the stall.

There where a few others in there when he blurted out "Daddy, why do you have your gun?

I just replied, BECAUSE
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The embossed emblems and Crossbreed's unwillingness to eliminate these are the reason I no longer utilize any Crossbreed products. I don't think a bigger tell exists that I am carrying than these embossed emblems! Have gone exclusively to Tommy Theis for my IWB holsters!
    EMSeight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Last saturday I took my girls out for dinner since momma had a girls night out. My youngest (10) was very tired and put her arms around my waist kind of hanigng on to me. She touched my edc and looked up and said "What's that?" Then her eyes got real big and she just turned away and got real quiet. We talked later and she apololgized; she had forgotten that I carry but then remembered.
    what is she apologizing for? your gun is your problem, not your children's. who cares if they notice. it's a non-issue or should be when your family gets used to it in my opinion. my edc gun is in a lockbox in my kitchen. I holster it in front of whoever is in the kitchen. it's not a secret that dad carries a gun. my son gets pissed when I don't have it.
    Djmerullo and vca2004 like this.

VIP Member
    It's funny how many of us started out carrying discretely, without our families knowing.

I understand. I remember when I first got my CWP, the first thing Mrs. Whec said was "this doesn't mean that you're going to carry that thing all the time, does it?"

Now she reminds me to ensure I'm carrying when I leave the house, and Whec Jr. is starting to build up his own gun collection.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis2 View Post
    The embossed emblems and Crossbreed's unwillingness to eliminate these are the reason I no longer utilize any Crossbreed products. I don't think a bigger tell exists that I am carrying than these embossed emblems!
    Those who recognize the emblems are probably carrying as well, or at least glad you're carrying.

Don't care whether a good guy or a bad guy knows I am carrying. NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW! My decision to utilize my firearms will be mine and mine alone. Don't need anyone proclaiming to the world I am carrying and forcing my hand into an illegal, immoral or otherwise questionable act.
    vca2004 likes this.

Besides my husband...my daughter and grand daughter know, because if "push comes to shove" and Mom is put in a shooting situation, they have to know what to do. In a parking lot...drop, roll under the nearest car and call 911 and DON'T come out until the Police arrive...no matter what. If outside a store.....run back in screaming for the Police. If walking, get behind Nana and drop to the ground and try to roll out of the line of fire.

If, God forbid, Nana has a medical emergency....take it into their custody put it in Nana's purse and give it to Grandpa when they see him. This is one reason we are giving the Grand daughter lessons in gun safety. Daughter already knows.

Just like the tactics Hubby and I discuss so we are both mentally prepared...the people with you have to know how to react.
    Crashoften and vca2004 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    what is she apologizing for? your gun is your problem, not your children's. who cares if they notice. it's a non-issue or should be when your family gets used to it in my opinion. my edc gun is in a lockbox in my kitchen. I holster it in front of whoever is in the kitchen. it's not a secret that dad carries a gun. my son gets pissed when I don't have it.
    She apologized because we have spoken before about telling other people that daddy carries. I have asked both my children not to talk about my guns or my carrying in public.
    mano3, kmagnuss and vca2004 like this.

There's is a freedom in not caring that few seem to find. Of course, when you OC at home it's hard to hide too. Funny that since I don't make a big deal about it, neither do my kids.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I have had the same issues with my daughters. Coming up for a hug , walking with arm around each other and they have noticed. I too have had that talk with them that people dont need to know daddy is carrying a gun. But i dont make a big deal about it if they slip up a little. I just smile and remind them about it. The last thing i want them to think is it is a bad thing or a giant secret that they will get into trouble. It may also be because we are from Arizona where open carry and concealed carry is more prelevant.
    Jason

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    She apologized because we have spoken before about telling other people that daddy carries. I have asked both my children not to talk about my guns or my carrying in public.
    ah. you didn't mention that she said anything other than "what's that". and that doesn't mean "gun" to anyone. but if she said something else that could've publicly outed you, especially if you told her not to, then that certainly makes sense. but if she had to apologize for just saying "what's that", then I think her old man is a bit of a hard ass.

My grandma busted me several months ago. It was one of the rare occasions when she stood up to give me a two handed hug before I left. She said "what's that?". I tried to play dumb but she wasn't buying it. "are you packin' a pistol?". It turns out grandma doesn't care. Now she picks on me. When she sees a deer in her yard she tells me to keep the gun in the holster.
    As for the wife and kids, they've known from day one. My wife and I made the decision together to become gun owners and to start carrying. No secrets means no hard feelings or lack of trust. And also no worries about it coming up in public if she suddenly discovers it.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links