Got my dad to see the light

This is a discussion on Got my dad to see the light within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad and I got our carry permits at the same time. I started carrying with a round chambered right away. I couldnt convince my ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jwinston
  • 1 Post By Nam

Thread: Got my dad to see the light

My dad and I got our carry permits at the same time. I started carrying with a round chambered right away. I couldnt convince my dad to do so. He was convinced that he could draw and get one chambered just as quick as I could just draw. Im wasnt going to argue the point with him as that would be like fighting with a concrete block. He kept it in his back pocket(no pocket holster) which is fine if its not chambered. We got to talking again about it yesterday and you could see the wheels turning in his head when we talked at length about one in the pipe. He just didnt like the idea of a pocket holster. He wears suspenders all the time and therefore keeps his shirts in. And no IWB is not going to happen with this man. I told him about the small pouches for the belt, You know the ones that look like a larger cell case. Well he got one today and now likes the idea of having it on his side and NOW keeps one in the chamber. We talked about how the LCP didnt need a physical safety as the trigger pull was in fact the safety. I told him as long as the trigger is protected that the gun isnt going to jump out and start firing on its own. He loves the pouch to keep it in and I feel better that he is at the ready more now than before. I feel that the old man can handle his own if needed, now so more than ever.
    kmagnuss and phreddy like this.

good for you; what a great thing to share. there is no such thing as not having something to talk about now

Took your dad some time to work out the 'bugs', but it sound like things are going well now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's good news. IMO if you carry unchambered you aren't mentally prepared to carry at all, and are more likely to be "handing" over a gun to an assailant.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Us "old dogs" can learn a new trick now and then...

RKM
    I keep trying to convince my dad to keep his home defense Glock 19 loaded. He keeps the unloaded gun in the dresser and a loaded magazine on top of the TV stand, about 6' high. It really annoys me. He's afraid one of my sisters kids will find it when they're over. I can appreciate that. I want to buy him a GunVault. I don't thin he's interested though.

Nam
    Fathers Day is comming up, hint hint, wink.
    marcclarke likes this.

Glad you helped improve his readiness. Good deal.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links